Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    They said what they said and mainstream media across the country printed headlines Verizon To Get Palm Pre n Six Months

I'm glad Hesse corrected the record.
    They didn't say anything. The CEO said it.

"Over the next six months or so you will see devices like Palm Pre and a second generation Storm" on the Verizon Wireless network, McAdam said. "You can expect to see us launch a steady stream of new devices from multiple vendors."

Your misunderstanding is based upon your (and Mr. Hesse's) inability to distinguish between mainstream reporting and what really transpired. The oft repeated and already discussed quote (hopefully accurate) should do it for both of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    "Like the Palm Pre" is not THE Palm Pre. Pretty apparent to me. Hesse says they should check their facts. He should check what they really said.
    This was my point from the beginning. I think Dan was just trying to stem the bloggers from passing on crappy info.

Verizon knew what they were doing when they said that they would have a Pre-like phone in 6 months. They knew that it would be reported as they would actually have the Pre in 6 months.

It makes complete sense to come out and squash that rumor.

Some examples:

Smart Brief

CNET

Even PreCentral.net

Precentral.net Again
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/05/2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

It makes complete sense to come out and squash that rumor.
    Agreed. But he should be blaming the media (they didn't get their facts straight), not McAdam.
    For sure, Verizon is trying to steal the hype and save those few that would switch from big red to sprint.
    Well if anything 6/6/09 to 12/6/09 is exactly 6 months. So maybe their contract ends at the end of the year, which is more than 6 months.
    He just said "it's not six months"... unless he says "it's not just six months", then the title of the article is not accurate.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Agreed. But he should be blaming the media (they didn't get their facts straight), not McAdam.
    If you think Verizon didn't mean for their words to be taken out of context, you are mistaken.
    verizon who??
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    If you think Verizon didn't mean for their words to be taken out of context, you are mistaken.
    Even conceding the possibility of that point doesn't excuse the poor reporting, and the fact that so many want to believe the headline instead of the actual quote.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    it's probably been said, but 6 months wouldn't get them through Christmas. They're not that stupid. Maybe they have a deal that is based on units sold and not time. If I were Sprint, that's what I'd do. See if Palm will commit to an optimistic forecast.
    Those very important last two words are also important Verizon's effort to obscure the facts as they try to undermine Sprint's success and stem the outflow of their subscribers.

I am planning to port over from Verizon soon soon. My only fear is that the pre will follow the pattern of the treo 600 to 650. Where the first edition is soon followed by a much improved second. Although given what the pre seems to be I highly doubt it.
    It is very possible no one knows when the exclusivity ends as there very well could be conditional terms which extend the agreement assuming certain goals are met.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Lol. What is this...Bizarro World? Verizon are infamous device cripplers, not enhancers. Their version of the Pre would probably have 4GB, no WiFi, an underclocked processor, and red vomited all over the interface.

Oh, and don't forget VZ Navigator! (no matter how hard you will try, you will NOT forget it... )
    No kidding. It took Verizon how long to unlock the GPS on their blackberries? And by unlock I mean, only able to work with BBerry Maps while still being disabled for 3rd party applications... ugh
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Let's hope it is for Palm altogether. I mean the WebOs is what makes this phone. If verizon for example had Palm put together better hardware with WebOs then sprint is back to sucking it again.
    I did notice that the question posed to Mr. Hesse was "Verizon and AT&T have both said that they will be coming out with their own version of the Pre in six months..."

Mr Hesse said "That statement is incorrect. I don't know what they said, but it is definitely not that"

He wasn't missunderstanding what Verizon and ATT said, he was responding to the prevelant rumor on the internet.

You guys are making it out to be that he is calling Verizon CEO out, and he didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    He just said "it's not six months"... unless he says "it's not just six months", then the title of the article is not accurate.
    The exclusive is till the end of the year, so I guess yes, it's incrementally longer than 6 months. Sprint is really trying to spin this to get people to defect and buy now and not wait. Sprint has said before their exclusive is at least all of 2009, so this is consistent with that statement.

They were supposed to have launched back in May, but delayed it for "quality reasons", so if that had happened it would have been longer than 6 months.

But in any case, in January you'll almost certainly be able to get teh Pre on VZ and AT&T.

Hesse should be really careful with this sort of thing. Sprint is a publically traded corporation and he could get into a lot of trouble with the SEC for making maetrially wrong statements.
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    verizon who??
    A lot of people on the Sprint network talk like that into their phones. What? Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon
    It is very possible no one knows when the exclusivity ends as there very well could be conditional terms which extend the agreement assuming certain goals are met.
    The exclusivity arrangement has to be tied to dates, not a sliding timeframe dependent upon whenever Sprint finally decides to put the phone out into the marketplace. It's to Palm's advantage that they aren't indefinitely locked in to an exclusive carrier. It's clear, since the CES announcement, both Palm and Sprint were both confident they could complete their respective activities in time for a 30 June launch. So that date would have been set as the exclusivity start time. An early release of the phone (prior to 30 June) would be to Sprint's advantage as they would get additional days of exclusivity.

The Verizon CEO comments about 'the next 6 months or so" are certainly designed to bolster his existing customer base's desire to stay with Verizon. "Six months, or so" is pretty much the same as 6 months plus 24 days so MacAdam's comment has some wiggle room.

As does Hesse's comment that that Verizon will not have the Pre within 6 months. As a minimum, he knows it will be at least 6 months and 24 days.

It's all a part of the big game. Both gentlemen are playing it very well. Verizon will probably be able to officially announce their Pre date once the Sprint exclusivity period begins (i.e. 1 July). It just wasn't in MacAdam's best interests to allow Sprint 24 days head start over the announcement.

This is much better than any (supposed) "reality" TV.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12