1.    #1  
    Anyone figure out yet how to assign a letter on the keyboard to a specific contact? The only dialing shortcut I see is the abbreviated dial option. I also checked in contacts and couldn't find anything.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    pick a specific contact, tap the contacts button at the top left corner, 2nd option down is "set speed dial"
    Earlier today I saw my phone say I could type a three digit number /somewhere/ as a shortcut for someone I dialed. Where was this and how does it work? I assume that is the "abbreviated dial" option?

Specifically, the Pre said I could use 788 as a shortcut for this contact whos name starts with Stu. Typing 788 into the phone app dials...well, 788 which is not a working number.
    I haven't seen that particular option on the pre...however, usually with that type of option, you wouldn't dial 788 and then push talk, you would type 78 and then push and hold 8 like this:

78(((8)))

Again though, I didn't see this functionality on the pre, though I could have missed it.
    I tried that Larry, and it didn't work. I'm really confused now because I know I saw it as I didn't realize that 788 spelled Stu until I tried it. Now I can't find the source!
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    every one should follow querida's directions for setting the speed dial numbers. I just did it and it works fantastically.

One word of clarification. The "set speed dial" option only appears if you first select the person you want to set to speed dial, then tap the "contacts" tab in the top left hand corner. The "set speed dial" option is second down on *that* menu.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    The cool thing is that you have the whole keyboard to use in speed dial, which is very neat.
    and you don't even need to be in the phone app! you can hold down e.g. "2" from card view and it will speed dial. very handy.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    My speed dials are very temperamental. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't work at all, sometimes it bring up the correct number but then I need to hit enter. They don't work in the dialer app which I don't understand at all. Anyone have a full understanding on the criterial when speed dial is supposed to work? Thanks.
    Speed Dials are very powerful with the Pre.
    *Speed Dials are also used for the One-Key Shortcuts.
    *Use the tap trick to see the speed dial first without diailing it.
    *And you do get 26 Speed Dials, Home can be an H, Work a W.

Also see the tips and tricks link below for more.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida View Post
    pick a specific contact, tap the contacts button at the top left corner, 2nd option down is "set speed dial"
    Hey thanks alot for that. I've been wondering how to do that for awlie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600 View Post
    Earlier today I saw my phone say I could type a three digit number /somewhere/ as a shortcut for someone I dialed. Where was this and how does it work? I assume that is the "abbreviated dial" option?

Specifically, the Pre said I could use 788 as a shortcut for this contact whos name starts with Stu. Typing 788 into the phone app dials...well, 788 which is not a working number.
    Think they were referencing universal search from the desktop start typing in Stu and it will show you Stuwart and Stundle or any other contacts starting with what you type. Universal search is a very powerful tool.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC72 View Post
    Think they were referencing universal search from the desktop start typing in Stu and it will show you Stuwart and Stundle or any other contacts starting with what you type. Universal search is a very powerful tool.
    There's a pretty good chance he figured that out since it's been almost 2 months.
    Thanks for the tip now off to try it
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida View Post
    i know that is a simple thing, but seriously thank you...i had it set then formatted my phone and couldn't remember
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    My fiance recently purchased a Pre and we tried setting up speed dials. She followed the directions that came with the Pre, and (of course) this website. When she chose "set speed dial" a prompt appears asking to choose the speed dial number. The text is grayed out and when a number is chosen, nothing happens.

1. has anyone else experienced this?
    2. what steps is my fiance not following?

thanks for the help.
    I've got 9 speedies set up and when I try to do the last one, the number in the contact comes up gray. I tried rebooting, but it's still the same. Can anyone help?