Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My company just signed a huge deal with Sprint and the Palm guys came and gave an hour long demo. They were asked about VPN by our IT staff and Palm said that they were developing something and it was about to go in to beta testing this week. I believe our IT dept is going to be able to take part in that beta, although I don't really know anyone involved so that is all I know.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thanks for the hope.
    A VPN client is a must for me as well. I was using my Samsung i760 (WinMo) with Bluefire VPN client before getting the PRE. I must say, it worked very well. Bluefire VPN is the only client I found that supported Group Authentication. I hope if Palm is really developing a client they will include this feature. Maybe Palm could look into hiring Bluefire people since it looks like they have closed down. I recenetly was using two devices as well like CANTAFFORDIT. I was using my Itouch (sold it due to their recent "Complaints"). Their native VPN worked really well along with mocha vnc and jaadu vnc. So now I carry my laptop around with me if I need to VPN. Does anyone now if there is or going to be a VNC client as well?
    I am also in need of a PPTP VPN client so that I can use RDP (with EZ-Remote) in Classic to access various windows 2003 server.

Hopefully something will come up soon.
    Hi all, I wrote tutorial howto connect to pptp vpn on WebOS device.

You can read it on WebOS Internals wiki - Application:PPTP vpn - WebOS Internals

This process isn't user friendly, you should have some Linux knowledge, but I hope that someone will write WebOS application for manage vpn connections.
    Last edited by karry; 05/15/2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: add webosinternals.org link
    Quote Originally Posted by karry View Post
    Hi all, I wrote tutorial howto connect to pptp vpn on WebOS device.

You can read it on WebOS Internals wiki - Application:PPTP vpn (Damn! Precentral forum forbids add url into posts from new users)

This process isn't user friendly, you should have some Linux knowledge, but I hope that someone will write WebOS application for manage vpn connections.
    So im not too savvy on this stuff, would this work with group authentication?
    Need this also, to access WiFi at work. Looking forward to it.
    If you configured optware there's a precompiled vpnc package available:

Code:
    palm-webos-device / # ipkg-opt info vpnc
    Package: vpnc
    Version: 0.5.3-1
    Depends: libgcrypt, openssl, kernel-module-tun
    Section: net
    Architecture: arm
    maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
    MD5Sum: adac5713f2400408eead0fd3b9d3ed8a
    Size: 72145
    Filename: vpnc_0.5.3-1_arm.ipk
    Source: http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/vpnc-0.5.3.tar.gz
    Description: Client for Cisco VPN concentrator
    I didn't try it though.

Since i'm self employed i define my own security policy and that states that IPSec (aka "Cisco VPN") is a PITA and that i have to use OpenVPN to access my servers.

And - you guessed it - there's an OpenVPN package available on optware aswell. Works like a charm. Ok, there's no GUI of course, so i have to open "terminal" and type "svpn" (small shellscript to start everything), but that's really ok for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post

Code:
    palm-webos-device / # ipkg-opt info vpnc
    Package: vpnc
    Version: 0.5.3-1
    Depends: libgcrypt, openssl, kernel-module-tun
    Section: net
    Architecture: arm
    maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
    MD5Sum: adac5713f2400408eead0fd3b9d3ed8a
    Size: 72145
    Filename: vpnc_0.5.3-1_arm.ipk
    Source: http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/vpnc-0.5.3.tar.gz
    Description: Client for Cisco VPN concentrator
    I didn't try it though.

Since i'm self employed i define my own security policy and that states that IPSec (aka "Cisco VPN") is a PITA and that i have to use OpenVPN to access my servers.

And - you guessed it - there's an OpenVPN package available on optware aswell. Works like a charm. Ok, there's no GUI of course, so i have to open "terminal" and type "svpn" (small shellscript to start everything), but that's really ok for me.

ok my main question is if these features are "somehow" available in the backround....why hasnt anyone made a UI yet?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post

Can you teach me how to use openVPN on palm pre?
    PM me please..
    Quote Originally Posted by krope32 View Post
    My company just signed a huge deal with Sprint and the Palm guys came and gave an hour long demo. They were asked about VPN by our IT staff and Palm said that they were developing something and it was about to go in to beta testing this week. I believe our IT dept is going to be able to take part in that beta, although I don't really know anyone involved so that is all I know.
    Iiinteresting. This brings hope. Can you bug your IT people for more information??
    Quote Originally Posted by mameto View Post
    Can you teach me how to use openVPN on palm pre?
    I'm afraid the procedure (without installer, ipk package etc) takes a bit of Linux knowledge. It's not hard, just a little cumbersome. The hardest part is the tunnel configuration itself. And that's Linux generic and not webOS specific...

EDIT: Below is the long variant - i installed it that way. In the meantime the openvpn package seems to be available in Preware. Might save you a few steps. Oh, and have a look here: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...N_for_Palm_Pre

Supposing you already have an OpenVPN server up and running (i won't explain the server part here, that'll lead too far - see links below)

1) Install Preware on the Pre - i assume you already did...

2) install "terminal" with Preware

3) Enable a shell login on your Pre, you'll need to execute "novaterm" later on: Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

4) Enable Optware: Optware - WebOS Internals
    Basically you need to install "Optware Bootstrap" and "Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer" with Preware.
    Then follow the commands in above link (You'll need shell access here. Easiest method without ssh access is "novaterm")

5) Install OpenVPN. Open a "novaterm" window and type "ipkg-opt install openvpn". That will install the necessary dependencies, too.

6) Put your OpenVPN config files in "/opt/etc/openvpn". Easiest method without setting up openssh is copy and paste from your desktop computer. All necessary files are ASCII. In "novaterm" type "cat > FILENAME" (replace FILENAME accordingly), then copy the desired content and close the "cat" command with "ctrl-d".

That's about all that's specific to webOS/Pre. The rest is standard OpenVPN setup.

Code:
    palm-webos-device root # ls -l /opt/etc/openvpn
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2569 Apr 15 01:02 ca.crt
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1570 Apr 15 01:03 client.crt
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          887 Apr 15 01:03 client.key
    -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         4084 Apr 15 01:10 openvpn.conf
    ca.crt is the CA certificate (copy from your OpenVPN Server)
    client.crt is the client certificate
    client.key is the private key of the client
    openvpn.conf is the configuration

You need to generate the client certificate and private key and sign the certificate. All this isn't specific to webOS and there are plenty of tutorials available. That's standard OpenVPN procedure.

The (imho) best tutorial is here: HOWTO

7) last webOS specific command:

Add a shellscript "svpn" (or whatever) in "/var/home/root":

Code:
    palm-webos-device root # cat svpn
    #!/bin/sh

cd /opt/etc/openvpn
    openvpn --config /opt/etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf
    and make it executable ("chmod 755 svpn")

To start your VPN connection open "terminal" and simply execute "svpn". Leave "terminal" open.

To stop the VPN connection simply close "terminal". To be sure, you can stop the tunnel manually first. Type "ctrl-c" aka "sym-c" in "terminal".

Perhabs you should set up an OpenVPN tunnel between two Linux hosts or a Windows client (tutorial here: OpenVPN GUI for Windows) and a Linux server first. That way you'll learn the basics.

If that tunnel works add a webOS client. Of course you can simply clone the first tunnel config including key/certificate if you don't need it simultaneously to the Pre tunnel...

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by WalterH; 04/26/2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by krope32 View Post
    Any news? Did they get the beta VPN? Anything?
    Since Palm seem to be whipping something up, and since it looks like it's been in beta for a month, my hope is that native VPN support might be in one of the next updates, maybe already in 1.5, maybe only in the mythical 2.0 that looms at this fall's horizon.

I don't need VPN, but it would give me free WiFi access when I'm at Uni. As it is, I can only use my 3G network, which isn't so bad since I have near-perfect signal there.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123