Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The idea is that (like any computer) you should remove the power source without doing a full shutdown. If you do, it could corrupt the firmware.
  2. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    sounds like the mac genius who said I shouldn't move my macbook more than a few feet even if it's asleep.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I think the reps mean do not remove the battery while its syncing or updating, other wise, from a few hours of purchasing it, it should be rather safe, i'm looking to get an expanded battery. SEIDO
    My pre would not activate, so an actual Palm rep was in the Sprint store, and he called a direct number to Palm's "War Room". They told him to pull the battery, and he freaked. "All the documentation I have here says NOT to pull the battery". They insisted, he did, and the phone activated. Misinformation at many levels it seems.
    I was also told that using a standard micro usb car charger, HAS to be a Palm. That makes no sense.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    I was also told that using a standard micro usb car charger, HAS to be a Palm. That makes no sense.
    That is rubbish. I just used my 3rd party charger and cables. The charger just has to output 1A @ 5V.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I believe they warn againt this due to the LONNNNNGGGGG start up time after you remove the battery. its very sluggish for the first 10 minutes or so after removing and reinserting the battery
    Quote Originally Posted by eguy View Post
    guys,

i took the battery out and my pre exploded. I am covered in plastic shards. Please help!

roflmfao!!!!!
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    So... I go in and get my Pre this morning, and on the top of the box there is a little slip the store had printed out and taped on.

Has support phone numbers, helpful stuff like that.

But on the top in bold, red text "Never remove the battery from the phone, bring it to a Sprint Service and Repair center".

The rep more or less says "don't ever remove the battery or you'll fry the phone."

WTF?

I guess that's one way to get some extra revenue into their service centers.

Anyone else told something similar?
    They were trying to sell me a car charger so bad they were telling me that the battery won't last a day and that if you use the phone with the power cord plugged in you will fry to the charging port on the phone. haha.
    I wasn't given the warning. In fact, the employee who sold me the phone was the "advocate" and she told me that she's had to remove the battery a couple of times because of lock ups.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Mine froze completly twice so I removed battery. No trouble. Hasn't froze since I did the update. Battery life on this puppy does not seem to be too good, so I will want to be able to exchange the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadoX View Post
    When I bought mine at the spring store the reps were saying "DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY! You will lose all your information and the phone with crash and be locked and you will have to bring it back." They were really adamant about it too.
    Plain and simple, they are liars!

I've already removed and replaced my battery twice because the phone was locked up and I had no other recourse.

Information was still there and phone was not locked, and (thank god) I didn't have to go back to the Sprint store.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    try not to remove the battery. that is really good advice. it really should be your last resort.

right before you remove the battery, try this. hold power button down and slide the ringer switch back and forth three times.

or, press orange+sym+r.

if that doesn't work (give it a few seconds to take effect), then pull the battery.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    so, my phone froze, and I had to remove the battery (no soft restart combo would work)

did anyone else find the battery very hard to remove? I think I bent the phone trying to get it out.
    My acitivation took a while because of my data plan, rep had to call CS.
    Anyway the phone died right after activation and he plugged it in, it had a picture of a plug on it and an exclamation point. Anyway the phone froze. He hit the key combo 5 times, he did the phone switch thing with the pwr about 50 times, it would not shut off, even holding the power button.

Being the old Treophite, I told him to pull the battery, he refused, instead choosing to replace the phone. I have pulled my battery twice, once during calendar sync which was huge, and 1 time browsing it froze. Pulling the battery did nothing that I could tell, phone was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    so, my phone froze, and I had to remove the battery (no soft restart combo would work)

did anyone else find the battery very hard to remove? I think I bent the phone trying to get it out.
    Mine was pretty hard to remove, but I was able to just pull on the ribbon really hard and it came out. No wedging or bending or flexing the phone at all. Did you not use the ribbon?
    what I find weird about the idea that pulling the battery will fry your phone is why Palm would even bother putting a removable battery on the Pre if this were true. if it actually bricks when you pull the battery, theyʻd have seen the problem in beta testing and fixed it, or put a non removable iPhone type battery instead if the bricking problem couldnʻt be solved. IMO, I think whoever is writing the CS memos is pulling things out of his ****, heʻs probably also the reason every CS person has been so confused these last few weeks
    garinballbarin
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by examancer View Post
    Mine was pretty hard to remove, but I was able to just pull on the ribbon really hard and it came out. No wedging or bending or flexing the phone at all. Did you not use the ribbon?
    yes, I pulled on the ribbon. the right corner would pop out, but the left wouldn't.

the thing is, I think there is a crack on the screen now. I don't know if it was there before, but I don't know what to do. I really don't want to pay the $100 deductible because the phone is buggy, froze itself, and the battery was impossibly hard to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Guys,

I took the battery out and my pre exploded. I am covered in plastic shards. Please help!
    Call 911, fast! ... Oh, you can't, d'oh!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    yes, I pulled on the ribbon. the right corner would pop out, but the left wouldn't.

the thing is, I think there is a crack on the screen now. I don't know if it was there before, but I don't know what to do. I really don't want to pay the $100 deductible because the phone is buggy, froze itself, and the battery was impossibly hard to remove.
    I believe there's a waranty period. Just take the phone back to the store and see if they'll exchange it for you.
    so basically theres no big deal in removing the battery? i plan on getting at least 2 batteries since the battery life reviews havent been too super duper
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast