Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering what people think are show-stoppers as far as getting a Pre. For me:

- No voicedial. I use this all the time on my Centro in the car. Hopefully, there will be a 3rd-party app soon.

- No tethering. Also hoping for PDAnet for Pre

- Music player that handles .flac files. Coreplayer in Classic might be OK for now.

- datebk. Need to see if built-in calendar has enough features to not need datebk (floating appointments, templates, filters, links to contacts, etc)

- Sprint. Looks like the Pre will probably be coming to Verizon just around when I'm up for a 2-year upgrade. I have a family plan, so I can't just move one line to Sprint, even if I wanted to.

Others?
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    300 people in line in front of me.
    I know i would probably get crap for saying this... what apple is going to announce monday.

iPhone will have tethering for sure.

if they bring video chat to the iphone, im sold.
    Nothing.

Also, this thread and topic has been done to death! However, Voicedialling and tethering can be done easy enough. As for Sprint, that's a + for me. If it was on AT&T or T-Mobile I would probably pass.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    .... people not using the search option in the forums

seriously how many more of these need to be created?
  6. joelpalm
    Payday
    There will be no video chat. Guaranteed. That would bring ATT's network to its knees. Like happens now anytime more than 10 iphones are downloading the latest Ifart app in the same room.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    There will be no video chat. Guaranteed. That would bring ATT's network to its knees. Like happens now anytime more than 10 iphones are downloading the latest Ifart app in the same room.
    heard of wifi?
    Quote Originally Posted by em.eggers View Post
    I know i would probably get crap for saying this... what apple is going to announce monday.

iPhone will have tethering for sure.

if they bring video chat to the iphone, im sold.
    im pretty sure the new iphone will be bigger in size, have video recording and a better camera, a compass and some inner workings and thats it.

until the iphone goes to verizon, im staying away form At&t.... a iPod touch does EVERYTHING a iphone does, so I can 2 of both worlds... a Pre and ipod touch
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessh2036 View Post
    im pretty sure the new iphone will be bigger in size, have video recording and a better camera, a compass and some inner workings and thats it.

until the iphone goes to verizon, im staying away form At&t.... a iPod touch does EVERYTHING a iphone does, so I can 2 of both worlds... a Pre and ipod touch
    they need to add a camera to the ipod touch
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    300 people in line in front of me.
    Amen to that brother...
    webos on iphone, um... probably not still
    Quote Originally Posted by coney27 View Post
    seriously how many more of these need to be created?
    One more than the "Official Region" threads? The Pre hype is definitely off the charts.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart View Post
    - No voicedial. I use this all the time on my Centro in the car. Hopefully, there will be a 3rd-party app soon.
    Don't care ... Besides I mumble..

- No tethering. Also hoping for PDAnet for Pre
    One of my clients pays for a PCMCIA 3g data card. Why would I care.

- Music player that handles .flac files. Coreplayer in Classic might be OK for now.
    It's a tiny device. 8g ram. Who cares .flac -- too little RAM. Use .ogg if it bothers you that much.. Get an iPod..

To answer your question -- nothing will stop me.
    Act of God.
  16. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart View Post
    I still don't understand this one. FLAC is a great format, but does it really make sense on a device with a mediocre DAC through poor to medium quality headphones on a device with such limited memory?

The answer is No.

256kb/s MP3's should be more than adequate for this purpose.
    If I should unfortunately, meet my maker.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    If there is some inkling of an inability in either the palm camp or sprint camp to quickly patch in those services which were left out due to time restraints. I'm not so sure how things will work with the WebOS in this regard, but with WinMo, if you had a problem, chances are you could go online and find a variant that solved it rather quickly (depending on your device).

The Pre probably won't lend itself to variants of course (although, I'm assuming it will be 'jail broken' like the iphone), but as long as there is constant developer support (and really, there is no reason there shouldn't be) then this should be pretty sweet.

I just don't want to have to deal with 10 or 15 niggling things that everyone knows are wrong or lacking with the device for months only to learn that Palm or Sprint wont release updates to fix them until the pre 2 is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I still don't understand this one. FLAC is a great format, but does it really make sense on a device with a mediocre DAC through poor to medium quality headphones on a device with such limited memory?

The answer is No.

I'm sure others won't agree, but I would like to see ALAC support and more storage, but one is much easier than the other to implement.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post

The answer is No.

Precisely what I was thinking. In my opinon I don't think FLAC is worthwhile on ANY portable mp3 player. A well encoded mp3 using VBR lame should be more than enough. Personally I transcode my mp3's down to 128 bitrate to save space. I'm using a pair of $30 headphones on a cell phone for crying out loud, so I doubt I'll notice! Save the flacs for listening to music on a thousand(s) dollar speaker system.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast