Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I am having a problem when i try to download new apps, it comes up with an error telling me I have to delete some installed apps to make room. According to my Device INfo screen I still have 7g in available memory but it keeps coming up with this error.
    After 3 months and only one software update it seems that Palm and Sprint are not willing or able to address at least the most basic of problems with this phone. I liked the parts that were working but the issues for me that were crucial overtook the good and I have gone back to my Lotus phone and am weighing my options on what to do.

Apple still has the edge no matter the bells and whistles on this phone. If it does not work, the cool things it is supposed to do do not matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robtrot View Post
    I am having a problem when i try to download new apps, it comes up with an error telling me I have to delete some installed apps to make room. According to my Device INfo screen I still have 7g in available memory but it keeps coming up with this error.
    Search the PreCentral forum. This has been discussed ad nauseam and should provide you with plenty of answers.

Quote Originally Posted by explorergal View Post
    After 3 months and only one software update it seems that Palm and Sprint are not willing or able to address at least the most basic of problems with this phone. I liked the parts that were working but the issues for me that were crucial overtook the good and I have gone back to my Lotus phone and am weighing my options on what to do.

Apple still has the edge no matter the bells and whistles on this phone. If it does not work, the cool things it is supposed to do do not matter.
    For the sake of accuracy, there have been 4 software updates in 3 1/2 months since the June 6th release date. A little over an update per month is pretty good in my book for a cell phone. Once 1.2 is released (even if it doesn't happen until October 6th would mean 5 software updates in 4 months.

You're right, Apple has the edge because Apple has the head start. Therefore there's a matured app catalog and refined hardware. No start-up phone can compete with that apples for apples.

But, the Pre is a nice phone. The impending updates should make it even nicer. This time next year, there's a good chance that Palm will be making headway toward climbing to the top. 3 1/2 months in to a brand new OS and phone, I feel like this is a premature denouncing.
    another bug to add: in vibrate mode, for missed calls or during calls after a few rings, the phone continues to vibrate for at least 15 min. I also noticed in ringer mode that the phone will continue to ring repeatedly. I have had to exchange the phone 3 times already and in looking at a few forums, no one appears to have the same problem Palm support forums told me that webOS on my phone is corrupted and recommended that I try a full or partial erase which I did for my second exchanged phone. does anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Robtrot View Post
    For the record this isn't a bug. The explanation to this is in probably a dozen threads with at least several dozen more posted and continued to be posted on the same topic.

Do you realize how long it takes to find the cause of a reported bug, fix it, test the fix, and then deploy the new code to be added by an update? It takes just as long or even longer to add more features and then each bug and feature has to be prioritized on a regular basis which adds even more time. They have added and fixed a lot of stuff given the relatively little time since release. Hardly any companies push out so much so quickly in fact I've never owned a hardware or software package that seen so much added in fixed in the lifetime of the product let alone 3 months. Sounds like you bought the pre on the idea it would someday meet your expectation. Me I bought it because it did precisely everything I wanted it to do and better than blackberry did for me. I looked at other smartphones too but none of them really seemed to fit me like the pre does.

Quote Originally Posted by lawatchtower View Post
    another bug to add: in vibrate mode, for missed calls or during calls after a few rings, the phone continues to vibrate for at least 15 min. I also noticed in ringer mode that the phone will continue to ring repeatedly. I have had to exchange the phone 3 times already and in looking at a few forums, no one appears to have the same problem Palm support forums told me that webOS on my phone is corrupted and recommended that I try a full or partial erase which I did for my second exchanged phone. does anyone else have this problem?
    If you posted about this in another thread on the forum then I think you may be the only one since I only read about this one other time prior to posting this reply and it was a post on this forum. I can't even begin to imagine why this is happening for you. There must be something unique in your case that is the cause otherwise I would expect to see more posts. Have you done anything to narrow down the cause. Does it happen if you use webos doctor to restore to factory state?
    Maybe one of the problems is I don't seem to have gotten 4 upgrades to my software. Perhaps if I get them some of my problems will be fixed. It's not a matter of denouncing the phone but the issues I am having are crucial for me. I guess I thought that when you bought something it worked out of the box. Maybe I am naive in the ways of the tech world.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2dxtream View Post
    right but sometimes just like today when the phone rang its said drag to answer (basically no option to "unlock" first. and lets say i wanted to ignore that call ..i i of course do not have that option because once you drag its already answered so you basically have to hang up. and then on other occasions when the phone rings i just get both buttons the answer button and the ignore call button.. still trying to figure out when i and why that is
    don't get me wrong its NOT a huge deal but to me for the average joe this could be annoying/ confusing ..
    If you want to ignore the call (and let it continue ringing from the caller's perspective), hit the volume button on the side. If you want to ignore the call (and send it to voicemail), I think that you press the power button. Don't quote me on that last one, though. The first I know works because I do it all the time.
    Maybe one of the problems is I don't seem to have gotten 4 upgrades to my software. Perhaps if I get them some of my problems will be fixed. It's not a matter of denouncing the phone but the issues I am having are crucial for me. I guess I thought that when you bought something it worked out of the box. Maybe I am naive in the ways of the tech world.
    Back in the day this saying had an element of truth things just worked they way they were supposed to. But there is a law at work and was predicted way back in the day when computers began and that was that the more complex it becomes the more problems it will have. This is evident today with mobile devices being cabable of the levels of processing that could only be done on a home pc not so long ago and is more than even the best super computer was capable of back in the day. Just think between the linux platform and webOS there could be like 1 million lines of code to allow the pre to do what it does. More realistically maybe in the 100s of 1,000s but still in a relatively small program say 100s of lines a program that would compile (using a project I worked on for an example) it was discovered post build and in testing to have something like a few dozen bugs. Now blow that up to 100s of 1,000s of lines of code it is possible to have as many as 1,000s of bugs show up post compile. Now consider that you go through alpha and beta test phases before release to the general public to iron out as many as possible, it is impossible to make a public release that is bug free. Even if no more bugs existed at the beta test level undiscovered bugs will show up in the added complexity of each individuals unique usage or pattern usage that was not covered in the limited beta release. This is why often times developers will use a full public beta to test their apps so they can offer the product to the public while fixing the bugs better than a close beta does.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not implying that palm is using us as open beta testers but it is absurd to expect that something so complex including the added complexity of the ways people will use it will have no issues. What is great though is it could have had a lot more problems that it did. So the 6 months we knew about the existence they must have ironed out a lot of problems in their beta testing. It is no wonder that a number of features that are somewhat common place in today's mobiles wasn't added prior to release they probably would have had to put the device out with more bugs to include them. But then I don't know of any smartphone that came out for the very 1st generation with all the bells and whistle and be relatively bug free at the same time. Heck if we compare to microsoft's windows releases they have a track record of releasing each new version practically unusable for the 1st year. Until vista SP1 I could only use my new pc to browse the web any power user stuff like top of the line games had to wait cause attempts to use vista as a power user would BSOD it in minutes.
    Is it possible to rename a thread?

Shouldn't this one be called "Buglist for Pre (version 1.1 and lower)"?
    I live in Newfoundland which is currently GMT-2.5

Email messages from my work IMAP account are displayed as GMT-2 instead of GMT-2.5. For example, a message that was sent/received at 10:45 AM is being displayed as 10:15 AM.

Messages sent from the Pre have the correct date info in the header and look fine on the server. The issue seems to be the way the Pre is localizing the time when displaying messages from the IMAP server.

I haven't tried any other type of email account to see if the issue exists there.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    Is it possible to rename a thread?

Shouldn't this one be called "Buglist for Pre (version 1.1 and lower)"?
    Yes it is possible for an admin to change the title but then since the OP still hasn't bothered to edit the list for updates and corrections to remove things that no longer or never were bugs in the 1st place it is my honest opinion that this thread be deleted and someone willing to maintain an accurate list take over in a new thread and carry over the accurate portion of info from this thread to the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by lbouzane View Post
    I live in Newfoundland which is currently GMT-2.5

Email messages from my work IMAP account are displayed as GMT-2 instead of GMT-2.5. For example, a message that was sent/received at 10:45 AM is being displayed as 10:15 AM.

Messages sent from the Pre have the correct date info in the header and look fine on the server. The issue seems to be the way the Pre is localizing the time when displaying messages from the IMAP server.

I haven't tried any other type of email account to see if the issue exists there.
    Are there any half time zones in the pre? I'm not familiar with all the time zones. But it is my guess the pre lists only official/standard time zones. I am of the understanding half time zones are nonstandard. I'm guessing the pre doesn't include nonstandard time zones.
    I don't know if this is a bug list or complaint list for me.

My gmail pushes but I would like to have a sound notification during the day and quiet at night without having to go through the settings every morning and every night. I need to answer the phone if it rings at 2am but not an email I receive at 2am so turning the ringer off wont work.

Moving the cursor around on the memos page is kind of difficult (tapping that is)

Also, I'd like to drag my memo to a trash can rather than having to verify twice that I want to delete a "post-it" note. Heck, I have swiped away some important emails by mistake but I can't just through a memo away?

I can't add descriptions to the phone numbers. Work, Home Fax Mobile, Other are all nice but I have people who have 4 or 5 office numbers. So if I had the ability to mark a number "Office - Call here first" or "work - fridays only" I'd be much happier. Also on this I'd like to sometimes add a note but there are no spaces allowed.

Phone contact company name only capitalizes the first name and not the rest. And you can't seacrh the second name of the company. I have different hospitals to go to and I want to see them all I should be able to type in hospital or pharmacy and see whats around. In my contacts I have XYZ Hospital and QQQ Hospital but I can't type "hospital" to bring them all up so I am stuck entering "hospital xyz" instead which is a problem when I know I want XYZ.

wmv inop. big time bummer. I don't know what the deal is with this but when I am just trying to get through junck mail and watch a few wmv files sent to me and end up having to wait until I hit the office it's a bit upsetting.

Ringer volume vs message volume etc. All the volumes should be separate. It is important that I receive my calls and have the ringer maxed for this but then my incoming messages are to loud too.

Music volume steps are too large. I always end up with some song where it's either a bit to lound or a bit to quiet. I must be getting old.

Moving around in text and highlighting is nice but still a bit difficult and should be improved.

Forwarding an email I can't edit the forwarded text. Only the text I am entering. Another bummer deal. This keeps me from getting through some of the emails I could get through because now I need a computer before I can edit the note to be forwarded.

I'd like the dialpad to be able to do the universal look-up. You know, like the old fashion texting using the keypad. Or have the OSK be able to do it. I'm just not real happy with the OSK right now. I haven't seen the most recent update but what I really wanted to talk about were the issues I have with palm. I appreciate everything the forum members have been doing. It's truly incredible.

Streaming radio. I'd like this as well. I know that there are a few apps in the homebrew but I'm really looking for some specific talk radio programs that I can't get on the homebrew apps.

No good hang way to hang up. I wish the button or on off would disconnect with a caller. One day I got stuck on the phone with voice mail for about 5 minutes when I had to turn off the dial pad and then couldn't get it back. My mother-in-law notoriously fails to hang up so if we don't on our side we could end up on the phone with her for an hour and not know it.

Now, I may doing something wrong and I know that these are some minor issues overall but they are things that make life a little easier and isn't why we spent $200 on the phone in the first place? If I didn't care about things being smoother and easier I'd still be carrying a bag-phone around.

Thanks everyone for this forum. What a great place.

That's all I can think of right now. I do prefer the pixi form factor but I will take a larger screen over the abscence of the slide.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcautodoc View Post
    My gmail pushes but I would like to have a sound notification during the day and quiet at night without having to go through the settings every morning and every night. I need to answer the phone if it rings at 2am but not an email I receive at 2am so turning the ringer off wont work.
    I think there is a beta app for this. Or soon to be beta app.

Moving the cursor around on the memos page is kind of difficult (tapping that is)
    Hold the orange button and drag finger anywhere on the screen in the direction you want to move the cursor.

Also, I'd like to drag my memo to a trash can rather than having to verify twice that I want to delete a "post-it" note. Heck, I have swiped away some important emails by mistake but I can't just through a memo away?
    A good feature request have you sent it along to palm through their feedback/suggestions page?

I can't add descriptions to the phone numbers. Work, Home Fax Mobile, Other are all nice but I have people who have 4 or 5 office numbers. So if I had the ability to mark a number "Office - Call here first" or "work - fridays only" I'd be much happier. Also on this I'd like to sometimes add a note but there are no spaces allowed.
    Any chance the contacts note field will serve as an alternative holding for that info?

Phone contact company name only capitalizes the first name and not the rest. And you can't seacrh the second name of the company. I have different hospitals to go to and I want to see them all I should be able to type in hospital or pharmacy and see whats around. In my contacts I have XYZ Hospital and QQQ Hospital but I can't type "hospital" to bring them all up so I am stuck entering "hospital xyz" instead which is a problem when I know I want XYZ.
    I've seen a more general request of this for universal search where it looks for the string within any part of the names etc so that the results are more broad and narrow as you type more characters. I like the idea of more flexible search using string.

wmv inop. big time bummer. I don't know what the deal is with this but when I am just trying to get through junck mail and watch a few wmv files sent to me and end up having to wait until I hit the office it's a bit upsetting.
    I'm sure a 3rd party video player will come eventually I'm guessing like with the audio player there may be API stuff to release still to make it happen. There may have been licensing issues with proprietary formats. Microsoft has a tendency to make a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to 3rd parties.

Ringer volume vs message volume etc. All the volumes should be separate. It is important that I receive my calls and have the ringer maxed for this but then my incoming messages are to loud too.
    I'd like this too, I'm guessing if someone wanted to they could write in this functionality assuming like with brightness there is a method for it in the OS. I've passed along the suggestion of making notifications along the lines of how it works with blackberry profiles with each different notification for choosing a sound, volume, and vibrate options etc.
    Music volume steps are too large. I always end up with some song where it's either a bit to lound or a bit to quiet. I must be getting old.

I'd like the dialpad to be able to do the universal look-up. You know, like the old fashion texting using the keypad. Or have the OSK be able to do it. I'm just not real happy with the OSK right now. I haven't seen the most recent update but what I really wanted to talk about were the issues I have with palm. I appreciate everything the forum members have been doing. It's truly incredible.
    I'm not following this paragraph. Can you clarify?

No good hang way to hang up. I wish the button or on off would disconnect with a caller. One day I got stuck on the phone with voice mail for about 5 minutes when I had to turn off the dial pad and then couldn't get it back. My mother-in-law notoriously fails to hang up so if we don't on our side we could end up on the phone with her for an hour and not know it.
    I don't understand this one. Hang up pressing the red end call button in the phone app, swipe the phone app to close it, or press the end call button on the headset. All seem quite simple and quick to do. Also if the other party hangs up the call will end too.
    Last edited by StoneRyno; 09/30/2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added missing end quote tag
  14.    #894  
    Folk, I'm really sorry, but I haven't had the time to keep up the maintenance on this thread lately. It won't hurt my feelings if someone else wants to copy/paste the bug list and keep it up. Or just start over. Or you can leave this one up, if it is still useful. I just wanted to express my regrets.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    hell ya!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercko View Post
    If you want to ignore the call (and let it continue ringing from the caller's perspective), hit the volume button on the side. If you want to ignore the call (and send it to voicemail), I think that you press the power button. Don't quote me on that last one, though. The first I know works because I do it all the time.
    Hit the volume button twice to completely ignore and send to voicemail.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but sometimes when I start typing a text the first letter is capitalized and sometimes it's not. I want it to be, and it should be, but sometimes it doesn't for no reason that I can see. I just delete it and start over, but with no 5-way butto and no stylus, if you don't catch it right away you have to try to tap right before the letter which never works. I love this phone and this is hardly a deal-breaker but it would be nice if itjust worked every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered before, but sometimes when I start typing a text the first letter is capitalized and sometimes it's not. I want it to be, and it should be, but sometimes it doesn't for no reason that I can see. I just delete it and start over, but with no 5-way butto and no stylus, if you don't catch it right away you have to try to tap right before the letter which never works. I love this phone and this is hardly a deal-breaker but it would be nice if itjust worked every time.
    Not sure why it wouldn't capitalize. But, as far as the cursor is concerned, you can hold down the orange button and drag the cursor to where you want it to be.

FYI.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I am having issues with my pre. If im having a conversation with someone the conversation itself still exists; but the entire conversation is not listed when I want to look at the list of all the conversations. This sounds confusing but I do not know how else to word my issue.

Please if anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Folk, I'm really sorry, but I haven't had the time to keep up the maintenance on this thread lately. It won't hurt my feelings if someone else wants to copy/paste the bug list and keep it up. Or just start over. Or you can leave this one up, if it is still useful. I just wanted to express my regrets.
    I unfortunately don't have the time to maintain a list that would require so much attention as this list needs. I thought you had abandoned the list or forum or something like that. So you plan on working on the list or do you want to pass the torch to someone who has time to properly maintain it? If so lets get someone who will and then arrange the updated info for the new thread and then clear the first post of this thread and have it point to the new thread letting people know it is the updated list and will be maintained by the other person. The mods can be contacted to sticky the new thread and unsticky the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by storms86 View Post
    I am having issues with my pre. If im having a conversation with someone the conversation itself still exists; but the entire conversation is not listed when I want to look at the list of all the conversations. This sounds confusing but I do not know how else to word my issue.

Please if anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated.
    There are many threads on this and contain details on how to correct this. Somehow certain conditions occur through certain usage patterns that causes a glitch in the data the details for fixing it corrects the glitch.