Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I partied hard last night and did not wake up until 9:19am. I debated about which store to drive too. I called my sis and she called Cheltenham for me. they told her that they only had 20 left. I got there and there was about 4 people in front of me. I didn't know how many people had bought once since then, but why did this lady in front of me who was waiting for service decide to upgrade. I couldn't believe it. But they still had one for me. Boy was I lucky!
    Got 2 Pre today, finally got both activated and this is from mine. My wife's is ready for her to try out.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ironically, after reading all the worries about limited supplies at Best Buy, I wound up being the first in line when they opened at 10 am in North Canton, Ohio... and they only had two on hand! I showed up about 15 mins. prior to opening, so that was some good luck.

Funny thing is, I had made a whole morning out of it... went to the first of 3 local Sprint stores at 5 mins. before 8 am and there was no line. Passed by the Best Buy (which is sandwiched between the Sprint stores), no line. Second Sprint store, about 10 people in line by 8 am. I grabbed some breakfast and hung out in the mall a bit, where the kiosk for the 3rd Sprint store was... the rep there said I had the best shot if I got there at 9:30 am when he arrived. Got tired of waiting so I headed back to the first Sprint store, thinking no line = best chance, and they sold out of all 24 phones they had! Thankfully, the second Sprint store still had some left, so when the mall kiosk rep didn't show by 9:40 am, I headed to Best Buy and that's where I wound up getting it.

Silly as it sounds, it was fun to do anyway... I probably should have just walked right into the first Sprint store at 8 am, but it gave me a chance to read up on what everyone else was doing via iPhone first.
    I got in line @ 6:40 this morning and was 10th in line. Store opened @ 8. I walked out with my pre about 8:30.

I'm LOVING this phone so far.

I just transfered my contacts from my old phone to my pre...

old phone-> laptop via bluetooth and transfered contacts.
    exported contacts from laptop to a .csv
    imported .csv to contacts in Gmail
    <wait a couple of minutes>
    contacts transfered to pre... yeah!!!
    Got my Pre this morning and am LOVING it for the most part (save for a few bugs)!!!! :-) 'Twas well worth getting up early on a Saturday morning to be at the store at 7:30! (Yes, despite the store trying to fool ppl by telling them, when they called the day before, that they didn't open until 10 - I figured I'd make sure and go for an 8 opening and, sure enough, that's when it opened!) And it was worth waiting and waiting and waiting while the employees were very slow at getting each sale and phone up and running! (I was 6th or 7th in line and wasn't out of the store 'til 9:15!)

The store didn't have many. After the 8 or so of us who had arrived before the store opened at 8, maybe 4 or 5 other ppl showed up. Before all of them had shown up, somebody had called the store to see if there were any Pres left and the guy said yes, but there was a line and if that guy came into the store right then, he likely wouldn't get a Pre. Somebody came after that call - was visiting from the west coast and got mixed up with the time zones - and asked the manager, "You have tons of them, right?" "No, we don't," she replied. "You're not going to run out right in front of me, are you?" "I hope not, but it might happen, depending on how many phones the ppl in front of you get." I hope that guy was able to get a Pre!

At first I couldn't figure out how to get a photo I took with the nice-quality camera to upload to Facebook, but then I found the feature for it in the photos menu itself (not in the Web browser on either x.Facebook or www Facebook). x.Facebook.com (the Pre's pre-set Facebook home page) definitely needs some work, though - you can't comment on ppl's statuses/activities (or see others' comments) or like statuses/activities. Your own status also doesn't show up with everybody else's even though it did update your status.

I figured out how to highlight text and jump the cursor around by reading the pamphlet that came with the phone (figured I'd look at it while my phone was charging on the Touchstone). The highlight accuracy needs a bit more work, though, as it doesn't quite follow through enough.

I HIGHLY recommend the Touchstone!! Not only is it cool and easy to charge the phone, but the special phone back that you use with the Touchstone is much better than the original back that comes with the phone. The original back is shiney black plastic (similar to the Centro's back), which loves fingerprints, oil smudges, and other dirty stuff (like the Centro's back does). The Touchstone back is a soft-touch matte black rubberized piece - very nice to hold and it keeps those fingerprints and smudges from showing! :-)

The only thing I don't like about the Touchstone is that it is hard to get the Palm plug into the stone due to the angle of the hole and the depth of the opening and all. I'll likely get used to it if I have to keep doing it, but I'll prob'ly just buy another cable for PC sync (and a third for my emergency charger).

Yeah, the plug-in for power on the Pre is NOT a regular mini-USB! Of course not; Palm wanted to make more money selling accessory plugs. :-P I wasn't about to buy their branded car charger for a crazy price when I know that now or very soon I'll be able to buy one for much less at one of those Palm accessory online stores (I haven't looked to see if they have them yet).

The screen is great. The keyboard is slightly different from the Centro's, so I'm having to get used to not having to touch a shift key to get a comma and having to touch the orange key to get a 0 and other little changes. It is easy to type on, though. I don't like how the Pre has automatic capitalization at what it thinks is the start of each new sentence, though; it gets annoying to have to press the backspace to lowercase letters that shouldn't be capitalized. I also miss the quick access to smilies that the Centro had (just type a colon and then hit "alt" and select a semi-colon, smilie, frownie, or winky). They did put the smilies in the symbols, but way down at the bottom so that it is much quicker to type the three characters on the keyboard than to hit "sym" and scroll down to where the smilies are in the pop-up box and select the one you want. They did put the Pre "e" (with the straight line over it) in the symbols, so it is fun to spell "Pre" correctly on the phone. ;-)

TWO THUMBS UP from me ... well, if you can pry my thumbs away from using the Pre....
    Last edited by Bag of Leaves; 06/07/2009 at 12:28 AM.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wow this bd boy is buttery smooth! I never posted on these forums until now with the pre. In fact, I need to put it away and go to bed. Some points:
    • I was able to make this bulleted list because the web is buttery smooth on here
    • The camera is ****in bad-*** because it takrs pics vey quickly then makes then look great later. Pretty neat
    • Downside: how slippery it is.
    • Upside: buttery ****in smooth. like its sitting on a stack of steaming flapjacks. Im talkin about the OS and apps and all.

I feel naughty for enjoyong it this much. LOL
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    i'm approaching fifty. for those who do not know, vision changes during the forties. small things start to become hard to see for everybody older than 40. that means small size text on web pages, especially, is near impossible to see after 40. it will happen to each of you too!! no one gets away from the problem with seeing small things on screen. so reading glasses are the universal solution.

i don't "need" glasses, i have better than 20/20 vision.
    i've always thought that the "killer app" that would make smartphones really explode beyond their 1% marketshare would allow middle age adults, a group who can easily afford smartphones, to actually see what's on the screen. this is the true "ergonomic" issue.

question, is a web page on the palm pre's screen visible to someone age 50+ or will that demographic simply end up with an expensive plain old phone because they can't use, see the other features?
    Woops, forgot to post yesterday! I was about 12th in line and got my Pre around 9am. Loving it!

I forgot to mention that there were 70ish right before I went in and about 100 when I walked out with the first unit
    Last edited by Shenaniguns; 06/08/2009 at 12:00 AM.
    @darrylb1: I'm a lady of a certain age myself, and have worn glasses for astigmatism since I was 9, and bifocals for about 7 years now. I find that using landscape view and zooming makes web pages quite readable. Most web pages have columns, so once you zoom in and make the column fit the landscape screen, they are quite readable. I'm already an old pro at the pinch-and-expand after one day!
    The Sprint Store I went to opened at 8. Maybe a lil earlier. I got there about 5 minutes late. I seen there wasn't a line and was really excited. I seen people in the store and tried to open the door and failed. I found out a lil later. They were only allowing 2 customers per employee. So I had to wait until one of them left. There were 10 inside and I was # 11. I'm glad I didn't show up at 6.
    But I got my Pre and i'm loving it.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I showed up @ one of the Panama City Sprint stores @ 8:10 yesterday and there was no line outside, but there were people waiting inside. I had to sign in and saw I was 7th on the list. After waiting 10 minutes they told me it would be at least 45 minutes until they could get to me??? Funny cause only 2 out of approximately 6 Sprint employees were actually working! They told me the other store has no wait and that they would call and tell em I was headed over. After I got to the other store, they couldn't activate the phone until they went outside??? They said their old corrugated metal roof blocks the Sprint signal in there so only Roaming in store. Since you have to be on Sprint to activate, we had to go outside until it did its thing. After that everything worked great!! Love this phone, but I am noticing some dead pixels on bootup. Ill get it exchanged later.
    you can't plug a miniUSB into a microUSB port...
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    I showed up at the local sprint store at around 8:15. I noticed the place seemed to be packed so I drove off. A couple blocks away I decided what the hell and went back to see how many were really there. Our store had 20 and I was #18 lol. I was there almost 3 hours waiting and doing upgrade. Phone is freaking awesome, surely beats my razr3 to the dirt. I figured the sprint store would be the best place to go because I was guessing the bulk of the people would be hitting best buy to get the instant rebate so they didn't have to fork out as much cash in the beginning. By the sounds of it alot were turned away there.
    Arrived at Best Buy at 6:45, I was number 6. People stared to leave their cars and sit in front of the store at 7:30pm est. Receive my number at 8:30, did all the paper work at 9 and walked out with my Pre at 10AM.
    If you're new to Sprint you're eligable for a $25 referral bonus. They'll send you a pre-paid debit card spendable anywhere they take debit cards. I'd be happy to volunteer myself to be your referral source. I would get a $25 card as well New Sprint customers only, and it takes about 30 seconds from your shiny new Pre. I did one today and it's literally free money. You would dial #733 on your phone and enter my phone number when prompted. That's it. PM me here for my number if the mood strikes you.

Here's the site for info: http://www.sprint.com/landings/refrewards/
    Verizon
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    were you able to sync contacts from mac address book? I cannot figure it out.
    Got mine at a franchise store in Costa Mesa CA called Coast to Coast Wireless! Pretty stoked I didn't have to wait in line. It did, however, take forever to set the phone up and to port the number. There was another location that I'd visited who told me I could get the phone Tuesday and they'd begun the porting process, so the Costa Mesa store had to cancel that port request and start anew. Got there around 10:05am and didn't leave the store until 11:50am. Then I found out that the number didn't get ported, and the Sprint Customer Service rep was so nice and solved all of my issues. Did anyone else in California have to pay tax on the full MSRP of $549.99? I believe I might have heard somewhere that this is state law. Is this true? In any event this phone is great!
    1. My name is Khalid Draper.
    2. My forum username is taalibeen.
    3. I post to the forums about 0 times per day (just joined and just picked up my PrPrPr&#$275$;).
    4. I believe I could post about 2-3 posts per day.
    5. I own a PrPrPr&#$275$;.
    6. I’m an Oracle database administrator with fourteen years experience in the IT field. My PrPrPr&#$275$;$vious$ $phone$ $was$ $a$ $Palm$ $Centro$, $one$ $much$ $beloved$ $to$ $me$. $Checking$ $e$-$mail$, $updating$ $my$ $calendar$, $keeping$ $track$ $of$ $friends$ $and$ $family$ $via$ $Facebook$, $and$ $staying$ $abreast$ $of$ $what$$s$ $going$ $on$ $in$ $the$ $world$ $via$ $CNN$ $and$ $other$ $online$ $news$ $media$ $fills$ $my$ $normal$ $daily$ $smartphone$ $experience$.
    7. Here is a sample post:

In Search Of My PrPrPr&#$275$;-$cious$

I’m relatively new to the PrPrPr&#$275$; $scene$, $having$ $just$ $become$ $actively$ $interested$ $in$ $it$ $and$ $joining$ $the$ $forum$ $about$ $a$ $week$ $ago$.

I knew about it, and how it was being touted as yet another “I Phone killer” but hadn’t yet been struck with PrPrPr&#$275$;$mania$ $until$ $seeing$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $YouTube$ $Pr$&#$275$; $videos$ $posted$ $by$ $the$ $Invisible$ $Man$.

All of a sudden, my right index finger began to twitch – that familiar signal my body always gives me to alert me that there’s something I want really bad. The last time it happened, was the first time I saw my wife!

Somehow, June 6 arrived and I was able to maintain composure and spend the entire day at home, relaxing with my wife.

Sunday morning, however, I awoke extremely early. Okay, 9 o’clock IS extremely early for us on a weekend. Anyway, I awoke feeling like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings - in need of my PrPrPr&#$275$;-$cious$. $The$ $day$ $before$ $I$ $had$ $called$ $to$ $verify$ $the$ $hours$ $of$ $the$ $Sprint$ $store$ $for$ $a$ $Sunday$, $yet$ $I$ $found$ $myself$ $double$, $even$ $triple$ $checking$ $to$ $make$ $sure$ $I$$d$ $get$ $there$ $before$ $the$ $last$ $Pr$&#$275$; $was$ $taken$. $The$ $store$ $would$ $open$ $at$ $1$ $PM$.

As I waited for my wife to get ready, I tried not to appear too agitated, as it was already 12:45. I gave her a pleasant smile as she went through her usual routine, thinking to myself “clothes are an unnecessary formality, just put on some shoes and let’s go!”

Finally, we arrived at the store and by some great act of Divine Providence which I’m sure I don’t deserve - they still had some PrPrPr&#$275$;$s$ $in$ $stock$! $It$ $would$ $have$ $been$ $a$ $quick$ $process$ $too$, $had$ $it$ $not$ $been$ $for$ $a$ $system$ $crash$ $approximately$ $one$ $minute$ $into$ $making$ $the$ $necessary$ $changes$ $in$ $the$ $Sprint$ $system$.

So, twenty minutes passed before we were able to begin again. In that meantime, I had more time to play with the display model.

We did the initial setup and I opted for the Sprint rep not to transfer my contacts and etc as in anticipation of the change, I had already moved all of my contacts to my Gmail account knowing that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $would$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $automatically$ $pull$ $them$ $from$ $there$.

So I was out the door with my mistress, um, I mean my new phone.

The first thing my wife asked of me upon leaving the store was to take a picture of her with my new phone. I took it, we looked at it, and were both amazed! The clarity of the picture was astounding, as good as our digital camera.

Maybe it was because it was an exceptionally bright and sunny day, but I’m thinking that it has a lot to do with the special image enhancing software the PrPrPr&#$275$; $supposedly$ $has$ $working$ $behind$ $the$ $camera$. $After$ $all$, $the$ $camera$ $is$ $a$ $3$ $megapixel$ $camera$, $but$ $the$ $pictures$ $look$ $more$ $like$ $8$!

Since yesterday, I haven’t had a lot of time to play with her, I mean it, you know – the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $I$ $resisted$ $the$ $urge$ $to$ $lock$ $myself$ $in$ $a$ $room$ $with$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $and$ $discover$ $all$ $her$ $secrets$$and$ $spent$ $a$ $nice$ $and$ $productive$ $Sunday$ $afternoon$ $with$ $my$ $wife$ $and$ $friends$.

So, as I venture forth with PrPrPr&#$275$; $in$ $palm$, $I$$ll$ $be$ $adding$ $more$ $about$ $my$ $experiences$.

Until then – keep PrPrPr&#$275$;-$ing$….
    I’m relatively new to the PrPrPr&#$275$; $scene$, $having$ $just$ $become$ $actively$ $interested$ $in$ $it$ $and$ $joining$ $the$ $forum$ $about$ $a$ $week$ $ago$.

I knew about it, and how it was being touted as yet another “I Phone killer” but hadn’t yet been struck with PrPrPr&#$275$;$mania$ $until$ $seeing$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $YouTube$ $Pr$&#$275$; $videos$ $posted$ $by$ $the$ $Invisible$ $Man$.

All of a sudden, my right index finger began to twitch – that familiar signal my body always gives me to alert me that there’s something I want really bad. The last time it happened, was the first time I saw my wife!

Somehow, June 6 arrived and I was able to maintain composure and spend the entire day at home, relaxing with my wife.

Sunday morning, however, I awoke extremely early. Okay, 9 o’clock IS extremely early for us on a weekend. Anyway, I awoke feeling like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings - in need of my PrPrPr&#$275$;-$cious$. $The$ $day$ $before$ $I$ $had$ $called$ $to$ $verify$ $the$ $hours$ $of$ $the$ $Sprint$ $store$ $for$ $a$ $Sunday$, $yet$ $I$ $found$ $myself$ $double$, $even$ $triple$ $checking$ $to$ $make$ $sure$ $I$&#$8217$;$d$ $get$ $there$ $before$ $the$ $last$ $Pr$&#$275$; $was$ $taken$. $The$ $store$ $would$ $open$ $at$ $1$ $PM$.

As I waited for my wife to get ready, I tried not to appear too agitated, as it was already 12:45. I gave her a pleasant smile as she went through her usual routine, thinking to myself “clothes are an unnecessary formality, just put on some shoes and let’s go!”

Finally, we arrived at the store and by some great act of Divine Providence which I’m sure I don’t deserve - they still had some PrPrPr&#$275$;$s$ $in$ $stock$! $It$ $would$ $have$ $been$ $a$ $quick$ $process$ $too$, $had$ $it$ $not$ $been$ $for$ $a$ $system$ $crash$ $approximately$ $one$ $minute$ $into$ $making$ $the$ $necessary$ $changes$ $in$ $the$ $Sprint$ $system$.

So, twenty minutes passed before we were able to begin again. In that meantime, I had more time to play with the display model.

We did the initial setup and I opted for the Sprint rep not to transfer my contacts and etc as in anticipation of the change, I had already moved all of my contacts to my Gmail account knowing that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $would$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $automatically$ $pull$ $them$ $from$ $there$.

So I was out the door with my mistress, um, I mean my new phone.

The first thing my wife asked of me upon leaving the store was to take a picture of her with my new phone. I took it, we looked at it, and were both amazed! The clarity of the picture was astounding, as good as our digital camera.

Maybe it was because it was an exceptionally bright and sunny day, but I’m thinking that it has a lot to do with the special image enhancing software the PrPrPr&#$275$; $supposedly$ $has$ $working$ $behind$ $the$ $camera$. $After$ $all$, $the$ $camera$ $is$ $a$ $3$ $megapixel$ $camera$, $but$ $the$ $pictures$ $look$ $more$ $like$ $8$!

Since yesterday, I haven’t had a lot of time to play with her, I mean it, you know – the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $I$ $resisted$ $the$ $urge$ $to$ $lock$ $myself$ $in$ $a$ $room$ $with$ $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $and$ $discover$ $all$ $her$ $secrets$ &#$8211$; $and$ $spent$ $a$ $nice$ $and$ $productive$ $Sunday$ $afternoon$ $with$ $my$ $wife$ $and$ $friends$.

So, as I venture forth with PrPrPr&#$275$; $in$ $palm$, $I$&#$8217$;$ll$ $be$ $adding$ $more$ $about$ $my$ $experiences$.

Until then – keep PrPrPr&#$275$;-$ing$&#$8230$;
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 06/08/2009 at 01:07 PM.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast