1.    #1  
    OK folks, many of us have been hating on Garnet for some time now. It is true, it is far beyond long-in-the-tooth stage. BUT. As we bemoan the features, customization, tools, hacks, etc. that the Pre WILL NOT launch with, I thought it appropriate to show some final love to Garnet/Palm OS.

For many of these devices, the functionality, flexibility and easy of use have become integral to our daily lives. Change will be difficult and doesn't appear painless. I have every hope that Palm (and its partners and US) will make WebOS the next great step. But while we wait (yes, more waiting), Take a moment to be grateful for all the original Palm OS has done for us.

Just a few thoughts:

Grafitti kicked Newton's ****. Practical. Fast. Simple.
    Developer community. Awesome, but in retrospect - pricey.
    Hotsync. Pioneering and still better than most stuff.
    Treo. Groundbreakingly practical.
    Palm V - Sexy
    For one thing I will not miss the packet data and Internet support. My Centro is horrible in that aspect.

Oh and did I mention random resets?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I have about 20 Palms in various states. I had an app developed and use them for data collection in my business. They have been terrific, dead reliable (unless they get dropped in a swimming pool) I've been using my app for 8 years without a hiccup. One Palm replaces 5-3 inch three ring binders. The data feeds into an access database which can be with me at all times. Can webos do this? No. But it could send the data to a server in realtime....I better not think along those lines. Costs money. The great thing about Garnet is my employees are NOT computer people. One guy is proud of the fact that he doesn't even know how to turn one on. Yet can train a new guy to use the palm, all the functions he needs, in 20 minutes!
    Now I buy old Palms (Os 4.0) on ebay so I have plenty of spares. Still, I'll have a Pre for myself tomorrow morning.
    After tomorrow, my Treo can kiss my arse.*

*=Pending
    let go of the past.
    I'll miss POS' PIM functionality, which seems more robust than webOS at launch. One of the reasons I lost interest in the iPhone five minutes after reading its announcement at Macworld was the lack of productivity features: Where's the To Do list? You can't sync memos? WTF?

The Pre's implementation of Tasks and Memos is a step back from the Palm OS. Tasks can only sync with Outlook, Memos lack categories and can't sync at all. Fail. And the Post-It representation of memos, assuming there's no List View, is cheesy beyond words.

But I'll deal. Just wanted to give props to a classic of mobile technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    I'll miss POS' PIM functionality, which seems more robust than webOS at launch. One of the reasons I lost interest in the iPhone five minutes after reading its announcement at Macworld was the lack of productivity features: Where's the To Do list? You can't sync memos? WTF?
    I use 3rd party PIM software on my Centro. I won't be missing it though because tomorrow I will still be using my Centro.
    P-OS wrote the book on functionality on a hand-held device. There's still nothing that combines the ease of use, power, flexibility and application availability of P-OS devices. The iPhone is simple, but not so powerful as a PIM. WM is powerful, and anything but simple. BB is neither terribly simple (in terms of ease of use) nor does it have anywhere near the rich variety applications available on P-OS. Symbian? Please.

WebOS? Undeniably slick, but the Pre PIM is a weak stepchild to the functionality that P-OS has had for near 15 years. And time will tell about apps.

Unfortunately, the P-OS has been stretched way too far. It was never intended to support phone radios, blue-tooth, and web functionality. It's just too unstable to survive as phones get more and more powerful and sophisticated. But as a PIM, there's nothing better.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.