Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    No offense, but I don't see why you should leave location services on if it's sitting on your hip at work inside a building. The fact it will auto-seek if you pull open google maps or Telenav seems good enough.

Ditto for AIM or gtalk-- unless I'm actively expecting to talk to people there's no reason to stay online, especially when people can always send you a text.

The general thing is turning off what you aren't using. I've done this on every phone I've owned to date and see no reason why the Pre would miraculously defy the laws of physics to overcome this shortcoming.

So there may be a day some time in the future when our phones all have little fusion cells that allow us to run EVDO, Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, Email push, active IM connections, and more 24/7-- but if you aren't using it, it'd still be wasteful.

At current, the Pre should be thought of as a swiss army knife. A useful multipurpose tool that is dang near useless if everything is open at once.
    x2, you got yours out before mine. That one bold sentence is the best explanation I have seen, including my long arse post.
    Haven't had any drain problems as of yet, turned on WiFi as stated by Cnet from Palm. Everything is running smooth, I do hope we see a high cap battery coming soon.
    I am getting decent battery life. Took off Touchstone at 9am.. A fair amount of usage today and it's 10:34pm now with 5% left. Last time I tried to run it down it still went 30 min. after it said 0%. This is only my 2nd full charge. I expect it will get better like most Li-ion batteries after 5-6 charges.

oh, and this is with WIFI and BT on all day.. also signed into AIM the entire time. about 70% of usage has been on WIFI.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I have a dream, one day we can be connected by whatever services that's allowed and don't worry about battery life; I have a dream, one day we can keep our screen as bright as the sun all the time without worrying about the battery life; I have a dream, one day we don't have to worry about batteries on all phones, Palm, BB, iPhone, etc.

Well I know that's not a very good parody of Dr. King, but since we have a black president now, let's all be hopeful.

In the mean time, get many Touchstones and put every place you are going to stay long than 20 minutes. That way, the phone is always charged.
    A nuclear device.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    The best tip is to return the phone.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    All phones that I have had, had problems. At least the Instinct gave you 2 batteries. I just bite the bullet and buy 2 extra to keep with me.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast View Post
    They said that so they could continue to scam customers by not having a removable battery.
    +1
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I am also experiencing battery drainage. I have shut off auto locate, set mail to as it arrives, lowered the screen brightness. I am using WiFi exclusively in my house. It appears to help. Only had to recharge twice today so far. This is a big worry for me. I also updated the software as suggested.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I have had wifi on all day and have gmail to receive email as it comes. Location/GPS is on ask for use.

Took it off the charger about 10AM and its currently 8:30PM with 57% left.
    Used about above average today. Looked at settings, used google maps, text and with pictures, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I have had wifi on all day and have gmail to receive email as it comes. Location/GPS is on ask for use.

Used about above average today. Looked at settings, used google maps, text and with pictures, etc.
    Geez, there are a couple of you guys getting these great numbers. Hopefully Palm can get something sorted out to get everyone to the same level of performance as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post

That actually sounds great, considering wifi was on all day. My (pos) Mogul has a stupid, stupid wifi switch on the side. If I ever see my battery dropping like a rock, I look and see that my pocket turned the wifi switch on again.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    What about turning off the Backup option anything on this?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I have a question for gmail doesn't this idle for IMAP there is no Longer intervals for mail checks correct?
    It sounds like there are a handful of faulty units. That really hot phone and short battery life happened at the iPhone launch as well i remember.

My buddies was great, playing with it through the last half of the game tonight with wi fi on I only got it down to 88%.
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    And yet the BB Curve 8330 will last for 2 days with GPS, BT, IM, push email, etc all on and active.
    Since when? I have had one for a year and it is ALWAYS below 50% after a day and at least a couple of times a month it either dies or I am in grave danger of it dying before I can get home.

And I have two batteries with the same performance so it can't be that.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    My Curve last a while....unless google Latitude or AIM/GChat is running.

Then its a day.
    My pre has issues but the battery lasts just as long as my iphone did. I love the pre, I really don't know what you guys expected from a phone.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Homie View Post
    Since when? I have had one for a year and it is ALWAYS below 50% after a day and at least a couple of times a month it either dies or I am in grave danger of it dying before I can get home.

And I have two batteries with the same performance so it can't be that.
    The Curve lasts forever. I'd charge it maybe three/four times a week. Pushing 5 email accounts, moderate Pandora use.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Overall I'm impressed with the pre, but I have to throw my me-too in here: the battery life is indeed disnal. I got just 8 houts of moderate use in and it's dead. Sigh.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Everyone should run their battery down until there's almost nothing left. Then charge it all up without taking it off the charger. That should re-calibrate the battery meter so you get more accurate results. From then on battery life and durability is maximized by trying to always keep it at a high percent.
    Does this work even after you have charged it to 100% from about 50%? I bought it, brought it home, and the battery was at 50%. So I charged it to 100%. Will the phone/battery think that that was a full charge? IE: Will I only get 50% of my total battery forever now?
    After I did that, I let the phone get all the way down to like, 5%, then I charged it up. Will this do the trick? Thanks!

ETA: Just read that this isn't good for this type of battery. ???