Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am in doors right now at work. My stand alone GPS will not get a signal here. My Pre gets a good solid, accurate, lock. So it works good to me no matter which info it uses. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    just tried google maps. It nailed my location right down to the street address, and thats from my basement office.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    At my apartment, where I can get a decent gps lock, i can tell you what room i'm in from googlemaps. its more accurate than i thought.
    To sum up what others have said, there are to ways this phone can locate you. Here is a fairly simple explanation.

1. Triangulation using cell phone towers, not very accurate but should work in buildings and under heave cover (in a forest).
    2. The built in GPSr chip. This will get it's best signal when it has a clear shot to a large portion of the sky as it uses 3+ GPS satellites for triangulation.

Now to the original poster, your GPSr was probably turned off in the options.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    To sum up what others have said, there are to ways this phone can locate you. Here is a fairly simple explanation.

1. Triangulation using cell phone towers, not very accurate but should work in buildings and under heave cover (in a forest).
    2. The built in GPSr chip. This will get it's best signal when it has a clear shot to a large portion of the sky as it uses 3+ GPS satellites for triangulation.

Now to the original poster, your GPSr was probably turned off in the options.
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken, I believe you need a minimum of 4 satellites in view--you need an extra one to resolve the time ambiguity.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    I had that as well. Reboot
    Any way to manually search for GPS lock? I really hate rebooting my phone (Takes up to 5 minutes to reload)
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    At my apartment, where I can get a decent gps lock, i can tell you what room i'm in from googlemaps. its more accurate than i thought.
    Same here. I used it this morning and it was tracking me room to room. Kind of creepy, but also cool.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    Yes and no. Depending on how clear of a view of the sky you have, it can find your location but since both Sprint Navigation and Google Maps rely on a data connection to give you a map, you won't be able to figure out exactly where you are.
    You may be right, but on the Palm 800w, the phone only had aGPS. So even with a program that stored maps locally, people could not use that program because the phone needed the Sprint cell tower info to prime the GPS. I do not know if the Pre has standalone and aGPS (there are phones that can do both), but if the GPS is implemented like the 800w, then the answer is it will not work outside of the Sprint service area. At this point it isn't important because there is no software like Tomtom or Garmin with local maps.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhay312 View Post
    Same here. I used it this morning and it was tracking me room to room. Kind of creepy, but also cool.
    Did a test last night that might be fun for some of you....go outside to do it:

1. Location Services: GPS OFF. Leave it off for a while to give a fair representation of actual Satellite link times, maybe finish steps 2-4 in about 5-10 min (leave this card open though...see below)
    2. Open Google Maps, allow it to locate you via Cell towers...you'll see the big blue circle. Zoom in a decent amount and switch to Satellite view.
    3. Jump back to card view, switch back to Location Services card, switch GPS back ON
    4. Switch back to google maps and wait to be amazed...

Mine switched from the big blue circle to only the pin dot in about 2 seconds and had me exactly correct on the street corner I was standing on...

I know everyone will have different response times, but with a good line-of-sight with the sky, this GPS picks your position up FAST!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12