Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Say, is there any type of VPN available on the Palm Pre? Thanks.
    I'm very interested in this too. If the Pre is going to replace my BB Storm, it needs to have at least VPN support with Good Mobile Messaging the real program needed.
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    You can use vpn through classic but as of now that's the only solution..
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    I understand that Palm is going for the fat middle, but VPN only in classic is disappointing. The Pre (or WebOS in general) MUST have native VPN support before corporate users will even consider switching.
    VPN is not a "must" for corporate users. A secure EAS setup is what is mainly needed.

A VPN app will come. The phone just came out today! Give the developers some time.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    VPN is not a "must" for corporate users. A secure EAS setup is what is mainly needed.

A VPN app will come. The phone just came out today! Give the developers some time.
    As far as I know, there is a VPN app in developing. It's just that it can't make it for this release. I believe you will have one over time after some update...

may not be a "must" for some corporations but it sure is for us.... I cannot believe they released this without a cisco compliant vpn client... massive oversight... any idea who might be working on a client?

Actually they're looking for developers...

http://recruit.trovix.com/jobhostmas...pnytaw7cw3op7c
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    Where can I find the VPN for classic? Although not ideal maybe I can work with it for now. These are some things I miss from my iPhone and WM phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaziod View Post
    may not be a "must" for some corporations but it sure is for us.... I cannot believe they released this without a cisco compliant vpn client... massive oversight... any idea who might be working on a client?
    How is not having a Cisco compliant VPN a massive oversight? If you need to VPN into your network to get your mail then your IT staff is not doing it right.

What exactly requires VPN? Do you have internal web sites you need to get to?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    How is not having a Cisco compliant VPN a massive oversight? If you need to VPN into your network to get your mail then your IT staff is not doing it right.

What exactly requires VPN? Do you have internal web sites you need to get to?
    For me internal websites and RDP.
    certainly not for email ;-) our little company uses google apps private domain mail..

no, we need it for our internal websites.. we manage every aspect of our business through remote servers and must do so through VPN... a decent phone with VPN will enable our support techs to respond to tickets and process orders from their phone.. potentially replacing laptops all together
    I would use it to for client connections, due to regulations, some clients only allow connection through vpn, and I support over 150 clients (read: businesses) so I do alot of remote connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky Cricket View Post
    I would use it to for client connections, due to regulations, some clients only allow connection through vpn, and I support over 150 clients (read: businesses) so I do alot of remote connections.
    I'm with you on the client connections. This is critical for me.
    Hear hear . . .

All we really need is working, secure EAS client and on the corporate side, a SSL VPN. Via the SSL VPN, the Pre's browser will give you secure access to all internal web sites and web apps. The IPSec VPN clients are just so passe . . .
    Pilot 1000=>Pilot 5000=>Palm IIIx=>Palm Vx=>Palm 505m=>Treo 600=>Treo 650=>Treo 700wx=>Treo 755p=>Palm Pre=>Palm Pre 2
    At my old job, in order to log into EAS from outside the network, you needed to VPN into the network. They only officially supported Blackberries there anyway though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    At my old job, in order to log into EAS from outside the network, you needed to VPN into the network. They only officially supported Blackberries there anyway though.
    That's one of the primary reasons why MS developed EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) protocol. To allow secure remote access to Exchange servers *without* the need to deploy full network layer VPN clients to remote mobile devices. Running EAS-compliant email client on your mobile device offers far greater security and usability then having to manually lunch VPN client just to get your corporate email. Its just not done any more. All you really need is a good SSL VPN gateway to achive both EAS proxy connection to back-end Exchange server and secure access to internal web apps. Nowadays, running full IPSec VPN client on a mobile device is an asinine idea, IMHO.
    Pilot 1000=>Pilot 5000=>Palm IIIx=>Palm Vx=>Palm 505m=>Treo 600=>Treo 650=>Treo 700wx=>Treo 755p=>Palm Pre=>Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by lexart View Post
    That's one of the primary reasons why MS developed EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) protocol. To allow secure remote access to Exchange servers *without* the need to deploy full network layer VPN clients to remote mobile devices. Running EAS-compliant email client on your mobile device offers far greater security and usability then having to manually lunch VPN client just to get your corporate email. Its just not done any more. All you really need is a good SSL VPN gateway to achive both EAS proxy connection to back-end Exchange server and secure access to internal web apps. Nowadays, running full IPSec VPN client on a mobile device is an asinine idea, IMHO.
    Well, I'm not saying the IT people at my old company were exactly the brightest bunch...
    Quote Originally Posted by lexart View Post
    The IPSec VPN clients are just so passe . . .
    passe or not that's still how many corporations do business. If Palm expects the corporate world to change for it, then the Pre won't make much in-roads into the business community. VPN support or at least something like Good Mobile Messaging IS critical for ME. Without that, there's no way I'm letting go of my Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRanger View Post
    passe or not that's still how many corporations do business. If Palm expects the corporate world to change for it, then the Pre won't make much in-roads into the business community. VPN support or at least something like Good Mobile Messaging IS critical for ME. Without that, there's no way I'm letting go of my Blackberry.
    Hmmm . . .

Does Good Mobile Messaging run on the Pre? I didn't think so. Beside Pre's web browser, please name another Pre's native application client that would need full network layer access to enterprise internal network. There're none and thus no requirement for IPSec VPN on the Pre, yet
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast