1. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    i visited my sprint store on tuesday after work. verified that i could upgrade my treo to a pre. asked if i could pre-order and was told no, just come back on saturday. so i did.

i got to the store at 7:05AM in fairfield, CT (808 post road). i was #2 on line. the other guys on line told me that sprint had started to keep a list earlier in the week (the day after i visited). the list was 60 names long. and the phones sent to the store today had been allocated off the list. the store had only 20 phones for today. no one who showed up who at the store who wasn't on the list could get a phone. they could only order and come back later in the week.

when i got into the store, i found that this story was TRUE. i am a 'premier' customer with three phones (two treo's on the plan), 3,000 minutes a month, >$200/month. they WOULD NOT SELL ME ONE OF THE 20 PHONES IN THE STORE. i was number TWO in the line when the doors opened.

i asked for the manager. he blew me off, even when i told him my three-phone, 3,000 minutes a month, three phone Sprint contract was history. he even wrote his name on a store business card for me (Craig Farren).

clearly he felt no guilt. that means he was just following orders. that means this unannounced 'list', started at the last minute, was a Sprint Sales policy, not some local aberration.

i will not buy a Pre from sprint. i will not contnue using Sprint (10 year customer).
    the CEO is an *** clown. the head of sales is an *** clown. the company
    deserves to go out of business. the company NEEDS to go out of business.

do i sound bitter?

/mark
    That sucks man... Corp store?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    You could probably get one in less than a week.

We europeans may still have months to wait.

Go figure. Stop being such a <insert your favorite word here>.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    call/ email complain and demand apologies in the form of a discount. Matter of fact you should have gotten on the horn with Sprint right then and there.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I was first in line at my store here in NYC. I arrived at 6am and the doors opened at 8. By 8:15 I was walking out with my phone and there were about 40 in line.
    the sprint store I visited in Austin said corp told them not to have a list, although they already have a 17 person list that they will honor for 4 hrs.

I would just goto a different store, sprint, BB prprpr $radioshack$.

I heart you, man, that sucks, you were waiting there for that long and the store fcks people over.

I am definitely with you, I can't imagine myself being any less bitter if this were to happen to me.

I would send email to whichever Dan Hassal's fake email address is, and make a blog post complaining it, that usually helps releasing my anger.
    Just so you know it is NOT a corporate store. Corporate stores were instructed to NOT keep a list until after this morning when inventory was gone.

I'm sorry, I work for Sprint and am furious about the situation. I would call around to other stores and see what their inventory is like. And then try and find yourself a real corporate store. They have much more inventory than third party stores.
    Last edited by ipreedinmypants; 06/06/2009 at 08:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Must have been a third-party reseller. Not a corporate store. That sucks man. I'd be pissed too, but it's not Sprint Policy.

I have a friend who is a manager at a Corporate store in San Diego. They received a memo that they were NOT to keep a list. Threatened with pink slips if it was found out that they did. Sounds like you have a really bad experience with a non-corp store.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by mtk View Post
    i will not buy a Pre from sprint. i will not contnue using Sprint (10 year customer).

do i sound bitter?

/mark
    You do sound understandably bitter, but ask yourself how much you want a Pre. Have a strong coffee and scout around for another source. From the sounds of it you should be able to find one. You might regret it if you don't. You can aways stick it up Sprint later on at your leasure.
  10. mtk
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    call to cancel and they tracked down and reserved a phone for me while i waited.
    i visited my sprint store on tuesday after work. verified that i could upgrade my treo to a pre. asked if i could pre-order and was told no, just come back on saturday. so i did.

i got to the store at 7:05AM in fairfield, CT (808 post road). i was #2 on line. the other guys on line told me that sprint had started to keep a list earlier in the week (the day after i visited). the list was 60 names long. and the phones sent to the store today had been allocated off the list. the store had only 20 phones for today. no one who showed up who at the store who wasn't on the list could get a phone. they could only order and come back later in the week.

when i got into the store, i found that this story was TRUE. i am a 'premier' customer with three phones (two treo's on the plan), 3,000 minutes a month, >$200/month. they WOULD NOT SELL ME ONE OF THE 20 PHONES IN THE STORE. i was number TWO in the line when the doors opened.

i asked for the manager. he blew me off, even when i told him my three-phone, 3,000 minutes a month, three phone Sprint contract was history. he even wrote his name on a store business card for me (Craig Farren).

clearly he felt no guilt. that means he was just following orders. that means this unannounced 'list', started at the last minute, was a Sprint Sales policy, not some local aberration.

do i sound bitter?

/mark
    I was told the same exact story when I visited my CORP sprint store on Friday. If you are not on the list being kept by Sprint corporate and being sent to the store on Saturday AM, you could not buy a pre on Saturday morning. So instead of being left with no pre, camped out at bestbuy this morning and picked up 1 of the 4 pre's they had. No rebate and no purchase hassles. I was out in 15 minutes. I don't know why sprint would do this to themselves. And yes, I confirmed my local sprint store is a "Corporate" store.

Lewis
    call to cancel and they tracked down and reserved a phone for me while i waited.
    Congratulations!
    it's funny how people blow up and blame a company, which turns out not to be the case.
    It sounds as if you blamed the company for the unreported actions of one manager, before even giving them a chance to make it right. I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    At my Sprint store they handed out slips of paper matching the number of phones they had on hand. No list was made before hand. When they had no more phones on hand to sell today they started a list. I returned to Sprint later because my mini-usb was damaged... they gave me a replacement (not for the Pre, but for a Palm device and it works fine)... I asked about the list - they said they have 6 pages worth (about 70 people I guess)... they said, when we get new phones in we will call people from top down matching the number of phones that came in. They have 1 day to come in. If not, it's here in the store for first come first serve.

That would mean, even if you are on a list and haven't gotten a call - go by the store each day - if someone hasn't picked there up and its still hanging around you should be able to have it (IF, your Sprint store works like this one did).

Finally, my sales guy was very knowledgeable about the Pre, was very professional and efficient and made me think Sprint is trying to improve their poor service reputation. So far, so good for me.
    My sprint store did the same as jtiis but I received a defective phone(the camera doesn't work at all) and they had a good list of like 40 people waiting after the initial sellout of people who showed up(found this out after I went back because I realized the camera didn't work). They promoted me to the top of the waiting list to replace my phone when the next batch comes in. Until then I'm playing on my Pre with no camera =)