Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 547
  1. #221  
    I wonder if the bug is actually all the Palm batteries produced during the same time. Does anyone know of a good generic battery company. I would like to try a off brand battery and see if it works better.
  2. zeeke42's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #222  
    Today is the first real battery life test. I took it off the charger when I left for work this morning and I'm not going to plug it in until it's almost dead.

    re: care and feeding of lithium ion batteries. Running it all the way down and fully charging once or twice will break in the battery and calibrate the battery meter. Once you do that, the best practice for long term battery health is charge early and often.
  3. D R
    D R is offline
    D R's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    #223  
    Hey all -

    I think I may have fixed my excessive heat/battery drain issue, although it's still early to tell. Like some others, I had battery life of about 3 hours with low use and the Pre became crazy hot while synching my email accounts for the first time.

    Yesterday I noticed that my phone was running relatively warm while in idle, indicating that something was running in the background. In contrast, my girlfriend's Pre is running just fine throughout the day under about the same amount of use, if not more.

    Last night I tried to essentially mirror her settings, installed apps, and activated features to see if it would resolve my battery problem. Our GPS settings were the same, but I uninstalled the apps using location services and disabled Facebook synching, plus a few other tweaks. So far, the heat issue has been resolved and the battery life is pretty decent. I will keep adding apps and services one at a time to see if I can pinpoint anything via the process of elimination, and repost my findings (If Palm doesn't issue an update first).
  4. #224  
    Guys,

    Anyone been trying usb chagring while at work. I don't seem to be charging, in fact it's slowly going down despite showing the charging icon. I haven't really been using it, although the signal is very weak. So it really shouldn't be pressured too hard
  5. NINnerd's Avatar
    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    #225  
    Well, I'm not "at work", but I've charged it with the USB plugged into my computer. It worked just fine.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    Today is the first real battery life test. I took it off the charger when I left for work this morning and I'm not going to plug it in until it's almost dead.
    Same here. I'm over halfway through the day with normal use - a few phone calls (no long concalls today yet tho), email syncing automatically on two Google accounts, and starting to get some texting from Macworld at the WWDC.

    I'm at 69% reported battery life as of 1:30 PM.
  7. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    Same here. I'm over halfway through the day with normal use - a few phone calls (no long concalls today yet tho), email syncing automatically on two Google accounts, and starting to get some texting from Macworld at the WWDC.

    I'm at 69% reported battery life as of 1:30 PM.
    Funny, because my battery life is always 69%. Never goes down.
  8. k1dude's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    Funny, because my battery life is always 69%. Never goes down.
    Feeding it Viagra?
  9. BenJoeM's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #229  
    Took it off charger at 8 am. Still don't have EAS setup on it. Received 6 emails, sent about 5 tweets and received two phone calls.

    Wifi off, bluetooth off.

    Phone back is hot and batter is now down to 45%.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  10. #230  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM View Post
    Took it off charger at 8 am. Still don't have EAS setup on it. Received 6 emails, sent about 5 tweets and received two phone calls.

    Wifi off, bluetooth off.

    Phone back is hot and batter is now down to 45%.
    Wow, you are chewing thru battery much faster than I am. Forgot to mention that I had wifi enabled for about an hour this morning as well. I've received around 15 emails and a half dozen texts.
  11. NOLApre's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #231  
    turning off the background info collection has made a decent change in battery life. it hasn't totally fixed the problem, but it seems to have made a noticeable difference....so far.
  12. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #232  
    When the phone gets hot ,
    Turn the phone to airplane mode for about 30 minutes by tapping on the battery icon on the upper right corner.

    Let the phone cool off for 5 minutes , then charge back 30 minutes. You should see the phone charge 50 % in 30 minutes.
  13. dtrose's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #233  
    You shouldn't have to do this!

    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    When the phone gets hot ,
    Turn the phone to airplane mode for about 30 minutes by tapping on the battery icon on the upper right corner.

    Let the phone cool off for 5 minutes , then charge back 30 minutes. You should see the phone charge 50 % in 30 minutes.
  14. BQ91's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #234  
    I know this sounds crazy, but setting Gmail to push as it arrives, instead of checking every 5- 15mins, seems to save battery life for me... anyone else try this?
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    I know this sounds crazy, but setting Gmail to push as it arrives, instead of checking every 5- 15mins, seems to save battery life for me... anyone else try this?
    Yep, and I agree.

    As an aside, updating on my battery status: 4:15 in the afternoon and 58%. Seems to be looking just fine to get me through the full day.
  16. #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrose View Post
    You shouldn't have to do this!
    Boy, I agree. If you have to switch to airplane mode for 30 minute chunks to cool things down, something is seriously wrong.

    I've been carrying mine in my pocket all day without any appreciable increase in temperature.
  17. #237  
    Alright, on the advice of the last few posters here, I'm changing 3 e-mail accounts (2 gmail, 1 institutional IMAP) to push to see if that helps me. Hopefully it will, and if it helps any, I should be pretty much set for my average daily use.

    *crosses fingers*
  18. #238  
    here is something i been noticing.. alot of people are saying all these issues..

    Lithium ION batteries need to cycle, in order to get their full potential.. my phone has been doing great.. its been on for 4.5 hours, with good use.. and surfing, and i still got 65% battery left.. sure.. its not the big time they said.. but its been getting better

    also, i have noticed the temps going down as it charges each time as well..
  19. k1dude's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #239  
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Alright, on the advice of the last few posters here, I'm changing 3 e-mail accounts (2 gmail, 1 institutional IMAP) to push to see if that helps me. Hopefully it will, and if it helps any, I should be pretty much set for my average daily use.

    *crosses fingers*
    Same here. I just switched mine to push to see if it makes a difference. If Palm knew of all these battery sucking features beforehand, they should at least given us a heads-up with a recommended settings list so we didn't have to figure them all out ourselves through bloody trial and error.
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
    here is something i been noticing.. alot of people are saying all these issues..

    Lithium ION batteries need to cycle, in order to get their full potential.. my phone has been doing great.. its been on for 4.5 hours, with good use.. and surfing, and i still got 65% battery left.. sure.. its not the big time they said.. but its been getting better

    also, i have noticed the temps going down as it charges each time as well..
    I have noticed mine has been cooler each time charging as well. It really only gets hot now if I'm using it and it's charging at the same time.

    And mine has been through several charge/discharge cycles as well, 2 full and some shorter ones, and mine basically drops to 60% after 4 hours of IDLE only, no usage at all. 65% remaining with 4.5 hours of even extremely light usage would be better than what I'm getting now.

    But I have faith that it will get better. Hopefully switching accounts to push will help me.

    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    Same here. I just switched mine to push to see if it makes a difference. If Palm knew of all these battery sucking features beforehand, they should at least given us a heads-up with a recommended settings list so we didn't have to figure them all out ourselves through bloody trial and error.
    There are some good battery tips in the manual on Palms website. IIRC, they say that push could be better or worse for battery, depending on your usage, ie how many e-mails you receive. But I think (and someone please check me on this), they recommended that, in general, EAS would be better in push than in set intervals, but that things like gmail would likely be better in set intervals than in push. But they did say it varied and it try different settings to see what worked best. At least that the impression I took away from reading that section.

Posting Permissions