Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    at Radio Shack. They got 2 in stock and 1 as a demo model not for resale. The store manager said there was a conference today and that no retailers are allowed to activate phones until after their opening hours tomorrow. He also said that no stores are going to have more than 10 units, even Sprint stores. We'll find out tomorrow if this is true.

Anyways, I got to play with it for a while. The unit feels nice and solid. The keyboard is just fine, I've got fairly large hands and I had no problems typing on it. It didn't feel "squishy" either. The unit attracts fingerprints like nothing I've seen before. If the screen gets too covered with fingerprints, the touch does not work right, so I had to wipe it off a few times. The operating system does work nice and smoothly, so does the You Tube app, GPS, and google earth. The web app works very nicely as well.

With the keyboard out the slider moves around a bit so its not complete secure with the main unit. This may be by design, I don't know.

Overall I think it's great. It will take some time of using it, however, to really tell.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Just wondering why couldn't Radio Shack sell you the unit today and activate it tomorrow. Could do it with three way call.
    600P, 700P, Current 800W
    Daughter Centro
    http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com...elief-minutes/ The ultimate smartphone!!!!!!
    I'm eager to take one on a test drive myself... and also eager to see Apple's answer to the Palm Pre.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    Just wondering why couldn't Radio Shack sell you the unit today and activate it tomorrow. Could do it with three way call.
    Probably because in order to get the $199.99 the unit must be activated. Sprint will not allow activations until tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Same here. They had the demo unit and one behind the glass I got to play with but without power.

I spent quite a bit of time with it, to the point the manager probably thought I was a bit crazy. Perhaps it was good it did not have a battery cause I was able to focus on the form factor.

I agree with all the reviews, it sits in the hand magically. It is small enough to slide into my jeans and not be an issue. That is a big deal to me cause I don't do clips, and I don't like to carry anything. Currently I have a G1 and I find I am carrying it around in my hand way too much. I had the BB pearl which sat nicely in my front pocket and that is a feature I really miss. In the pocket, forgotten, until vibrate.

The keyboard is going to take some time to get used to, that is fine though, because it felt like something I just needed to adjust to rather than just sucking. The buttons are raised enough, and have enough resistance that I can learn to press only one. I may keep my finger nails a bit longer for the first month though.

I was debating whether I was going to get it at launch or wait the dust settles to re-evaluate. After having it in my hand, I am buying tomorrow.
    I also just got my hands on a Pre for a couple minutes, at a Sprint store though. Not going to go into all the impressions because it's no different from everybody else's (the thing is great), but one thing I did want to point out was the advocate pointed out that there WAS a facebook app, but somehow she "deleted" it and can't get it back, since it's not officially out yet. It wasn't in the app catalog neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    I also just got my hands on a Pre for a couple minutes, at a Sprint store though. Not going to go into all the impressions because it's no different from everybody else's (the thing is great), but one thing I did want to point out was the advocate pointed out that there WAS a facebook app, but somehow she "deleted" it and can't get it back, since it's not officially out yet. It wasn't in the app catalog neither.
    It was known that there was a Facebook app...they are going to be running a Facebook ad as well I believe (they had a giant Facebook sign as a prop that was found in the making of the ad
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I tell you what guys, I've taken a good hard look at the Pre two times now. I'm coming off of a weary old treo 755 which is begging to be retired, and I want very badly to love the pre.

I've got to say that the keyboard is the deal killer. Its not gonna happen.

We've got a couple great things going on for this phone: The multitouch hi res screen with synergy and card setup is a sweet innovation. The web os is the main awesomeness feature as it totally overhauls the mobile experience.

HOWEVER, the issues involving no memory expansion, no app library, poor keyboard and the lack of guarantee that software developers will develop for the pre the way they are for the iphone is worrisome.

I was told by a best buy representative that verizon has noted the shortcomings of the pre and is going to release an improved version. This is interesting. They are waiting to hear the feedback on the sprint pre in order to make additional modifications.

I was told that the verizon pre, which should arrive in six months, will have an expandable memory card slot which will allow for 32 gigs of extra memory. Now we're talking. Additionally, verizon will be releasing a pre with a significantly improved keyboard, as the sprint kb is very very poor. ( I wholeheartedly agree.) The slider is too much of a hinderance when trying to type. The keys are too flat and close together. The rep told me that the verizon version will exhibit a much more comfortable qwerty pad with keys raised considerably higher than the sprint version for ease of use.

The slider will extend further than the sprint pre's does in order to allow more room for movement.

Lastly, verizon also noted the surprising sharp edges of the pre, and will release a model with rounded edges.. I'm telling ya guys, those sharp edges WILL scratch, and that keyboard WILL be a pain in the ***.

Go with my blessings when you buy your new pre. I hope it works for you. I going to have to pass on this one guys, I just don't think it'll work.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    I was told by a best buy representative...
    Stopped reading right there.

Retail peons don't know jack about corporate strategies, man.

Do you ask the checkout lady at the grocery store about Proctor & Gamble's P/E ratio?
    You were told alot of BS.

If someone knew that much info about the Verizon pre, which no one else seems to have a clue about, including Verizon, I doubt they would be working at Best Buy. Thats too much detail for a best buy rep to know. The phone hasnt even been announced as definitely going to Verizon, and may not be.

I tell you what guys, I've taken a good hard look at the Pre two times now. I'm coming off of a weary old treo 755 which is begging to be retired, and I want very badly to love the pre.

We've got a couple great things going on for this phone: The multitouch hi res screen with synergy and card setup is a sweet innovation. The web os is the main awesomeness feature as it totally overhauls the mobile experience.

HOWEVER, the issues involving no memory expansion, no app library, poor keyboard and the lack of guarantee that software developers will develop for the pre the way they are for the iphone is worrisome.

I was told by a best buy representative that verizon has noted the shortcomings of the pre and is going to release an improved version. This is interesting. They are waiting to hear the feedback on the sprint pre in order to make additional modifications.

I was told that the verizon pre, which should arrive in six months, will have an expandable memory card slot which will allow for 32 gigs of extra memory. Now we're talking. Additionally, verizon will be releasing a pre with a significantly improved keyboard, as the sprint kb is very very poor. ( I wholeheartedly agree.) The slider is too much of a hinderance when trying to type. The keys are too flat and close together. The rep told me that the verizon version will exhibit a much more comfortable qwerty pad with keys raised considerably higher than the sprint version for ease of use.

The slider will extend further than the sprint pre's does in order to allow more room for movement.

Lastly, verizon also noted the surprising sharp edges of the pre, and will release a model with rounded edges.. I'm telling ya guys, those sharp edges WILL scratch, and that keyboard WILL be a pain in the ***.

Go with my blessings when you buy your new pre. I hope it works for you. I going to have to pass on this one guys, I just don't think it'll work.

lol wtf is this guy (who is obviously an exec at verizon with all the info he has) doing working at best buy??
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkMoar View Post
    lol wtf is this guy (who is obviously an exec at verizon with all the info he has) doing working at best buy??
    No joke. What Best Buy was this? Give us the store number.

Edit: This whole story smells of BS. What, was he taking notes as he interviewed this hyper knowledgable Best Buy rep for 30 minutes? He's got a lot of posts, but this sure stinks of manufactured FUD.

Verizon would be sweet! They will have all that plus the promise of much better service and coverage without actually having it and rabid fanboys too!
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Stopped reading right there.

Retail peons don't know jack about corporate strategies, man.

Do you ask the checkout lady at the grocery store about Proctor & Gamble's P/E ratio?
    Look, you don't have to believe it dude. You can take that approach if you want, I could care less. Fact is, there are going to be issues with this phone. While it will have some great points, get ready for some complaining....

Just you wait to see what comes down verizon's pipe, buddy. Just wait.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    > I was told by a best buy representative

I know you have a lot of posts, and I'm new, so I'm not going to step on your entire foot.

> app library

The app library will only be as good as the phone. If the phone is stellar than the apps will follow and I really think this is a moot point. I went from a BB pearl to a G1 for the last 2 months, only to condition my expectations. Although I am not sure about the iphone, I can say there is only 2 Android apps that have made a difference. The rest I can get by with the OS editions. Most applications are half baked and don't add any value.

> poor keyboard

You're right, but I am hoping not to use my keyboard for much. A good bookmarks application can go a long way. The one issue with me is tethering, cause when I want work done I pull out my laptop. I am hedging my bets on this.

> no memory expansion

I don't look to carry around my mp3 collection or movies. I think this is more than enough, I'm hoping podcast support is there, but the rest of my storage needs will be temporary.
    Look, you don't have to believe it dude. You can take that approach if you want, I could care less. Fact is, there are going to be issues with this phone. While it will have some great points, get ready for some complaining....

Your post was reasonable until the ridiculous "best buy representative who knows all of Verizon and Palm's secret plans".

Tell me the store #.

I mean, take this part:
    Additionally, verizon will be releasing a pre with a significantly improved keyboard, as the sprint kb is very very poor
    "Sprint's kb"? Sprint doesn't make the phone. Why would Palm manufacture and sell two versions of the same phone to two different services? That's just dumb.

FUD.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

It's couldn't care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Your post was reasonable until the ridiculous "best buy representative who knows all of Verizon and Palm's secret plans".

Tell me the store #.

Plymouth meeting, Pa Best buy, on chemical road. I have no idea what the store number is.

Call my post ridiculous, whatever. I think that keyboard is ridiculous. the design which dictates that the keyboard access is hampered by the slider's edge getting in the way is totally ridiculous.

Treo users rely heavily on the keyboard. They expect users who depend on a good kb for heavy email, messaging, memo entries etc to be comfortable with that sad attempt?

THAT'S what's ridiculous. Let's see what verizon offers us in six months. Then we'll talk.
    Call my post ridiculous, whatever. I think that keyboard is ridiculous. the design which dictates that the keyboard access is hampered by the slider's edge getting in the way is totally ridiculous.

Treo users rely heavily on the keyboard. They expect users who depend on a good kb for heavy email, messaging, memo entries etc to be comfortable with that sad attempt?

THAT'S what's ridiculous. Let's see what verizon offers us in six months. Then we'll talk.
    I get it. You don't like the keyboard. I have no problem with that.

I have a problem with you making up stories (or pawning off stories from laughable sources as gospel...just as bad).

What I don't get is that is Verizon going to actually manufacturing this updated Pre? Unless Palm agrees to change the manufacturing process of the Pre (and therefore it is no longer the "Pre"), then Verizon has no say on any hardware changes unless Palm agrees to that and manufactures the phone the way that Verizon wants it. that usually never happens with phone manufacturers though.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast