• yes

55 58.51%
  • no

39 41.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Too hot? No

Warm? Yes
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Mine gets kinda warm sometime, nothing that worries me though. I manage to drain my battery to 18% in about 5 1/2 hours. But I was on the internet non stop that whole time so I wouldn't call it bad
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Almost any phone will get hot. It's normal.
    My phone was getting pretty hot on the backside while charging it when I first got home. But mine seemed to go away when I downloaded the update....I dunno...maybe the update fixed the charging parameters?? And this is just my observation, but Im a phone *****(I usually get a new one every year when they come out) and I had NEVER experienced this on any other phone before. Hope this helps!!
    The back was hot when I charged the phone the first time. No problems with overheating since then.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Good god.. Chill .. Its gunna be quite warm. It is a tiny laptop...

Battery is gunna suck if you use it hard _ until they tweak it out some.

Turn off wifi and gps...
  7.    #27  
    Ok...as I started this thread...I have the update on the second phone that has the same problem as the first. This is DEFINITELY not normal.

I charged the battery up to 98% (while charging, the keyboard part was HOT , not warm...I didn't not want to touch it due to the HOT temperature). So, I unplugged it - it remains very, very warm (not as hot as plugged in)...and I made 3 1-minute phone calls. Phone is dead after 4 hours! I did notice that for about 20 minutes that the phone was roaming, the heat disappeared...then when it went back on the Sprint network, it got very, very warm again. It seems to be doing that when it is connected to the Data network. This is useless. I don't know if the Sprint store I got it from had a batch of defective phones...if that's the case, my third replacement might have the same problem. I love the phone (web OS is great), but it is NOT usable since most of the battery life is spent in unnecessary heat (out of curiosity, I removed the back cover to see where the heat is coming from - it's at the compartment below the battery, the battery itself was not hot)

I got the phone from the Sprint store in Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ.

Going back to the NOT NORMAL part - a friend of mine got the Pre and he has no such heating problems...his battery life is still around 90% after 5 hours of minimal usage.

This could have been an iphone killer, but not with this MAJOR hardware issue.

The other problem that I have is that I might have hard time getting a replacement - just went to another store and they were sold out; I was told to go to the original store. So, I might have just to return it and wait until this is FIXED. At least my Treo 800w never had such a problem.

Maybe Palm will get a hint if people keep returning these defective phones!
    Nothing more than my Centro. If I was on a call for 20 minutes on my Centro I had to put it down because it got so hot.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I just want to make a note here that it's not necessarily the battery that is getting hot. I opened up the back panel earlier to see where the battery is located exactly, and it's on the upper part of the phone. However, it appears to be the bottom part of the phone, behind the keyboard, that is getting extremely warm.

I had hoped that it was simply a battery issue and that maybe a new one would fix the problem, but now I'm wondering if it's the phone itself.

Edit - Okay, or what alexiou said.
    Last edited by Big Dookie; 06/06/2009 at 07:49 PM.
    Been using Panora for last four hours. Battery 76% Wifi - Off Bluetooth - Off
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    It definitely get hot, way hotter thhan my Treo ever got. In fact I never noticed my treo even getting warm. But this thing is much smaller and lighter than the Treo. not much there in the ability to disipate the heat.

time will tell all
    I agree the pre gets very hot in charge mode and the battery life stinks! my hand feels a little strange after holding the pre...not a pain but certainly some discomfort.
    alexiou,
    Try pulling the battery out to reset the phone. Are you in a weak coverage area for Sprint?
    I have the same problem. I like to charge my phones before I go to sleep. I hope I don't wake up one morning and my Pre is melted goo.
    My Pre is pretty warm after I remove it from the Touchstone. Just warm though, not hot. And, it doesn't last long. Five minutes later and it's cooled considerably.

Not warmer than my Mogul or Touch Pro, so I'm not fretting it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    People are out of their minds if they think the Pre is too warm. You want an example of warm? Leave the GPS enabled on a Touch Pro - now THAT gets HOT.

That said, compared to the Pre, the Pre gets lukewarm, even while charging. I find it amazing that it doesn't heat up very much, even though GPS is enabled 24/7
    would be inclined to say no right now, but it did get a little warm while i was watching a video
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    I think some people's battery problem might be coverage. I fully charged it at noon, been using my phone since 4pm non stop, 1 hour call using bluetooth headset, texting and picture mailing, my battery is at 70%. I have full bars and set to sprint only. My friend who i was texting and was on that call with and picture mailing, he's at 48% but said his phone is jumping back and forward on sprint and roaming so it seems that drains the battery a lot.

as for heat, it gets no hotter then my iphone and my friend said his mogul gets a bit hotter while on charger and on long calls.
    have the same heat issue nothing major but def noticable especially when i was downloading the update off of evdo but i was also going in and out of coverage (which is another issue) which i hope only is because of the Pre release and the 4g upcoming ...

I think it also maybe a coverage thing and it may drain the battery somewhat but nothing drastic, charged it and by 1230 today it was at 100, at 730 it was down to 14% with usage all day long playing ...
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    I think some people's battery problem might be coverage. I fully charged it at noon, been using my phone since 4pm non stop, 1 hour call using bluetooth headset, texting and picture mailing, my battery is at 70%. I have full bars and set to sprint only. My friend who i was texting and was on that call with and picture mailing, he's at 48% but said his phone is jumping back and forward on sprint and roaming so it seems that drains the battery a lot.

as for heat, it gets no hotter then my iphone and my friend said his mogul gets a bit hotter while on charger and on long calls.
    Anyone know how the phone decides when to roam?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Havent had any serious heat issues, its warm but not unusually hot.

The touchstone gets upto 113 degrees according to reviews but the phone cools to 90 degrees within minutes of being removed from the touchstone. Not a big concern.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast