Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I got to play with a Pre today for about an hour. I really did like it, but having never owned a blackberry or touchscreen phone it took a little getting used to.

One thing I was under-impressed by was the GPS accuracy. When I went to GoogleMaps the pushpin had me 2000 ft away from the store and on a major highway. I think there were 2 bars in the store when I tried this.

I turned on Wifi but the store's network was protected. I'm not sure if this helped or if it was purely coincidental, but after a few minutes the pushpin was closer, but still ~500 ft away in the other direction.

Other things that bugged me:

• The bottom edge was kinda sharp when the screen was pushed up. I think engadget said this and everyone wrote them off as iPhone fanboys. It wasn't terrible, but I was aware of it.
    • The spacebar wasn't very responsive. I didn't expect the keys to depress like on a computer keyboard or anything outlandish like that, but there seemed to be very little "give" on the space and I found myself double-checking every third or so space like, 'Did I get it?'
    • Similarly if you wanted to type adjacent keys it was hard to tell if you got them both. Going from the "p" to the "o" I wasn't sure if I got the latter.
    • I don't know if it was because of the weird security clamp the store had attached, but the slider snagged while opening.
    • The keytouch sounds when dialing a number were WAY too loud and I didn't see a way to adjust them. Same for the camera shutter. Hopefully these will be addressed/fixed.

I did love the overall size and the quality of the screen, but after being over-the-moon for the Pre, I have my doubts if a touchscreen phone is for me.
    The bottom edge on the Treo Pro is sharp as well (at least to me) but Seidio's innocase solved that one for me..

Regarding GPS accuracy, sounds like perhaps GPS hadn't locked on yet and it was doing cell tower triangulation which is less accurate possibly?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    Dunno about the locking on theory. The phone was on when I got into the store and this was one of the last things I played with. Had it been the first few minutes I'd agree, but that wasn't the case. :/

I just checked out Seidio's page and it looks like they make pretty cool protectors, but I don't know how you'd cover this edge considering the Pre is a slider (of sorts).
    Another thing, the weak gps chips in these things probably wont pull through a building. I know with my treo pro I have to be in the car, not in my house for the chip to pick up the gps signal. Dave
    You have to enable google maps to talk to the GPS. They probably had this turned off, so you could only see the triangulation of cell towers.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You don't get GPS reception indoors, unless you're close to the window. The reason why it was 2000ft away is that it was using the 'a' part of aGPS. (Assisted GPS). It had locked onto the nearest cell phone tower using the tower ID. The tower's location is known and THAT is what gets transmitted to Google Maps when you don't have a lock.

It also helps the GPS get a faster lock because it doesn't have to guess where it is in location to the satellite constellation. I can give you a more detailed response if you like on how GPS works versus aGPS.

Cell phone bars mean nothing to GPS lock.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by argentknight View Post
    You have to enable google maps to talk to the GPS. They probably had this turned off, so you could only see the triangulation of cell towers.
    It doesn't use triangulation. It uses the ID of the cell tower. The Sprint system knows where you are based on the cell tower you're transmitting (or waiting for) on.

Triangulation is used to pinpoint locations using geometry. Small details...
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    It doesn't use triangulation. It uses the ID of the cell tower. The Sprint system knows where you are based on the cell tower you're transmitting (or waiting for) on.

I think you're incorrect about that. If your phone can see multiple cell towers, it can use the signal strengths from multiple towers and triangulate to get a fix. This would probably work really well in a densely populated area, and not so well on a highway in the middle of nowhere.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post

What he said ^
    GPS won't lock on indoors. I mean this nicely, but you said you've never used a Blackberry or anything, so are you familiar with how phone GPS works? I assume not, and if you're not, why would you post about how underimpressed you were with a feature that you didn't properly understand?
    GPS can lock on in buildings, just not as fast or at all sometimes. My Touch normally would take a few minutes too lock on if I hadnt used GPS in awhile(more than a day) but any uses after that initial time period lock ons would be super quick.

As you said you were in the store...with other high end equipment around. GPS cant lock on good in situations like that....I work in a telecommunications office, where there is all types of didnt signals running....GPS is near impossible in here, probably same as that store.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    The phone actually contains a GPS receiver, correct? Then the accuracy should be fine. Using cell phone towers (eg. aGPS)...not so much.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think you're incorrect about that. If your phone can see multiple cell towers, it can use the signal strengths from multiple towers and triangulate to get a fix. This would probably work really well in a densely populated area, and not so well on a highway in the middle of nowhere.
    Nope... not incorrect.

I'd be happy to quote other sources as well....
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSci625 View Post
    The phone actually contains a GPS receiver, correct? Then the accuracy should be fine. Using cell phone towers (eg. aGPS)...not so much.
    aGPS means "assisted GPS" and it uses cell towers and satellites. The cell towers help get a faster lock on the location, it puts you in the general area. Satellite signals have problems penetrating walls and ceilings though, so accuracy can be poor in a building because the only way of locating may be with cell tower information, which is the general area.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    aGPS means "assisted GPS" and it uses cell towers and satellites. The cell towers help get a faster lock on the location, it puts you in the general area. Satellite signals have problems penetrating walls and ceilings though, so accuracy can be poor in a building because the only way of locating may be with cell tower information, which is the general area.
    ahh gotcha. Will the GPS function work if I'm out of service area?
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSci625 View Post
    ahh gotcha. Will the GPS function work if I'm out of service area?
    Yes and no. Depending on how clear of a view of the sky you have, it can find your location but since both Sprint Navigation and Google Maps rely on a data connection to give you a map, you won't be able to figure out exactly where you are.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I'm having issues where when i open google maps and click the dot next to menu, it says location is unavailable. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I'm having issues where when i open google maps and click the dot next to menu, it says location is unavailable. Any thoughts?
    I had that as well. Reboot
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Whenever I use google maps and am sitting in my house googlemaps is so accurate it can use that blue pin point to show me what room i am in my house. Its kinda scary going to the satellite image and moving around from the front door to the back yard to my bedroom the pinpoint is always dead on. And I only get 2 bars normally in my house.... kinda cool.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sprint Navigation has been spot on and actually beats my Garmin in response time. Google maps I havent tried. Im thinking of selling my Garmin now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast