Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44449505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1089
    Hi StonyRyno,
    For a couple days I had normal phone operation.

but tonight even though min bright patch still UNinstalled I got the black screen, no response to touch or power button. Had to use the orange key reset to get the call to disconnect!. Going to UNinstall EVERYTHING and see if the phone app still is buggy. Starting to bum me out!

I uninstalled EVERYTHING except :

Preware
    Classic
    Internalz
    GNU patch
    LsDiff
    FileMgr
    Ferrets Theme

Tried to make outgoing calls again - phone went non responsive, black screen.

Tried from tapping call history, contacts, universal search, speed dial, keyboard open, keyboard closed, on the touchstone, off the touchstone. Each time I got the black screen, call completed but without a visible screen I could not access menus, could not disconnect call except by utilizing the orange/symbol/R reboot!

Pulled battery, replaced tried all above again - no go!

Battery was 100% when I started these tests at 7:30 pm; only went down to 67% by 11:32 with uncountable numbers of reboots - between patch & app removals as well as call tests!

So I doubt very much if this is a battery related issue!
    All other functions on the device work fine!

Finally the last three attempts have met with success! Outgoing call connected, phone app stays functional - screen stays visible! On Touchstone or off TS. Still trying all methods of calling out. I am EXTREMELY perplexed! Haven't a CLUE what is causing this! and am more than a tad miffed that this is happening!

One of my attractions to Palm devices is their ability to be personalized. The thought of being restricted to JUST a device as is from the box - has absolutely NO appeal to me and if I cannot resolve this I may as well go back to my Trusty Centro!

SO now that it is working again do I wait 24 more hours before I start putting back my apps and patches?

Will answer my own query:
    WIll end up waiting until I find out if the phone app will stabilize. Did a restart and the phone app has gone non responsive again!
    grrr.
    Last edited by Forgewizard; 06/03/2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: 2nd edit, more info
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    SO now that it is working again do I wait 24 more hours before I start putting back my apps and patches?

Will answer my own query:
    WIll end up waiting until I find out if the phone app will stabilize. Did a restart and the phone app has gone non responsive again!
    grrr.
    Since you have removed so much stuff would you be opposed to using webos doctor? Getting to a practically out of the box condition may determine if this is a hardware issue. If it is a hardware issue an exchange (under warranty hopefully) is probably in order. I am pretty confident that this is indeed a hardware issue, considering all the steps to getting close to stock from uninstalls, perhaps screen or related hardware is on the verge or premature failure.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    At this point I'm not opposed to much at all. Kind of irritating to have a whizz bang device that does wverything EXCEPT make phone calls!

I'll be looking in to how to do a full wipe and reinstall when I get home after work tonight. Oh JOY! What a way to spend a Friday night!

Yes, I'm definitely within the warranty period - may even be within the thirty day "trial" - welll of course not - got the PRe on 4/29 - so am a few days OVER the thirty day mark! Figures! Wonder if the days when I first encountered the glitch count?

Thanks for the help!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  4. PrX
    After Pre shutdown I cannot charge battery. Bug?
    Best regards,
    PrX
    Quote Originally Posted by PrX View Post
    After Pre shutdown I cannot charge battery. Bug?
    Definitely not a bug, verify that you have a palm brand (the one that came in the box) charger and USB cable. I'm not sure if all USB cables are capable of the 1A current that the specs call for. 500mA may charge but much slower if it does. If the pre auto shutdown from low battery and was off for an extended period of time after, it may take some time on the charger before you see any signs of life or be able to power it on. If this is not the case and if you are using the palm charger and it isn't charging, verify if it will charge a known to charge pre. If it doesn't then it may be the charger has failed. I assume the wall outlet has been verified to have power. If the charger works to charge the known to charge pre then there may have been a hardware failure on the pre that isn't charging. You may want to take it to your carriers repair facility to have them verify for sure and get replacement of the pre or charger whichever it is that has failed.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
  6. PrX
    Thanks for your post, StoneRyno. Now I know what's wrong: I have this issue because I am using BlackBerry charger (I haven't got original Palm Charger because I've bought Palm Pre from an auction).
    Best regards,
    PrX
    Worked late last night and after 13 hours on a PC at work I had no desire to get back on one just to get the PRE MAYBE working! Did it instead this morning and the results are rather disappointing!

Took my Pre to the Doctor. Wiped it back to day one and signed in to Palm Profile waited for synchronization; tried an outgoing call and - BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH! So I'm off to the Sprint store to see what they can do to resolve this - no sense in trying any other methods to get the phone app to work. I'm not about to shuck out monthly payments for a cell phone that does evertyhing EXCEPT make calls! I am truly bummed out!

Thanks for your help StonyRyno - too bad the PRE isn't cooperating!
    Thanks for your post, StoneRyno. Now I know what's wrong: I have this issue because I am using BlackBerry charger (I haven't got original Palm Charger because I've bought Palm Pre from an auction).
    Check out the precentral store I'm pretty sure they have the palm branded charger if you can't get it from a local store.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    Worked late last night and after 13 hours on a PC at work I had no desire to get back on one just to get the PRE MAYBE working! Did it instead this morning and the results are rather disappointing!

Took my Pre to the Doctor. Wiped it back to day one and signed in to Palm Profile waited for synchronization; tried an outgoing call and - BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH! So I'm off to the Sprint store to see what they can do to resolve this - no sense in trying any other methods to get the phone app to work. I'm not about to shuck out monthly payments for a cell phone that does evertyhing EXCEPT make calls! I am truly bummed out!

Thanks for your help StonyRyno - too bad the PRE isn't cooperating!
    Well at least we know the cause and solution. Let us know how you customer experience goes in the exchange transaction. Hopefully they won't give you any problems.
  9. PrX
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Check out the precentral store I'm pretty sure they have the palm branded charger if you can't get it from a local store.
    Yeah, I know, but I can't select shipping for Poland... So I'm going to wait for official Palm Pre launch in Poland
    Best regards,
    PrX
  10.    #1070  
    Yeah, I know, but I can't select shipping for Poland... So I'm going to wait for official Palm Pre launch in Poland
    Lots of times I just charge mine from a USB port on my laptop. It is not as fast, but it will do in a pinch. All you need is a laptop and a usb cord with the proper connector. I actually use a Blackberry cord and it works fine. The Blackberry cord won't fit into the Touchstone, though.

Good luck!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  11. PrX
    I've checked it and it's true. When I've shut down Pre and I'm connecting it to computer (with Nokia USB-microUSB cable), Pre is activating and charging. Thanks for solution
    Last edited by PrX; 06/05/2010 at 05:16 PM.
    Best regards,
    PrX
    HI StonyRyno and all,

Went to SPrint's retail store yesterday and of course the rep told me that regardless that I was experiencing problems BEFORE the thirty day trial I would have had to return the device BEFORE the thirty days was up!

SO apparently checking support and trying to solve problems is NOT the way to do things with sprint - just return the device at the very first sign of a problem!

I SHOULD have taken it back the day after I bought it when I had run through the interative tests on board the PRE and the proximity sensor wasn't responding! But I made the "mistake" of reading that updates to the device come over the air and sometimes this fixes issues; so I waited and sure enough a few days later the proximity sensor started working.

That experience bolsters what was suggested by Palm's online support right?

Then when I experience ANOTHER issue I consult support and other well known areas of support such as PreCentral, Everything PRe and of course individual google and yahoo searches; tried what was suggested there, waited for over the air updates, did umpteen restarts, reboots, unloads, reloads all to no avail. I Only had Apps installed from Palm approved sources so the issues weren't stemming from unknown or buggy sources.

Regardless the rep was unsympathetic that I had exhausted all avenues of remedy and he ONLY focused upon the fact that thirty days had elapsed BEFORE I had brought the device back!

Considering their customer service is ONLY available during business hours and Palm's phone support is only available during business hours ( pacific time) that sort of limits availability to get help from those sources doesn't it? Especially when one works the hours I do M- F generally 12 to 13 hours a day!

The retail reps advice was to go to a different store and talk to the tech rep there. I did. That rep had HAD a PRE ( now uses an HTC HERO) - he immediately said there seemed to be an issue with the proximity sensor and disassembled the back of the PRE, took it into the back room, said he tightened some connections, reassembled it and it STILL went black when a call was made!

SO I filled out papers to get a new device. Which will be delivered to the tech store and I'll have to leave work early to get there in time to pick the thing up and have it set up.

I'm usually a fairly patient understanding person but I went through he** with 3 TREO 650's and 4 680's when on Cingular. The Palm Centro restored my faith in Palm (except I even had to replace the Centro once) so I sure hope this second Pre coming in will have been checked and rechecked!

I'm back to using the Centro again. It's amazing how quickly I'd acclimated to WEBOS! But I will admit It's nice to have many familiar processes back too!

If the PRE had WEBOS processing with Centro's functionality it would be THE device all others would envy!

Thanks again for the help!
    Forgewizard,

I assume near the end of your post by new device you mean the repair location is getting you a new pre? If not I understand at least one new webos device is going to be coming out soon, but I wouldn't give up on the pre if the form factor is what you want. Plus a new update is due soon as well. I'd list everything about the centro you want with webos and see if it is possible with webos out of the box or through 3rd party apps and patches. Anything that is missing put in official (to palm) and unofficial (on forums etc) requests to get functionality patched into or apps made for it.

Even though places like this forum make it seem like exchange rates are high it is a small minority compared to the massive number of pre owners. In the past I had made the same mistake of waiting beyond the 30 days due to instructions from official tech support. But it wasn't an issue when it came to warranty things. But I also have the TEP in case I ever have anything that is outside of 30 days and warranty coverage.

Some areas there is a trend with store reps, from stores that aren't repair/tech locations, that as you put it unsympathetic to say the least. If I was a manager and my employees weren't courteous, helpful, and didn't resolve positively customer service issues I'd discipline them up to fired if repeated too much. Unfortunately everyone is trying to cut expenses with reducing hours but again if I were a manager I would make special exceptions to accommodate to an extent special cases where some individuals need an appointment outside of business hours. Hopefully some stores staff are reading this so they can influence change for those locations lacking in quality sales and support staff and have a need for exceptions to be made to normal business hours.

I'm glad that at least the rep you dealt with at the one store pointed you to the right place a repair/tech location. Most of the time it is one of those locations you are going to want to visit when having device issues especially if it is something beyond phone and internet communication can resolve. I've also been there done that with other devices in the distant past and sympathize with the frustration of multiple replacements due to defects or just happening to get unlucky and get the rare bad apple out of every batch.
    HI StonyRyno,
    Yes, new device means a new(?) PRE - which will likely be a Refurb. I too pay the monthly fee for TEP. While I am extra protective of my devices I do utilize them and there is always that once in a lifetime happenstance that could hardly be imagined that might create an early demise.So the few bucks I shuck out each month are easier to swallow than a large up front fee for repair or no chance for replacement!

I went through absolute he** with cingular and the Treo 650s/680s so am venturing into this with some trepidations. I don't foresee me trying Pre after Pre after PRe like I did with the Treo 650s & 680s. I fully understand technological devices are put together by people and not every person is focused on being exact and doing a 100% good job but I kind of look at it like this: Sprint told ME I was eligible for an upgrade - they count me as a Premier customer, I have been a fairly happy customer for multiple years now and if this replacement Pre is faulty also then it's THEIR responsibility to treat me like a PRemier customer still eligible for a functional upgrade!

TIme will tell.
    My alarms go off twice. Once when they're supposed to, then when they're dismissed, about 2 seconds later they go off again about half the time. but just the alarm, not the calender events.
    Forgewizard

I've been a satisfied customer of sprints for over 12 years now. I do remember a period of time where there was the customer service problems but you had to know who you needed to talk to etc because the staff wasn't well trained back in the day. It has taken them a long time to recover from the bad publicity from it. When one person has a customer service issue now it tends to get blown out of proportion to the point of saying sprint doesn't care etc when it is just a local store issue or something that has to be dealt with disciplinary wise. The key in those cases is to be rational etc so that neither party gets upset and try and find out your options if that store or phone rep can't help you. There is always a store or person higher up the chain that can help resolve an issue. If the person you are dealing with lacks the knowledge or authority to resolve an issue it is best to politely as if you can speak with someone or a store location who does.

Quote Originally Posted by charicner View Post
    My alarms go off twice. Once when they're supposed to, then when they're dismissed, about 2 seconds later they go off again about half the time. but just the alarm, not the calender events.
    Have you tried deleting the alarm times you set and making new ones with the same time(s)? I did that and it appears to have solved it for me. Not sure why it began to happen as I had the same alarms set for months if not longer.
    Sprint speed for warranty swap is WOWesome! Turned in the faulty Pre on Saturday aftenoon, have the replacement in hand, working well right now! Keeping fingers crossed it will be the first and last swap for me!

Cheers!
    when i enter 2 numbers, XXX1YYYYYYYY and XXXYYYYYYYY for the same contact, only the one with the additional "1" is shown in in overview, it doesnt recognize them as different numbers.

in "edit view" both are shown.
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    when i enter 2 numbers, XXX1YYYYYYYY and XXXYYYYYYYY for the same contact, only the one with the additional "1" is shown in in overview, it doesnt recognize them as different numbers.

in "edit view" both are shown.
    Can you provide more detail to replicate this? I tried to replicate it using the following:

Name: Test Contact
    phone: 55511212 (note the added 1 between 555 and 1212)
    phone: 5551212

After saving the contact it shows both numbers if viewing contact's details in the contacts app and also if you search for the contact in universal search.
    my solution was adding a "t" in the end, then both numbers show up

ok, just replicated... pictures will follow

this is the test contact i created.

in edit-view, everything looks okay

but neither in "just view"

nor when searching for it

nor when trying to send a sms

maybe its the "+" in the beginning
    Last edited by squ33d; 08/05/2010 at 04:39 PM.