1.    #1  
    I love this pretty pre, and I waited for years since my treo650.
    China is a great market for palm with largest population, lost of my friends are using palm and showed high loyalty to Palm, but can Palm consider to parner with China carrier to launch it here? the rumor about the cooperation between Iphone and Chinamobile is the biggest ad. for iphone.

so Palm, come on, come to China and parner with Chinatelecom or Chinaunion to beat iphone. Palm, we stay up late these days to check every news about pre, even we cannot have it soon, or even we don't have the right to line in. we envy people who have the right to line in for it... if you launch it in China, i'm sure i will ask leave to do this thing, the same to the people who camps outside the shop...

so what is your plan, Palm, to come close to us.

A Palmer from China
    So far no one mention about the language ability. Hope that it can handle multiple languages like iPhone.
  3.    #3  
    seems it can display chinese correctly... but for input, no idea. i am not quite concern on it, there must be someone are working on it.

my biggest concern is w/o launch date of GSM version, can it be cracked so as to run on the other carriers with the same EvDO network?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    @ ryrongyu - I am gonna confidently say it's coming, the Pre is going to be a global device and many (if any) language issues would surely be addressed by then.

China is a great opportunity for Palm, they'd be crazy not to follow it through. They've been there before so its not entirely foreign.

It's just going to take some time (unfortunately), just like Europe and Australia.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    What I heard is it will be available in Asia in September 2009.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryrongyu View Post
    seems it can display chinese correctly... but for input, no idea. i am not quite concern on it, there must be someone are working on it.

my biggest concern is w/o launch date of GSM version, can it be cracked so as to run on the other carriers with the same EvDO network?
    Who knows, the GSM may be around the corner, they might be being tight lipped because of the Sprint situation. Verizon etc. subbies would be less inclined to switch to Sprint if they knew they could get the GSM one by a certain date, could be close, probably not, but would be VERY cool if it were.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    If the GSM version will indeed be available in September, then that is GREAT news for me! I have 2 other friends desperately waiting for the Pre or Eos, whichever one comes first.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    What I heard is it will be available in Asia in September 2009.
    I heard August from precentral for Aus, care to post your source?
    Went to a small PDA store in Hong Kong on Thursday. The boss (he is Palm fanboy) told me he was advised by the distributor the GSM Pre will be available around September 2009.
    Unfortunately with the regulations in China, the phone will be severely neutered. Wi-Fi will have to be removed.

Anyone with connections to Palm Singapore? They apparently do most of the distributing in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    So far no one mention about the language ability. Hope that it can handle multiple languages like iPhone.
    Someone tried, Simplified Chinese is displayed correctly in the Browser, not sure about traditional, Japanese and Korean. But they also said Contacts and other apps don't. I hope they will fix everything before having an Asian launch.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11.    #11  
    Sep. is tooooooo late! another 100days left! i cannot help myself when seeing all of you start to enjoy it, w/t GSM support, i am considering to migrate to Chinatelecom which seems to support EvDO, the issue is can the phone be cracked just as iphone...

hope HK guys can make it happen. it is definitely a good deal before GSM launch,
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Unfortunately with the regulations in China, the phone will be severely neutered. Wi-Fi will have to be removed.

Anyone with connections to Palm Singapore? They apparently do most of the distributing in Asia.

Someone tried, Simplified Chinese is displayed correctly in the Browser, not sure about traditional, Japanese and Korean. But they also said Contacts and other apps don't. I hope they will fix everything before having an Asian launch.
    Why would Wifi have to be removed is there are very limited Wifi hotspots to begin with? The Singapore office is in charge of all Asia. I'm keen to know whether someone has developed an input method for Chinese as it seems like Japanese and Korean a relatively easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excoriar View Post
    Why would Wifi have to be removed is there are very limited Wifi hotspots to begin with? The Singapore office is in charge of all Asia. I'm keen to know whether someone has developed an input method for Chinese as it seems like Japanese and Korean a relatively easier.
    Chinese regulation, because most Wi-Fi will not support their encryption standard WAPI. A year so ago they even banned UMTS and HSDPA to pushed for their own TD-SCDMA standard, but they opened that up. China Unicom will launch an HSDPA network, Wo.

I just hope the Hong Kong launch version will have proper Chinese support and not as a third-party add-on like the Centro is. But with Linux's UTF-8 support and the already existent development, it shouldn't be that hard.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here