Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I was wondering if the Pre will be able to access LAN shares over wifi. I'd love to be able to access music, pictures, or documents from my computer over the wireless network.

Any idea if that would be possible on the Pre?
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    that's a damn good question. I doubt it will but that'd be nice
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    That's actually a good question.. I'd like to know too, because we have a home server and I could put all my music on there :O
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Exactly! If you could stream your media, access your documents, or even print on a shared printer, that would be outstanding.

If it's not possible out of the box, perhaps that'd be a future implementation.
    put it all on an ftp server?
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    put it all on an ftp server?
    I guess that would work if you wanted to download the files, but I'm not sure if you would be able to stream them over FTP.
    Doesn't it just stream mp3 files off the net anyways? That's a really darn good idea - using an ftp server you could host up all your media, then just play them over the net whenever you wanted.

Maybe not for hours of music, but at least for a couple of choice songs throughout the day I could definitely see myself putting that to use...
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Actually, if there is Orb support, then streaming media should be much easier. You'll obviously need to have decent upload speed on your computer, though. Shouldn't be too bad for streaming pictures of MP3s, but videos could be a problem, depending on your home Internet connection.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    Actually, if there is Orb support, then streaming media should be much easier. You'll obviously need to have decent upload speed on your computer, though. Shouldn't be too bad for streaming pictures of MP3s, but videos could be a problem, depending on your home Internet connection.
    Orb support (via web streaming of their test files) was tested and reported in another thread as a no-go, sadly.

I would really like to see two apps developed for the Pre that would address this situation.

One is Orb, for making all of our files on our PC (and hopefully live streaming TV) available to us on our Pre's anywhere we are. I really want this to be a on-device application, not just via the browser but the digging I've done on their forum seems to indicate that they currently have no plans to develop a webOS Orb app. The other would be Resco File Explorer - this great app would solve the problem of browsing/sharing/viewing/managing files locally including those on your PC over wifi. Sadly, Resco is waiting to see what capabilities the Palm web OS SDK has that would help them achieve their standard set of features.

I'm really hopping the Pre is an at-launch success (larger potential customer base for developers) and that the full SDK is released soon and that it has the capabilities needed for developers to enable this kind of functionality.

Time will tell...
    Accessing LAN shares directly, is probably not possible as the Pre doesn't even have a file browser.

As people mentioned in the thread there are mobile streaming solutions like Orb, but if you're expecting to just punch in "\\server\share" that is not going to happen at least not for now.
    Won't have control of the music, but just run a shoutcast server and listen to your music that way.
  12. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Accessing LAN shares directly, is probably not possible as the Pre doesn't even have a file browser.
    Wouldn't necessarily need a file browser (app) to do this.

As of now you can't mount the shares, like if you have a shared network drive... you can't mount it to the Pre, and browse the contents - no SMB/AFP/etc services or a file browser on the phone yet

But it's possible the Browser might support web based directory listing for an ftp server, or web server. If so, you could share your music folder (the one on your computer) as an ftp server, and login to it from the browser... and just click the song title... the Pre will probably stream it.

If you're really clever, you could forward port 21 (ftp) in your router from external to internal, and make it public, then utilize it from outside the home.. that way if you have videos, or pictures saved there, you could get to them.. Dunno about saving from the phone - to - the ftp server... that'd require some spiffy programs

But hey! It's a Palm device, there's bound to be someone to develop something like this in the future

edit: here is some more information
    File Transfer (FTP) using a Browser

That website describes how you would login to your ftp server, from the browser.

for example: ftp://username@serverIPaddress

it *should ask for the password*. when i tested it, i got a directory based listing, from the browser.. see the attachments to this post. and windows media player did stream from the server. i was able to watch that from my network stats. even tho this is parallels that you're looking at... the ftp server is *really* running back in OS X.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 06/05/2009 at 05:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm hoping Resco will help us out here. I love my Resco Explorer!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I too hope that they release something that will mount windows file shares or stream from a FTP site. I've got my entire music collection on a server here at the house and would love to stream it to the Pre.
  15. enjoyingsilence
    working on it right now .
  16. enjoyingsilence
    I was working on this when I had my pre, however, I was unable to get the browser to accept any form of URL login for a local in house ftp server

for example ftp://username@localipaddress

it would not prompt for password. technically, the browser is capable of this, it's just not prompting for the password. When/if I get my pre replaced, I'll work on building out a website, with a few test mp3 files, and hosting it internally, either with general web code, or Quicktime Streaming Server, and testing it's streaming capabilities via the browser that way.
    I look forward to a few months from now when there will probably be an app for that haha.
    I would like to share my Pre on my network as a disk so I can use windows explorer to copy files to it without having to us the usb cable.
    Actually, if you run Windows Home Server and installed the WebGuide addin or have Vista MCE and WebGuide, you can just brows to the music or video page in WebGuide and stream from there. I will try this and let ya know.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Also, Windows Home Server will let ya browse a web page of your music and download what ya want.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast