Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    ^Lithium batteries have "no memory", so charging from 50 to 100 shouldn't have harmed anything at all. Letting it get all the way dead and recharging it should just help to possibly condition the battery and possibly the charging circuit, but it's not an official recommendation from Palm or anyone else really.

As far as it being bad to discharge lithium batteries all the way, modern batteries have circuitry built into them to keep you from discharging them to the point that they are damaged. You don't have to worry about damaging your battery from draining it in any way. However, it is generally better for lithiums to have more frequent, shorter charges than less frequent, deeper charges. But a full discharge and charge won't hurt it or you.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Also, another thing that will help is turning off the display when you are done using it, not letting it turn itself off. I have mine set to keep the display up for the shortest time possible (30 seconds). But I turn it off by quickly pressing the power button instead of letting the display turn itself off. Just an idea.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I think I figured out my 4 hour battery life and ridiculous overheating problem.

When I first picked up my phone the Sprint Rep told me to turn on the "Background Data Collection" feature under "Location Services". She told me it was necessary and I should always leave it on.

Well, after turning it off my phone has now been sitting idle and unplugged for 3 hours and it's not overheating. In the 3 hours it has only lost 12% of it's charge. That's still not great but it's WAY better than 4 hour total battery time I was experiencing previously.

But when I began to use the phone to check how it was doing 5 minutes ago, it got hot again. So it heats up rapidly when I use it for even simple tasks. But at least it isn't burning up while it was sitting on my desk like it has been doing the past 2 days.
    I've babied mine. Kept it on the touchstone when not in use. Tomorrow (work day) will be the real test. Never been below 70%. That was from Pandora streaming to my wireless A2DP headset while working through emails and playing with the phone.

I'm sure I'll get another Touchstone for work and a car adapter (I'm gonna hate using that trap door). Expensive, but worth it to keep flowing. May get another battery for the work fridge.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that you get better battery life if you enable IMAP and have it set to check as items arrive. The theory being that is more efficient versus the device going out to your provider at whatever interval regardless of there being mail to retrieve.
    That would depend on how often you get an email. So it's different for everyone. Like, if you get an email every 10 minutes, then checking every hour is better. But receiving them as they come in would be bad.
    But if you get an email every 3 hours, then checking every hour would be bad, and you should just have email sent to you as they come in.

Make sense?
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Ok, just read through the entire thread. I'm looking forward to charging it ALL night (and I sleep a lot...haha) and seeing how it does tomorrow. I haven't been charging it for more than about three hours at a time so far. I just take it off when it gets to 100%. But I don't think it's really at 100% unless it charges over-night.

This is my first smart phone. So of course, I'm a bit worried about the battery. I mean, with my old phones, I could use them moderately and get 2+ days out of them. But they also weren't as cool.

Oh, and to those complaining about having to turn off some features when you aren't using them - That's like complaining about your car having a bad battery life if you leave the lights and radio on over-night. LOL. If you aren't using it, why have it on (not talking about pushing email, etc...more talking about Locator and WiFi, etc.)?
    This thread has some good tips. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I may have spoke too soon. Since it was sitting there for 3 hours and only lost 12% after turning off the Background Data Collection, I decided to play around with the phone. I surfed this site and checked my email. I entered a few things on the calendar and in contacts. I noticed it began to heat up rapidly and got just as hot as before. I regularly checked battery consumption as I messed with the phone. I noticed I was burning up the battery at an average rate of 1% per minute. Not good.

At that rate I'll burn through my battery in 100 minutes of use. So I put the phone down and let it idle again. An hour later it had only lost 3%. So as long as I don't use it, it stays cool and doesn't burn through the battery. I guess it will be a good paperweight until some patches get released.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    I may have spoke too soon. Since it was sitting there for 3 hours and only lost 12% after turning off the Background Data Collection, I decided to play around with the phone. I surfed this site and checked my email. I entered a few things on the calendar and in contacts. I noticed it began to heat up rapidly and got just as hot as before. I regularly checked battery consumption as I messed with the phone. I noticed I was burning up the battery at an average rate of 1% per minute. Not good.

At that rate I'll burn through my battery in 100 minutes of use. So I put the phone down and let it idle again. An hour later it had only lost 3%. So as long as I don't use it, it stays cool and doesn't burn through the battery. I guess it will be a good paperweight until some patches get released.
    I would try to get another one. No heat issues for me.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    K1 - I'm not having as many problems with the battery that you are. Mine has gone faster than I thought, but not at 1% a minute. Maybe try switching it out for another one.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    my phone doesnt heat up...
    ok so I charged my phone yesterday at 4pm to 100% right now is 8 o'clock and i have 64% of battery left
    I have background collection on and gps location etc... it checks two email accounts every 10 minutes... I browsed some web for 20 minutes, read around 20 email and tweeted since yesterday 4pm. So for me the battery ain't so bad but could be better and btw I don't have screen problems :P
    Fully charged...again.. at 6PM last night. Went to bed with it at 50%. Woke up with it completely drained.
    and Natalie get a day and a half wtf!
    iPhone VS Palm's 'Pre' - CBS News Video
    Coming from a Touch Pro, I'm actually happy with the life I've gotten out of mine the first two days. I always charge my phones each night (all night). I the Pre off the charger yesterday morning at 6:30 a.m., and I pulled it out 2-3 times each hour playing or checking email/web sites/apps 5-10 minutes each time.

I got a warning that I had 20 percent juice left at 8:15 p.m. last night. My Touch Pro would have given me that warning at around 3 p.m. for the same use.

I'm checking Gmail every 30 minutes, but I may try "as items arrive" today to see the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Fully charged...again.. at 6PM last night. Went to bed with it at 50%. Woke up with it completely drained.
    Fully charged at 1:30am. Removed from charger ran browser for 1/2 hour. At 6am about 35% charge. Another 15 minutes of browsing and at 26%. Nothing else running. Also, definitely hot when sitting supposedly doing nothing (except the occasional automatic email synch.)
    Anyone else notice that the battery icon when charging has the little lightning bolt.... (I have touchstone)

but when It reaches its 100% mark, it still says its charging...

Maybe a problem, maybe not... just throwing that out there...
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    In my fair opinion, I've found the battery life so far to be rather acceptable. Went from 85% to 30% over a 10 hr shift, with a weak signal, 45-60 min of web usage, 20 min of just fiddling with settings and showing off. I can live with that.

Not quite as good as my curve, but eons better than my mogul.
    i can only see battery life improving with time.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Anyone else notice that the battery icon when charging has the little lightning bolt.... (I have touchstone)

Mine still has the lightning bolt at 100%, however, the little battery underneath the lightning bolt is green, not white anymore. So that tells me it's 100%.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post

thats a problem with your pre and/or the stone i would say...

i have the touchstone too and the battery meter turns green when 100% and the charging text goes away
    I started the day at 8am fully charged over night and I have everything off wifi, bluetooth and email is set as it arrives and i have yet to get one today. I am down to 88% and all i have done is check twice to see where the battery is at. There is some major memory leakage somewhere that is just draining the battery and i think the crazy sprint network is causing the battery death too. My Coverage goes full to 1 bar to roaming back to full all day and it seems to be a problem with the phone then sprint. I have my 755p still and the coverage is very stable. I am a little worried right now but it is day 3 and i have faith.....if six months go by and not a word....thats when i will start to cry.