Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Do you think LogMeIn Hamachi - VPN would work in the meantime, using the Linux version?
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRanger View Post
    I understand that Palm is going for the fat middle, but VPN only in classic is disappointing. The Pre (or WebOS in general) MUST have native VPN support before corporate users will even consider switching.
    Um... OK! if you say so. But let's think about this for a minute. Does the average person on the street know what VPN is? The answer is, "NO!". Hence, VPN users are not part of the primary target. I have not doubt that a 3rd party will develop a VPN client. But it's hardly a priority.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Getting the device out the door with EAS was Palm's priority. VPN clients will follow just like with PalmOS and WinMo.
    I downloaded the sources for vpnc from the palm open source website and compiled it on the device. Works nicely for cisco vpn. Unfortunately I cannot post a step by step guide, because I have to have at least ten posts to be able to post links. tough luck
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    PM it to me!!! then all i need is an RDC client.
    Quote Originally Posted by gothrive View Post
    Say, is there any type of VPN available on the Palm Pre? Thanks.
    Hrm. I haven't gotten around to fully installing optware yet, but If that has ssh and ppp, it's not too difficult to tunnel ppp over ssh to create a poor man's vpn. You of course need those things on a (probably linux) box on the remote end.

At least that is what I am currently doing on my laptop. Works surprisingly well for being wrapped in tcp.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    i managed to install vpnc but it gives an error when i try to connect.
    Error: either "to" is duplicate or "(null)" is garbage.

anybody succeed on running vpnc ?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    oh btw, knobby, i don't think ssh exist yet.. please do let me know if you found one tho. you'd make my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by esunarto View Post
    i managed to install vpnc but it gives an error when i try to connect.

anybody succeed on running vpnc ?
    Initially I got that error too. Still, even when that message was shown the vpn connection/tunneling worked.
    I don't know precisely what I changed but yesterday that error disappeared suddenly. Probably it had to do with one of those two changes:
    1) I noticed that bringing up vpn changes /etc/resolv.conf. Then if the internet connection goes down while VPN is up my DNS does not work anymore (ie. can still ping every public ip address but not resolve names anymore). So I emptied /etc/resolve.conf and then it worked fine again.
    2) In /etc/vpnc/default.conf I put the IP address of my gateway instead of the server name.

I also always do
    mount -o remount,rw /
    before I bring vpn up or down and
    mount -o remount,ro /
    after the up/down command finished.

Have been using vpnc for the last few days and had no troubles apart from the ones described.
    Last edited by jsa1969; 10/23/2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by esunarto View Post
    oh btw, knobby, i don't think ssh exist yet.. please do let me know if you found one tho. you'd make my day.
    Someone did that job for us already. I cannot post links yet, so I'll leave out the http colon slash slash part at the start to get around that:

palmpre-hacks.com/palm-pre-hacks/how-to-ssh-into-your-palm-pre

In the optware packes dropbear is described as: "Lightweight SSH client and server system". So I'd assume even though the article only describes how to ssh into your Pre dropbear should also work the other way round.
    Last edited by jsa1969; 10/23/2009 at 05:24 AM.
    I also found this bug report (and workarounds) for this problem:
    basically a problem with the output from iproute 2, which can be worked around with a few changes in vpnc-script (still haven't posted enought to be able to post links):

http colon slash slash bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151852
    Last edited by jsa1969; 11/09/2009 at 03:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    How is not having a Cisco compliant VPN a massive oversight? If you need to VPN into your network to get your mail then your IT staff is not doing it right.

What exactly requires VPN? Do you have internal web sites you need to get to?
    Finace systems, Journal sites, intranet, filestores, BBC iPlayer. There are many reasons for VPN. The only one I tend to care about is BBC iPlayer. :-) thank god for the VPN when travelling abroad
    I would like to see vpn as well. Anyone know of any in development?
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa1969 View Post
    Initially I got that error too. Still, even when that message was shown the vpn connection/tunneling worked.
    I don't know precisely what I changed but yesterday that error disappeared suddenly. Probably it had to do with one of those two changes:
    1) I noticed that bringing up vpn changes /etc/resolv.conf. Then if the internet connection goes down while VPN is up my DNS does not work anymore (ie. can still ping every public ip address but not resolve names anymore). So I emptied /etc/resolve.conf and then it worked fine again.
    2) In /etc/vpnc/default.conf I put the IP address of my gateway instead of the server name.

I also always do
    mount -o remount,rw /
    before I bring vpn up or down and
    mount -o remount,ro /
    after the up/down command finished.

Have been using vpnc for the last few days and had no troubles apart from the ones described.
    I got vpnc working but got the same issue with DNS resolution. Everytime I connect and disconnect, I have to remember to edit /etc/resolv.conf, clear the entries and save the file. Other than that small hassle, it works fine. Maybe someone with more know-how can create a homebrew app to connect, disconnect and clear the resolv.conf.
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
    I'm disappointed this seems to be totally off the scope for Palm. Anyone heard rumors about it being included?
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> BB Storm
    Bump
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Still no VPN???
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    How is not having a Cisco compliant VPN a massive oversight? If you need to VPN into your network to get your mail then your IT staff is not doing it right.

What exactly requires VPN? Do you have internal web sites you need to get to?
    I'm glad you don't think our IT department is "doing it right". You might even be correct in that statement - assuming there is ONLY one right way to do something. In fact, they probably don't do a lot of things "right" in your view. However, you don't get a vote with our IT department, and neither do I. Their requirements are fixed, and they aren't going to change them because I email your post to them, and they "see the light" and start doing things "right".

Unless I am in the HQ building (1,000 miles away) I must have a VPN to reach our Exchange server. We even have to use the VPN for Outlook Web Access. I also have to use a VPN to reach shared file space, Sharepoint servers, and our Oracle enterprise applications. I don't like it, but they don't care what I like. If I was in their shoes, I wouldn't care either. They give me a blackberry, and they don't care that I want to use my Pre instead.

All of the servers I just mentioned are behind the firewall, and are on non-route-able IP addresses. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this set-up. I've had the same situation with a previous employer, so there are at least two companies in the universe that aren't as smart as you are.

So don't tell me or the other posters what OUR requirements are, or what our opinions are. I agree that the lack of a VPN client for the world of Cisco and Check Point is a problem, and is something that will help- me, and help Palm gain traction on corporate America. Feel free to have a different opinion. But, don't tell me that because my IT department isn't as smart as yours, and that they "aren't doing it right" that my need just goes away.

I could solve the problem by using a Windows phone (talk about not doing right...) or the Blackberry they give me. But, I like Palm, and Palm phones meet my needs and preferences better than those other choices.

I won't tell you what my needs and preferences are, because I don't need you telling me that I don't need or prefer those things, and that I must be "doing it wrong" if I think I need things that YOU don't think I need.

That said, can anyone point me to a VPN client (classic or webOS - I'll try anything)?

If there isn't something that will work, I'll just keep carrying two devices. If there is, I'd appreciate the help.

In either case, you can just skip past the temptation to criticize our IT department or my views on what I need to do my job.

Thanks!

*he turns slowly and steps from the soap box and disappears into the cheering crowd of VPN users...*
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Still no VPN, its not just for e-mail.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    VPN 3 reasons
    1. Timesheet software
    2. in / out board
    3. email attachments on company server.

VPN is not just for e-mail or exchange.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast