Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You'd think. I do know that ATT is in the beginning stages of a new multi-billion dollar initiative to upgrade the firmware at their towers to enable 7.2 mbps download speeds while also constructing a TON of new towers all across the U.S. to decrease the load that each tower has to carry. Should be a pretty incredible network in 6 months or so...
  2. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    You'd think. I do know that ATT is in the beginning stages of a new multi-billion dollar initiative to upgrade the firmware at their towers to enable 7.2 mbps download speeds while also constructing a TON of new towers all across the U.S. to decrease the load that each tower has to carry. Should be a pretty incredible network in 6 months or so...
    the iPhone effect (as I call it ) will still be there. You can update firmware on a cell site itself to support 7.2 HSPA, however, if the back-end bandwidth isn't there to carry it across, things still wait in a queue. Of course, rules still apply to this. The "faster" the service from a wireless site to a wireless handset, the more people will try to use it. If the wired bandwidth isn't there (e.g. a T1 line), the more requests will back up, and it will still take 20%-30% longer to deliver information to the wireless handset, than it did before the upgrade.

It's bad enough as it is. The cell sites do not have enough bandwidth. Your connection is only as fast as it's slowest uplink.

As for adding cell sites: you can distribute the network load across cell sites by adding more. But if at&t is adding more cell sites in areas that don't have 3g to begin with, it's not helping. And they're putting more new cell sites in areas that don't have 3g anyway, enabling HSPA 7.2 isn't going to help what they already have.

edit: to further clarify my above paragraph. It's like working in a data center. If you have a t3 coming into the building, and the internet is already slow. You can't add a bunch of switches (managed or unmanaged) to redistribute the network load, in hopes that external network requests (i.e. those that require access to the internet) will be faster. The t3 will still be bogged down, no matter how much you spread the network out. Instead - you add another T3, or a T1 (if you only need another 1.5mb of bandwidth)
    Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 06/06/2009 at 02:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    the iPhone effect (as I call it ) will still be there. You can update firmware on a cell site itself to support 7.2 HSPA, however, if the back-end bandwidth isn't there to carry it across, things still wait in a queue.
    Latency aside, I see consistent downloads of 1.2 mbps on speed test sites. From looking around these forums, that's pretty damn good.

Of course, rules still apply to this. The "faster" the service from a wireless site to a wireless handset, the more people will try to use it. If the wired bandwidth isn't there (e.g. a T1 line), the more requests will back up, and it will still take 20%-30% longer to deliver information to the wireless handset, than it did before the upgrade.
    Yup.

As for adding cell sites: you can distribute the network load across cell sites by adding more. But if at&t is adding more cell sites in areas that don't have 3g to begin with, it's not helping. And they're putting more new cell sites in areas that don't have 3g anyway, enabling HSPA 7.2 isn't going to help what they already have.
    They're putting more 3G cell sites in places that already have 3G coverage. I think they intend to have that 7.2 upgrade actually mean something once a lot of 7.2 phones get out there.

And just so I can cite some of my data:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...re-iphones.ars

Time for sleep for me. Heading out to a Radio Shack tomorrow morning to get a few minutes with a Pre. Still won't get it until Palm adds real Universal Search (calendar and email, please), but if they do, I probably will
    Last edited by Badandy127; 06/06/2009 at 03:08 AM.
  4. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Latency aside, I see consistent downloads of 1.2 mbps on speed test sites. From looking around these forums, that's pretty damn good.

Yup.

They're putting more 3G cell sites in places that already have 3G coverage. I think they intend to have that 7.2 upgrade actually mean something once a lot of 7.2 phones get out there.

And just so I can cite some of my data:

AT&T promising 3G speed boost for current, future iPhones - Ars Technica

Time for sleep for me. Heading out to a Radio Shack tomorrow morning to get a few minutes with a Pre. Still won't get it until Palm adds real Universal Search (calendar and email, please), but if they do, I probably will
    Email search isn't there for a reason.. If your curious on my (opinion) on the reason... lemme know
    You will never believe this but there is a hash code to enable dual call and Internet. I just tried it and it worked! Guess Sprint is keeping this one in beta till it's official.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    You will never believe this but there is a hash code to enable dual call and Internet. I just tried it and it worked! Guess Sprint is keeping this one in beta till it's official.
    You're right, I don't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You're right, I don't believe it.
    Are you camping at a Sprint store or something?!? Cause it's 1:30am PST. I can't believe I'm the only one up, drunk with girlfriend in bed while I'm watching Talk Soup. Unless you're my evil twin?
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    Email search isn't there for a reason.. If your curious on my (opinion) on the reason... lemme know
    You really needed me to say it? Alright:

I am curious as to your opinion for why Palm left off actual searching for email and calendar even though their main competitor will have it within weeks and when they already had it implemented in their previous Treos.
  9. enjoyingsilence
    IMO.. Strictly IMO :P

The device is web - centric. Email isn't stored on the device, especially with IMAP accounts. It's a pain to search a remote server. Causes mass lag from time to time, might error out, latency issues.

OR

They're pulling an "Apple" in terms of marketing.. leave a few things out to get us hooked, and release updates little by little adding features.
    It is stored on the device though. If you turn off the radio your email will still be there and readable (at least that's what I've understood so far). On the iPhone (when 3.0 comes out in a couple days or weeks) it searches all email on the phone locally and then extends it to the server only if it needs to.
  11. enjoyingsilence
    IMAP messages are cached to the phone? (pre). Even if they are.. the other suggestion still sorta makes sense... leave us with a taste, and a carrot dangling. The carrot = an update
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12