Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got my phone early this morning, played with it till the battery ran out...

Then I plugged it back in to charge, but the recharging indicator (giant battery icon) hasn't changed in about 45 minutes. And when I unplug it it still shows the charging icon.

So it appears to be frozen... Any suggestions? The documentation that came in the box has no info on this type of problem or even instructions for resetting the phone.

I WANNA PLAY WITH MY PRE!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Hold down the button at the top right of the device for about 3-5 seconds and that should turn it off completely. Then do the same to turn it back on.
  3.    #3  
    I tried holding down the power button for several seconds; nothing happens.

I can't Open Device Info because the screen is frozen on the gigantic battery icon.

No matter what I do I am stuck with the giant battery on my screen.

SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Someone posted a link to the PDF User Guide earlier. Search for it in this forum.

Meanwhile, Unplug from charger, open battery cover, remove & replace battery?
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Hold down the power button and move the ringer switch back and forth 3 times quickly to do a soft reset.
    I'm having the same problem! HELPPPPPPP... I did the soft reset - i took the battery out and all the people on tech support can tell me is it needs to charge for 5 hours?!?! I also don't know if my sprint person gave me the right car charger.. it doesn't say it's for the pre...it says its a micro usb...it says a bunch of phones one of which is the razor...does that sound wrong....???

I want to play with my phone tooo
  7.    #7  
    Removing and replacing the battery got it to reboot... and it looked like it was working fine, but it's frozen again. This time on the "card" screen, rather than the battery icon.

Same thing, when I unplug it, the battery icon indicates it is still charging.

Man this is frustrating!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I was told not to remove the battery without the phone being off. It can cause memory problems.
    I'd try a hard reset before you plug it back into the charger.

1. Open Device Info .
    2. Tap Phone Reset Options.
    3. Do one of the following:
    * Erase all data from the phone except stored items such as pictures, videos, and
    music: Tap Partial Erase twice.
    * Erase all data from the phone: Tap Full Erase twice. (All data from all accounts is
    erased from your phone, including information about your Palm profile. But all your
    data on the Web—in your online accounts and in your Palm profile—is untouched.
    Perform a full erase when you give your phone to somebody else and you don’t
    want that person to be able to access your data. Also, before giving your phone to
    another person, you must manually delete all the apps you installed, because they
    reappear on your phone after a full erase (see “Delete an Application” on page 62).
    After a full erase, sign in to your Palm profile—this restores your Palm profile data
    and information from online accounts, but not your stored files such as pictures,
    videos, and music. You can also sign in to your Palm profile on a new phone and
    restore your data to the new phone.)

Oh and here's a link to the thread discussing the PDF user guide:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ser-guide.html
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I'd try a hard reset before you plug it back into the charger.
    I would, but it isn't an option as the screen is frozen and not reacting to anything I do.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Remove battery again to reboot (since that worked before). Then Full Erase before plugging it back in to charger.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Remove battery again to reboot (since that worked before). Then Full Erase before plugging it back in to charger.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Grim, but I don't think you're understanding what's happening here.

After I put the battery back in, it goes straight to the palm screen and then to the card view... But i still can't do anything in it. The screen is frozen and doesn't react to anything.

So doing a Full Erase is not an option!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    That's wierd. A battery remove worked for me. Maybe keep it out for a little while before re-inserting?
    OK I get it now.

Possibly another option...

Have you already created a Palm Profile?

1. On your computer, go to palm.com/support
    2. Enter your Palm profile email address and password
    3. Click Wipe Device to remotely reset your phone.

After the full erase, turn on your phone and sign in to your existing Palm profile—do not create
    a new profile! Any data that has been backed up to your profile, including third-party applications, is restored to your phone. Information from online accounts you synchronize
    with—such as Google or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync—is restored to your phone also
  15.    #15  
    Grim, thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I ended up rebooting it again by taking the battery out (which, incidentally, was terrifying & I totally thought I was going to snap the cover in half, but thankfully it popped off as designed). But this time I patiently waited until the Palm logo went away and the desktop appeared before trying anything else (ie, plugging it in).

It's currently functioning fine. I'm going to plug it in and take a nap shortly, but I'll let everyone know if I have any other issues.

Again, thanks for the help!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    I was using wifi on my Pre for a OS update. I left it for like 10 minutes and came back to a dead phone. I hit the power button nothing. Plugging in the phone to the wall or car charger for an extended period of time didn't fix it.

Come to find out if you let your Pre completely die...this may happen. No matter how long you try to charge it, the Pre will not turn on.

FIX: Take off the batter cover, remove the battery. Put the battery back in and hit the power button. The phone should come back on and you want to make sure you start charging this immediately. (This told to me while at Sprint store, I also saw it happen that way.)

I was freaking out that my Pre died in one day. Only the manager who had more extensive Pre training knew about this at the corporate store that I went to to get my Pre fixed. All other associates were not aware of this...until me!
    I noticed in the store, that when it is frozen holding the power button doesn't unfreeze it, in fact the clerk froze the phone and couldn't get it unfrozen. I told him to pull the battery, but he just gave me a new phone.

I froze it again today and had to pull the battery.
    Store I was at had one lock up and she tossed it in a bin straight away and went back to get a new one. Ouch.
    i'm having the same problem. whenever the battery dies the only way to bring back the phone to life is by removing the battery.
    +1 to this battery freeze problem. I thought I was alone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast