1.    #1  
    2 screen/text navigation issues/questions from a (former) Treo user:

- Has anyone discovered or located a "tab" equivalent to jump between clickable items on a web page a-la the 5 way on the Treo. My thumb is looking forlornly for the 5 way...

- Similar question re inserting and going backwards within a word you typed without deleting the letters. On the Treo, you could use the 5 way to move back in a word to make corrections. Without the 5 way, your only choice of keyboard options is the backspace, but this deletes the letters. Is there a key combination to move back without deleting? You have to be VERRY nimble with your fingers to place the insertion point RIGHT where you want it withing a word... the 5 way is already missed...

Diclaimer: I have NOT read the manual yet BUT I did search the threads.

Thanks in advance!
    ETUTREO300
    Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    Good question, I hope someone can shed some light on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ETUTREO300 View Post

- Similar question re inserting and going backwards within a word you typed without deleting the letters. On the Treo, you could use the 5 way to move back in a word to make corrections. Without the 5 way, your only choice of keyboard options is the backspace, but this deletes the letters. Is there a key combination to move back without deleting? You have to be VERRY nimble with your fingers to place the insertion point RIGHT where you want it withing a word... the 5 way is already missed...

Diclaimer: I have NOT read the manual yet BUT I did search the threads.

Thanks in advance!
    READ THE MANUAL! In the meantime, try holding down the ORANGE key and then moving right or left on the touchscreen!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    READ THE MANUAL! In the meantime, try holding down the ORANGE key and then moving right or left on the touchscreen!
    How do you move right??? That begs the question I asked re a 5 way equivalentkeyboard option. There is NO "right" key, nor left for tt bmatter... Left option is only the backspace key which deletes text. Adding orange tab does nothing.

There must be a solution... this is a BIG ommission in my book if it does not exist.
    ETUTREO300
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Hold down the shift key, and move to the left or right in the gesture area to scrub back and forth in words.

As far as a tab key goes, there is none, and nor should there be- everything's clickable.
  6.    #6  
    Sweet, Buyrihm... That did it. I huestured on the word, rather than the gesture area, while holding down the shift (up arrow) key... that moves the cursor back and forth within the word.. not as elegant as the 5 way, but does the trick!!!

Ok... I am going to download and read my manual now, but you saved me SOOOO much frustration.

Re tabbing.. yeah.. clickable.. but you have to have the website large enough to not overclick on the wrong spot... would prefer a one handed 5 way like option.
    ETUTREO300
    I have to agree that it is very frustrating. I don't know why they didn't allow holding the orange/shift button down while pushing the backspace key so that it would move over the letters instead of deleting them.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I find alot of the time just hitting enter moves me to the next field to be filled out on a form but I am looking fwd to better txt editing and a better spell checker
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Hold down the shift key, and move to the left or right in the gesture area to scrub back and forth in words.

As far as a tab key goes, there is none, and nor should there be- everything's clickable.
    This does not seem to work for me. I'm on 1.0.3, have advanced gestures enabled, and tried this within an email I was composing with no luck.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post

Still, this gets rid of one-handed use...

can webOS support different resolutions? If it can, I wouldn't mind seeing webOS on a form factor like one of the old Treos; 5way, dedicated home/calendar/contacts buttons, keyboard, touchscreen. Even with gestures and the narrow keyboard, you just can't get a real one-handed use device anymore.

How can I walk to the office with coffee in one hand and my phone in the other and do what I need to do? Right now, my only options are BlackBerry OS, WinMo, and PalmOS. They are true one-handed use devices.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Tip: with key depressed, any area of the screen - except the gesture area - can be used to move the anchored cursor.

Don't point at the location on the screen where you want the cursor to be. Point well below it so you can watch the cursor move above your fingertip.

Two functions:

Hold the Orange Key to move insertion point forward, back, up or down.

Hold the Shift Key to select forward, back, up or down.
    Last edited by kabamm; 06/24/2009 at 12:42 AM.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    The system above works ok. It isn't as elegant as the iphone's nor as accurate but better than trying to pinpoit tap the cursor because the software recognition of where your finger actually is works fairly poorly.

I like the orange key / back space or shift back space qorking like that and that should be fairly easy to implement.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Tip: with key depressed, any area of the screen - except the gesture area - can be used to move the anchored cursor.

Don't point at the location on the screen where you want the cursor to be. Point well below it so you can watch the cursor move above your fingertip.

Two functions:

Hold the Orange Key to move insertion point forward, back, up or down.

Hold the Shift Key to select forward, back, up or down.
    This does make it easier but I have to agree wi/bob-c that they should allow holding one of the buttons with the delete key to go back with out deleting.