Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    YOu just need to slid the keyboard open to wake the Pre up without the lock screen cuchanu.

And my touch screen has worked thru my pants I guess from my thigh.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    something rooting or a patch can solve?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I hated the lock feature on my Treo 650, but it served a much more useful purpose than on the Pre for reasons explained here by others. My only grief with it on the Pre is when my alarm goes off and I have to unlock the phone (while half asleep) before i can snooze/dismiss it.
    Also remember that the screen is big and most of the front of the phone. If someone texts you, the screen turns on. If you had no lock on the phone you would mostly likely start hitting buttons and activating things just getting the stupid thing out of your pocket.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkat View Post
    I hated the lock feature on my Treo 650, but it served a much more useful purpose than on the Pre for reasons explained here by others. My only grief with it on the Pre is when my alarm goes off and I have to unlock the phone (while half asleep) before i can snooze/dismiss it.
    Heh, that is good. It will force me to stop hitting the snooze 5 times, before I actually wakeup.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    I don't know if I need the lock button disabled for me, but I would love to disable the volume keys, that is driving me crazy. My volume keeps getting adjust by mistake. I'm left handed and it's almost impossible not to hit it accidentally.

And when I put it in the pouch and place it into my belt holder case, the pouch pressure hits the volume keys.

I would be more than happy to adjust the volume within the software.

So that is what I need.

Rob

PS I would also love a 'RESET' app. I find it hard to do a reset using the keyboard.

My Treo had a simple app to do a reset of the phone.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I don't know if I need the lock button disabled for me, but I would love to disable the volume keys, that is driving me crazy. My volume keeps getting adjust by mistake. I'm left handed and it's almost impossible not to hit it accidentally.

And when I put it in the pouch and place it into my belt holder case, the pouch pressure hits the volume keys.

I would be more than happy to adjust the volume within the software.

So that is what I need.

Rob

PS I would also love a 'RESET' app. I find it hard to do a reset using the keyboard.

My Treo had a simple app to do a reset of the phone.
    I agree about the volume thing, although I always put it in my belt pouch with the volume rocker up, so that the pouch doesn't adjust anything.

You can resent 3 ways that I know of. One is with the keyboard. Another has to do with holding the power button while turning the ringer switch on and off. And finally, going to Device Info and scrolling down reveals reset options (or a button that leads to them).

I also agree that disabling the unlocking would be nice. Very nice.

(I also admit that I once turned my phone on with my thigh... actually I accidentally hung up on someone at Sprint when I put the phone on my lap for a second.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I've never had an accidental phone call when my phone was awake in my pocket, but I have pulled my phone out and have 5 cards open that weren't there when I put it away. This is just to show that even though the screen is capacitive, its still possible to register a tap if its not your finger.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Yes, i hate to swipe to answer a phone call! It's hit and miss for me. Also, if you have the phone in direct sunlight, the swipe will not work. Why can't you press the ball in the middle to answer? I'm so ready to go back to the Centro.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuchanu View Post
    In fact, you should be able to press the button on the bottom, whatever it's called, to wake up the phone, or even just press the screen if that's what you want..

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I have sent palm requests asking about using the gesture button to turn the screen on instead of the top button (the top right button has you pushing the slider the wrong way if you have fat finders and it's not that convenient)

I wish more would request this option.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuchanu View Post
    There is no excuse for Palm to not allow you to disable the lock. In fact, you should be able to press the button on the bottom, whatever it's called, to wake up the phone, or even just press the screen if that's what you want.
    I, too, have missed calls because the slide up feature doesn't always respond as it should.
    Pressing the power button and sliding up is an awkward combination, not to mention completely redundant.
    While i agree with you that the slider gets redundant (to the point where i almost feel like im wearing it out, but thats me worrying since my phone is a week old now) I dont think that the center button is a very good thing to use to wake up the phone since it actually protrudes from the phone. how ever i think there should be a way to CUSTOMIZE the feature to be honest... i feel like the pre needs way more customizable options for every little thing. the current options are alright for... average users, but i think there should be a setting that you can turn on that gives you the ability to customize way more than you can now, whether its disabling the lock, how the phone turns on, or individual system sound volumes ETC.

*Sigh* if only i could code...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    This issue was particularly annoying when on touchstone (when we don't have to worry about draining battery due to always on screen).

One fix is to download the digital clock homebrew and keep this app open when on touchstone. that keeps screen from locking. there may be other apps that accomplish this as well but this is my solution to keep things open and screen on when on the 'stone
    Agree with CUSTOMIZATION. Everyones needs are different. But out of the gate this is where Palm has completely failed, no doubt about it. For such an advanced phone you would think common features and customization would be included.
    Seriously what is wrong with you people !! He asked a damn question and all he get is whats wrong with the screen lock and I like my screen lock! WHO gives a damn!! I have the same prob and I DONT NEED the screen lock. No i dont put it my pocket or anything and when it goes into standby or whatever u call it, one can only bring up the screen by pushing the top button! Then oh there is the screen lock christ I cant believe there is no way to disable that thing! If u dont have an answer dont REPLY!!! Sorry to all but so many damnm times I go into a forum and eveyone dances around **** and all the person wanted was a answer YES OR NO and how !!
    Quote Originally Posted by lyono View Post
    Seriously what is wrong with you people !! He asked a damn question and all he get is whats wrong with the screen lock and I like my screen lock! WHO gives a damn!! I have the same prob and I DONT NEED the screen lock. No i dont put it my pocket or anything and when it goes into standby or whatever u call it, one can only bring up the screen by pushing the top button! Then oh there is the screen lock christ I cant believe there is no way to disable that thing! If u dont have an answer dont REPLY!!! Sorry to all but so many damnm times I go into a forum and eveyone dances around **** and all the person wanted was a answer YES OR NO and how !!
    Who elected you God?
    Quote Originally Posted by lyono View Post
    Calm down.

The first person to respond answered in the first sentence.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Um, I'm confused. Someone up there said they had missed a lot of calls due to the screen lock and not being able to drag the icon up quick enough. Why don't you just slide the phone open to answer the call? They couldn't leave it as a simple touch like it is when your screen is not locked because let's say your phone is in your pocket, screen locked, call comes in, thigh touches green button and voila, you now have someone on the line that can hear whatever it is your saying or doing and that might not be pretty.

Oh and for what it's worth I've found that a right sweeping arc of my thumb works just fine, I don't have to throw it 100% up like someone mentioned, but you do have to throw it all the way off the SIDE. Maybe it's just all y'alls manly gorilla hands?

"The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand please mash the keypad with your palm...now."
    I use my iPod connected via the Aux port (I have the first-gen Nano) when driving in my car. I set it on a closed cubbyhole below and slightly forward of the middle armrest, turn it on Shuffle, and I've gotten used to hitting the Next/Previous button w/o taking my eyes off the road.

The only problem with this is when I get a call on my phone. The phone is paired with my car's Bluetooth, so when I get a call, the sound from the iPod cuts out (but the song continues to play in the background), so if I don't hit Pause on the iPod, I miss some of the song.

I just got my Pre, and the music player sounds pretty darn good, and I'm thinking that I could get used to either gesturing for the next song, or touching the Next/Previous sections on the Pre. Also, if you get a call while listening to music, the music automatically pauses, and resumes after you hang up. That would solve my "having to manually pause the iPod when I get a call" problem.

But, I'd think that it'd be really annoying having to hit the power button and "slide to unlock" if/when I wanted to navigate between songs. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to add another option of "Never" to the "Turn off after" option?
    +39
  20. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Everybody has their preference. I dislike the lock, worst part of the phone. But palm needs to let the user decide how the lock feature works. Its my problem if my phone calls someone in my pocket. Let me decide! Half my day the phone sits on my desk at work. Doesn't need to be locked. Again same thing at home.

The lock screen is bad, very bad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast