Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just read something in an engadget comment that you cannot use voice and data at the same time on Sprint's network. Is this accurate? Does this mean if you are on a call and want to look something up on the web or in your email that you have to end the call? That simply doesn't make sense.

Can someone with a Pre in hand run a trial. Call a buddy, put him on speaker phone, then attempt to Google something or check your email.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Most likely not...it's an issue with Sprint and the way they handle their CDMA network. Do a search and there is a more detailed explanation of the tech behind it.
    You can only if you have simultaneous access to Wifi.
    Yes, that's true, it's impossible, unless you want to use Wifi. EVDO is not capable of voice and data at the same time.

Technically, with EVDO, it is sort of possible for Sprint to enable Voice Over IP for your phone calls, which would require a huge network overhaul which I don't see coming anytime soon, but even then, it'd really just be data and data (your voice would be transmitted as data.)
    You can look at other stuff while your on a call with no problem. You just cant look at the web. But if you wanted to talk to somebody you could still search through the menus and look at text messages and whatnot
  6.    #6  
    Wow, this is kind of surprising (and weak). I know it's not a huge deal and the Wifi workaround is a plus, but that just seems incredibly lame.

Thanks for the speedy responses, gang. Now get some sleep!
    winmo could use skype and internet at the same time, but no voice/data. however texts would still work on 1xrtt<sp> while on a call
    that's because calls are still routed using 1x. Notice when you call someone on sprint, it reverts to 1x mode. EVDO is strictly for data. Windows Mobile could use skype and the internet at the same time because it uses data to connect to skype and surfing the web is the same (data as well).

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie8307 View Post
    Wow, this is kind of surprising (and weak). I know it's not a huge deal and the Wifi workaround is a plus, but that just seems incredibly lame.

Thanks for the speedy responses, gang. Now get some sleep!
    You can only browse while on a call if you have an active Wifi connection. It's a CDMA limitation and won't be true on the GSM versions using 3G. It's the same as the original iPhone though. You could only browse while on a call if you were connected to WiFi, on the EDGE network you couldn't connect though.
  10. enjoyingsilence
    it's interesting how some people (not stating those in this specific thread) find that CDMA/EVDO's inability do this is SOOO terrible. Umm. Sorry. It's not GSM. CDMA is the "other" cell technology. It's certainly not the red headed step child. That would be iDen
    It's a definite drawback for some people, even if you don't think so.
    GSM als has its drawbacks as well. Such as in the case of my cousins Iphone that got stolen. they popped another sim in viola... they got a free phone.

But good news is it is possible with wifi, and maybe possible later with VOIP. given how easy this phone is supposed to be to program for, i am hoping there will be solutions soon. But this is still not a drawback for me. Way i see it is drawbacks = workarounds or solutions, which help make a market/ community which leads to a well supported piece of hardware.

Now.. where is the info on the SDKs?
  13. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    It's a definite drawback for some people, even if you don't think so.
    I think it's a draw back, certainly. However, it's a well known drawback. My point was: many apple bashers like to throw in a quip here and there which equates to "haha gsm 3g can do it. your 3g cdma can't. nener nener nener."

While forgetting the 1st gen iPhone couldn't either.
  14. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    GSM als has its drawbacks as well. Such as in the case of my cousins Iphone that got stolen. they popped another sim in viola... they got a free phone.
    That's actually an American thing. To my knowledge, the US GSM carriers don't keep IMEI lists, for stolen/lost phones. In Europe/UK, they do. And will not activate them. (edit: the US carriers do keep them, for merchandise stolen from their own inventory)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    But good news is it is possible with wifi, and maybe possible later with VOIP. given how easy this phone is supposed to be to program for, i am hoping there will be solutions soon. But this is still not a drawback for me. Way i see it is drawbacks = workarounds or solutions, which help make a market/ community which leads to a well supported piece of hardware.

Now.. where is the info on the SDKs?
    The WebOS is just javascript, css, and HTML 5. Not sure how "easy" it would be to program a VOIP app, however google voice should be easy as pie to develop for - since google makes their API's public. Skype on the other hand, is the world's second "walled garden". (the first being Verizon Wireless).
    Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 06/06/2009 at 02:26 AM.
    Well, I guess I was mistaken. I thought this was a feature of EVDO rev-a, if not, what is the rev-a all about?
  16. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post
    Well, I guess I was mistaken. I thought this was a feature of EVDO rev-a, if not, what is the rev-a all about?
    Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These changes included the introduction of several new forward link data rates that increase the maximum burst rate from 2.45 Mbit/s to 3.1 Mbit/s. Also included were protocols that would decrease connection establishment time (called enhanced access channel MAC), the ability for more than one mobile to share the same timeslot (multi-user packets) and the introduction of QoS flags. All of these were put in place to allow for low latency, low bit rate communications such as VoIP.[7]
    Thanks enjoyingsilence, I guess it makes sense that EVDO rev-a would have nothing to do with a call, considering the EVDO part is just data. I will go back and read the wiki bit again, once I sleep a little and my comprehension skills are sharpened.
  18. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post
    Thanks enjoyingsilence, I guess it makes sense that EVDO rev-a would have nothing to do with a call, considering the EVDO part is just data. I will go back and read the wiki bit again, once I sleep a little and my comprehension skills are sharpened.
    Anytime Generally on CDMA networks with ev-do , when you make a call, the network switches the call over 1xRTT (the old data network), since ev-do is used strictly for data purposes. Whereas with GSM, in a 3G enabled area (that isn't N-SET enabled, usually) calls go over the 3G side, to facilitate better call quality AND assist with voice + data.
    The cool part about ev-do rev. a in relation to what ATT uses is that the latency is so low. It's not too bad on my iPhone, but I've seen sprint phones, and they just start loading right when you press the button.
  20. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    The cool part about ev-do rev. a in relation to what ATT uses is that the latency is so low. It's not too bad on my iPhone, but I've seen sprint phones, and they just start loading right when you press the button.
    It's the way EV-DO, and Quallcomm installed QoS (quality of service) to route packets and data efficiently. You'd think , with AT&T owning/operating a Tier1 backbone, they'd be able to do this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast