Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    So I am pretty set on buying the Palm Pre close to launch, but I'm concerned about a few things, mainly the battery. All the people who bought the first release of the iPhone were pretty pissed when the iPhone 3G came out and they had to spent a few hundred for a pretty simple upgrade. I'm sure Palm will be providing lots of bug fixes in their over-the-air upgrades or whatever, but something like the battery, isn't that something that can only be fixed with new hardware? So then if I spend $200 now and then in 3 months they come out with a better version with a better battery I'll have to spend another hundred or two if I want it to work better? Or maybe I'll wait for Pre 2.0 and hope for a similar retention deal.

(Of course, the review says that the battery life is related to a programming bug that will be fixed -- Toccer does drain my Treo battery pretty good -- so I guess I could be wrong about all of this)

But is anyone else thinking about whether we should wait for a second release?
    They could make a more powerful battery for the Pre (I think, correct me if I am wrong). A good example of this is the PSP. Sony ended up making a larger battery that you could buy.

If I can get a solid day of battery with the pre (I use my phone a lot), I will be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by suadeo View Post
    They could make a more powerful battery for the Pre (I think, correct me if I am wrong). A good example of this is the PSP. Sony ended up making a larger battery that you could buy.

If I can get a solid day of battery with the pre (I use my phone a lot), I will be happy.
    Same. I'd be happy with a day. It sounds like power management on the phone needs to be tweaked and seidio needs to come out with a nice fatty extended battery
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    If you think like this, you'll never buy anything. It's saying I'm waiting for the iPhone to be on Verizon or Sprint. It's not happening anytime soon, if at all.
    I would rest assured that a newer version is not going to come out in 3 or even 6 months with a better battery. I plan on buying a Seidio one when they have them available (usually offering a 10-15% bump). Has Palm - or anyone - EVER brought out a newer hardware version in less than 12 months that had greatly improved battery life? I can't remember anything other than the Q9c having a larger, hump-back battery. If the battery improves, it will be w/software related or hack related.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    A secret that might help the OP make his decision:

Don't tell anybody.
    There will definitely be a better Pre at some point in the near future.

There will also be a better iPhone, Android phone, and Blackberry. And it'll keep happening. The only constant is change.
    I'm waiting for version 3, at which point I will retire my StarTAC.
    F you guys....I'm waiting for Palm's OS AFTER webos.

I'm so 3008....
    Quote Originally Posted by iboost79 View Post
    If you think like this, you'll never buy anything. It's saying I'm waiting for the iPhone to be on Verizon or Sprint. It's not happening anytime soon, if at all.
    +1

And trust me, there will be no new version within 3-6 mos either

Palm has spent all this $ and time into building this device, they will definitely reap the benefits for a while

Releasing a new version that soon does not make much business sense to me
    This company was/is on it's last financial legs. There WILL NOT be a production run to change the size of the phone to accomodate a better battery. Their may be a better battery option, but a reconfiguration in 3 months - NOPE!
    Some of the battery issues will hopefully be fixed through an OTA firmware update.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    There is a differeence with being pissed with the iPhone, though, in that you cannot replace the battery. The crappy iPhone battery is what you were stuck with and only an outlet could help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Has Palm - or anyone - EVER brought out a newer hardware version in less than 12 months that had greatly improved battery life? .
    Treo Pro to replace the 800w. less than 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    So I am pretty set on buying the Palm Pre close to launch, but I'm concerned about a few things, mainly the battery. All the people who bought the first release of the iPhone were pretty pissed when the iPhone 3G came out and they had to spent a few hundred for a pretty simple upgrade. I'm sure Palm will be providing lots of bug fixes in their over-the-air upgrades or whatever, but something like the battery, isn't that something that can only be fixed with new hardware? So then if I spend $200 now and then in 3 months they come out with a better version with a better battery I'll have to spend another hundred or two if I want it to work better? Or maybe I'll wait for Pre 2.0 and hope for a similar retention deal.

(Of course, the review says that the battery life is related to a programming bug that will be fixed -- Toccer does drain my Treo battery pretty good -- so I guess I could be wrong about all of this)

This is interesting....I @'ed both Lance Ulanoff and Sacha Seagan on Twitter yesterday on their impressions of the Pre and specifically if this a "wait for 2.0" device. Both of them independently replied that quality is great and the responses about lackluster quality is in regards to the iPhone. In respects to other devices, it is above par. Also, they said that this is defiantly a "go for it" device. The few quirks it did have were no reason to overlook it. Their impressions were that this is one of the best 1.0ver devices in recent times.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrekfest View Post
    Bingo - you, sir, are a winner! Thanks.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Naw, it'll take a couple iterations to get right, so just get the Pre =]
    Well, the battery is removable, so I'm sure you'll be able to get a second one if that becomes an issue (but it sounds like the battery life is a bit better than the G1 so it can't be that bad).

As far as waiting, like someone else said, if that's your philosophy, you'll always be waiting. What Apple did sucked because the iPhone 3G really included features that should have been in the first phone. I don't feel like the Pre is really missing anything as far as hardware. The things I'd like to see are all software, which can be remedied quite easily through an OTA update.

I think you'll be quite happy with this phone and I really don't see them coming out with a second generation Pre anytime real soon. The Eos? Yeah, but that's a completely different device. Just get the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbrekfest View Post
    This frustrated me soo much. The 800w was my first time getting a smart phone and I felt like I got burned pretty bad. I've managed to tweak it to work but when Palm releases the Treo Pro months after your device it really sucks.
    I'm waiting. But not due to one-ups-manship. It's simply a cash thing right now.

Since I've gotta wait another 10 months to get a full upgrade credit and contract reset, I can at least feel good about knowing that there should be a new or at least mildly improved Pre out by then.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Waiting sucks -- what if you get hit by a bus the day version 2 is released?
    Get it now! I have no doubt that it will keep improving as new firmware and new apps come along.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast