Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Aw Man! You guys are bumming me out. I'm going "deeper" into my 40s this weekend. Good thing I'm not getting the Pre as a panacea to any bad feelings I might have about getting older. So, maybe the Pre can be the first of many mid-life crisis purchases to come.

But, I don't think it will be a problem.
    I play it cool and dig all jive, that's the reason I stay alive. My motto, as I live and learn; is dig and be dug in return - Langton Hughes
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthe7th View Post
    Aw Man! You guys are bumming me out. I'm going "deeper" into my 40s this weekend. Good thing I'm not getting the Pre as a panacea to any bad feelings I might have about getting older. So, maybe the Pre can be the first of many mid-life crisis purchases to come.

But, I don't think it will be a problem.

A Pre is cheaper than buying a mustang convertible.
    Well at least its a bigger screen as compared to my Centro. So I'll see more small text.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    So back to the crashing, what were you doing that made it crash? And did the entire phone crash or just an app?
  5. DDD
    I'm 56 and "knock-on-wood" still don't need reading glasses. But, I do if I wear my contacts. I'm just wearing one contact now, mono, which lets me read and see far.
    Also Known as 3_D
    You can also get bifocal contacts.

I turn 50 next weekend and have been using reading glasses for the last couple years when wearing contacts. But I may have to go the bifocal contact route next time I get new contacts.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Well at least its a bigger screen as compared to my Centro. So I'll see more small text.
    It wasnt the screen size, it was the text size.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    So back to the crashing, what were you doing that made it crash? And did the entire phone crash or just an app?
    The whole phone crashed. I will say these were demo units handled by a couple of hundred people though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    how about one of these?

just kidding.
    /me Has memories of the 404 episode with the jitterbug; walks off laughing.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Isn't there a setting for making text bigger?
    No, not in preferences but the zoom process works across all apps. So you can make emails bigger, etc. I asked that earlier in the week - and there is a part in the UG about zoom (not font size which is what I was searching on), pg 48.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Is there a way to set the font to a larger size either globally or in specific apps?

I know that you can "zoom in" using the "pinch" gesture in text applications (Browser, Email, Memos) and in Google Maps.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Isn't there a setting for making text bigger?
    Yeah...it's the Extenz setting.

bj
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    No, not in preferences but the zoom process works across all apps. So you can make emails bigger, etc. I asked that earlier in the week - and there is a part in the UG about zoom (not font size which is what I was searching on), pg 48.
    When you do this though, you will require to scroll a lot when reading. Tap to zoom fits the area of text to page. When you zoom in when you zoom in with multitouch it doesnt. Also, I think you can only do this in the browser. I will admit I didnt try it in the calendar.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I don't know if you missed this, but can you tell us what crashed?
  15. DDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    You can also get bifocal contacts.

I turn 50 next weekend and have been using reading glasses for the last couple years when wearing contacts. But I may have to go the bifocal contact route next time I get new contacts.
    I tried several different combinations, but mono was a better fit for me. I guess because I don't need reading glasses.
    Also Known as 3_D
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    how about one of these?

just kidding.
    Lol... is that a Jitterbug?
  17.    #37  
    I don't know if you missed this, but can you tell us what crashed?
    I was in the App store once, the other time I think I was in the browser. The whole thing went dead.
    No need attacking us over 40 types. Read up on the onset of farsightedness after age 40. Near vision gets compromised.

I'm sure at some point it will be a problem for me, but for now, I do fine with my Centro (recently turned 40). Mileage will vary though. My 55+ co-worker loves his iPhone and anything smaller wouldn't work for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    When you do this though, you will require to scroll a lot when reading. Tap to zoom fits the area of text to page. When you zoom in when you zoom in with multitouch it doesnt. Also, I think you can only do this in the browser. I will admit I didnt try it in the calendar.
    Yeah this sucks for me on my iPod Touch. The much vaunted Safari browser doesn't have a font size adjustment and it doesn't work for me.

My tiny BB Flip is super for reading anything. The lack of a system wide font size adjust in the Pre is a downer for me. I definitely won't be buying one until I get to try it out. Thanks for the thread.

Oh and you guys with good eyes still, wait and SEE.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Yeah this sucks for me on my iPod Touch. The much vaunted Safari browser doesn't have a font size adjustment and it doesn't work for me.

My tiny BB Flip is super for reading anything. The lack of a system wide font size adjust in the Pre is a downer for me. I definitely won't be buying one until I get to try it out. Thanks for the thread.

Oh and you guys with good eyes still, wait and SEE.
    I am 65 and I have been using the Samsung i-325 and hope the pre is better
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast