Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    are you saying that you can't buy a pair of glasses, if your blind your blind doesn't mean what age you are.
    The OP is speaking of presbyopia, which affects everyone. This is from Wikipedia: Presbyopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Presbyopia (Greek word "presbys" (πρέσβυς), meaning "old man" or "elder", with Latin root "-opia", meaning "eye"[1]) describes the condition where the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus on near objects with age. Presbyopia's exact mechanisms are not known with certainty, however, the research evidence most strongly supports a loss of elasticity of the crystalline lens, although changes in the lens's curvature from continual growth and loss of power of the ciliary muscles (the muscles that bend and straighten the lens) have also been postulated as its cause.

Similar to grey hair and wrinkles, presbyopia is a symptom caused by the natural course of aging; the direct translation of the condition's name is "elder eye"[1]. The first symptoms (described below) are usually first noticed between the ages of 40-50. The ability to focus on near objects declines throughout life, from an accommodation of about 20 dioptres (ability to focus at 50 mm away) in a child to 10 dioptres at 25 (100 mm) and leveling off at 0.5 to 1 dioptre at age 60 (ability to focus down to 1-2 meters only).
    Procedures such as LASIK do not correct this problem. However, there are some other procedures that do. I believe one uses radio waves (microwaves?) to shrink the muscles.

2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    The OP is speaking of presbyopia, which affects everyone. This is from Wikipedia: Presbyopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Procedures such as LASIK do not correct this problem. However, there are some other procedures that do. I believe one uses radio waves (microwaves?) to shrink the muscles.

Its just normal "getting old" side effects. Better than the alternative. Atleast I still have most of my hair.
    I'm in the over-40 club at 43, had to get reading glasses in the last year. Actually started noticing that I couldn't quite read as easily about 5 years ago, procrastinated for quite some time. I'll be interested to see just how small the fonts are on the Pre, and it it'll be a problem for me. Didn't have a problem with reading on my Touch Pro, which has a smaller screen, so we'll see.

And I certainly wouldn't want to have to wear my reading glasses for the Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I wear reading glasses occasionally and when I got my 800w, I couldn't use it without wearing glasses until I found the text size function. I have it set to one step below the largest and I can read it without glasses most of the time.

It's not that convenient to carry glasses around just to use your phone. There are some apps which have really small text in them that I can hardly see with glasses. A zoom function would be helpful there but not being able to set global text size would be a deal breaker for me.
    Bell Rotary --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Palm Treo 800w
    i hate all age related comments about using technology! fonts can be adjusted or eyeware etc used. There is no need for ageism and attendant potential for discrimination!....let people try new stuff and decide in their own way if something is right for them! yes i am over 50 and don't feel that old...yes i wear glasses and yes i use all manner of gadgets! age is no reason to stop exploring new thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Atleast I still have most of my hair.
    Lucky... I starting thinning on top when I was 18.
    -Tony
    Unfortunately, the biggest limiting factor to all these new Gadgets is ONE's eyesight...

Like momma said...eat your carrots!
    Last edited by Cactusone; 06/05/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrog View Post
    i hate all age related comments about using technology! fonts can be adjusted or eyeware etc used. There is no need for ageism and attendant potential for discrimination!....let people try new stuff and decide in their own way if something is right for them! yes i am over 50 and don't feel that old...yes i wear glasses and yes i use all manner of gadgets! age is no reason to stop exploring new thing!
    Well, I don't really think one can engage in "ageism" when one is talking about oneself... I think this thread's about people whose eyesight has indeed been impacted by their age, not specifically about one's age itself.

Nothing wrong with discussing reality. The fact is that vision is impacted as one gets older, and 40 is a good average age for when such an impact begins to be felt. Same could be said about any number of physiological phenomena, not all of which really need to be specified here.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I'm over 40, but I really like the Pre. Now I need a cheese slicer as well. I want to know if I can use the Pre as cheese slicer if I can't use it as a phone. I've heard it's the best phone for slicing cheese. Can anybody tell me how it compares to the Treo Pro and Touch Pro2 when slicing cheese? I've heard the SE Xperia is pretty good at slicing cheese as well. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I'm nearly 40 and I still run 1920x1200 on a 15" laptop, so no worries here.

Eyes like an eagle I has...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Get Bausch & Lomb Multi-Focal contact lenses! I've got a high-power lens on my strong eye, and a low power lens on the weak eye. Works great for both close-up and far away viewing. I can now read the labels on those tiny aspirin bottles.

And you only need to change them once a month, after an initial ramp-up period.
    Last edited by Larson; 06/05/2009 at 05:48 PM.
    If you can read this, then your OK!

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I might be getting old, but I refuse to wear bifocals. Anyway 40 is the new 30.
    If you choose not to be able to read the screen that is a personal choice.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DogEars View Post
    I'm nearly 40 and I still run 1920x1200 on a 15" laptop, so no worries here.

Eyes like an eagle I has...
    I hear 'ya brother. Watch out though, when it changes, it goes fast. I had 20/15 vision my whole life until this past year, my 44th. Noticed the change over just a few months. I can no longer read anything that's closer than 18 inches to my face. Not really a problem yet but it's distressing to reach these lifetime milestones.

I don't think the small fonts will be a problem...for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larson View Post
    Get Bausch & Lomb Multi-Focal contact lenses! I've got a high-power lens on my strong eye, and a low power lens on the weak eye. Works great for both close-up and far away viewing. I can now read the labels on those tiny aspirin bottles.

And you only need to change them once a month, after an initial ramp-up period.
    I tried those - could NOT get used to them. Wish I could because it would certainly be a nice solution! The big problem was that I needed three powers - one for distance, one for close up, and one for computer screen distance.
    The worst part is after 40 your eyes will continue to get worse...and worse...and worse.
    I'm 52 and if I take off my 1.50 magnification reading glasses I CAN read the screen but it is not a pleasant experience. Fuzzy, but I can do it. For now.
    Still, gotta get my Pre tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    No need attacking us over 40 types....I do fine with my Centro.
    I played with the Pre today for 2 hours or so. I don't work for Sprint or have an interest in a vendor (BestBuy, etc.). But I did play with a live/connected Pre in a Best Buy store. I agree with the OP and I'm also a young guy. While on the web (CNN, MSNBC) the Pre's text is readable, but small. It would be great if you could adjust the font size and have it in a format that does NOT require you to constantly move the screen in order to read an article. Simply swipe up or down.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123