1.    #1  
    I have a year left on my current contract. I'm not a premier member since I'm on the SERO plan and have been a customer for 9 years.
    So, I likely won't be getting any discount, but IF I were to buy the phone at full price do I still have to enter into a new 2 year contract? Based on what I've read this sounds like a possibility, which is total bs if they aren't subsidizing the phone.

It would actually be cheaper for me to break my contract and go get an iPhone with AT&T! Can somebody explain to me how this is good business?
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    I don't think so. If you were to buy a phone off ebay, you could do an online swap, and it wouldn't exted your account.
    If you pay full price you are not obligated for a 1 yr or 2 yr contract. I am 100% sure of this fact.
    1) You would have to switch to an Everything plan to use the Pre
    2) Are you currently in a contract? If so, if you are over 12 months, you would get a $75 rebate. If you are over 22 months, you would get a $150 rebate.
    3) You only have to sign a contract if you wish to have your phone subsidized - otherwise your contract status is unchanged
    Quote Originally Posted by jsturtz View Post
    I have a year left on my current contract. I'm not a premier member since I'm on the SERO plan and have been a customer for 9 years.
    So, I likely won't be getting any discount, but IF I were to buy the phone at full price do I still have to enter into a new 2 year contract? Based on what I've read this sounds like a possibility, which is total bs if they aren't subsidizing the phone.

It would actually be cheaper for me to break my contract and go get an iPhone with AT&T! Can somebody explain to me how this is good business?
    I have been having this argument with Sprint all day. The best they can offer me is $475. I have even offered to pay the 200.00 termination fee and just then let me sign up for another 2 year contract. One that I get the Pre for 199.00 after rebate. They said no. so I can break my contract and get a iPhone cheaper than staying and getting the pre. They seem to be ok with this...I am amazed..

When I point this out to "them", on the phone then they start "running" the numbers of what it will cost me over the next two years if I am a iPhone customer. Irritation with customer service will cause me to extend a appendage to them and move on.

What these *HELPFUL* people on the phone don't seem to understand is that I am about fed up with the attitude "I can help" but then they say that they can offer my $475. WOW lots of help - I can walk in on Saturday and get that deal. I am thinking I will just buy the d*mn thing outright and put it on my current plan with no contract...that way I can walk away after December (when my 24 months is done) if I want to. (other carriers might have it by then or shortly after that time)

Oh and I thought about just adding another line on to my account and then swapping the numbers (I want to keep my old number - I have had it for over 8 years) - they said that I have to keep the Pre with the number they assign for 90 days, then when I switch numbers the contract switches with the number. So if I were to do that that, the contract would switch back to my "old" phone but have the number number. They say you can't switch phone numbers like that, cause it's what the contract is keyed on. But they will assign you a new number if you ask to get a new "random" one. Using a number that was on the account previoiusly is not allows - STUPID.

It blows my mind that the would be the case, i can't even buy my way out of my contract. Amazing.
    We wants it, we needs it. Must have the PREcious.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I think you mean "an" appendage
    You won't be able to use it on another network, so that plan doesn't sound prudent. Also, if you haven't already, ask to speak with a higher-tier customer service representative...they usually know how to do many things.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbloom164 View Post
    I have been having this argument with Sprint all day. The best they can offer me is $475. I have even offered to pay the 200.00 termination fee and just then let me sign up for another 2 year contract. One that I get the Pre for 199.00 after rebate. They said no. so I can break my contract and get a iPhone cheaper than staying and getting the pre. They seem to be ok with this...I am amazed..

When I point this out to "them", on the phone then they start "running" the numbers of what it will cost me over the next two years if I am a iPhone customer. Irritation with customer service will cause me to extend a appendage to them and move on.

What these *HELPFUL* people on the phone don't seem to understand is that I am about fed up with the attitude "I can help" but then they say that they can offer my $475. WOW lots of help - I can walk in on Saturday and get that deal. I am thinking I will just buy the d*mn thing outright and put it on my current plan with no contract...that way I can walk away after December (when my 24 months is done) if I want to. (other carriers might have it by then or shortly after that time)

Oh and I thought about just adding another line on to my account and then swapping the numbers (I want to keep my old number - I have had it for over 8 years) - they said that I have to keep the Pre with the number they assign for 90 days, then when I switch numbers the contract switches with the number. So if I were to do that that, the contract would switch back to my "old" phone but have the number number. They say you can't switch phone numbers like that, cause it's what the contract is keyed on. But they will assign you a new number if you ask to get a new "random" one. Using a number that was on the account previoiusly is not allows - STUPID.

It blows my mind that the would be the case, i can't even buy my way out of my contract. Amazing.
    I posted this is another thread, but I thought I would add it here to give you an idea of what you are up against in trying to get any more than 75 off ...

Yeah, I wouldn't hold out much hope for any sort of lower pricing anytime soon in this situation (at least not until the phones start selling like hot-cakes and are eventually stocked fully, or until they start tanking and need a lower price point to move them). Here is why I say this...

I have been with Sprint since the end of Feb/beginning of March of 08, and I have an LG muziq. That model phone was already about 8 months old when I bought it, and it was by no means a smart-phone (or even near smart-phone)…so I got it for pretty cheap (which is fine considering all I wanted to do was make calls with it).

Now, I have a 39.99 plan, and I NEVER send text messages/browse the web/etc....so Sprint always gets a 45 dollar payment from me with taxes included. Also, I am not a "contract jumper" as it were, and I have only owned three cell-phones in eight years. The only reason I dumped my old green-screen first cell phone was because I was told by AT&T that it would no longer work on their network due to some band issue or some such thing, and the only reason I dumped my second cell phone and AT&T was because they hassled me about a mandatory one-year contract extension for wanting to change the name of the person paying for my service (even though I was actually paying it to begin with).

Having followed the pre hub-bub, I decided that the Pre brought enough features to the table that perhaps it was time for me to get a phone for reasons other than simply making calls with it (cough cough, Sprint navigation, web-browsing, cough)

With this in mind, I wanted to use my one-year eligible upgrade in conjunction with the rebates on the Pre. I read this site, and others, and realized that there was no way I was going to get near 200 dollars as a price point given my circumstances. However, I thought perhaps I could get the Pre price lowered a few hundred bucks if I made a case to Sprint about how they would make a boat load of money off of me in the long term if they would cut me a price break right now.

Talking with a Sprint rep, I actually broke down the numbers….I told him that in order to fulfill a full 24 months, I am going to end up paying them another 405 dollars (9 months of 45 a month) before my contract is up.

However, if they are willing to cut me a break on the Pre pricing, I would be willing to pay up to 350 for the Pre (given that accessories and activation and all of that would come into play and make the total well over 400). This would also result in me moving up to their 69.99 everything data plan, as well as getting insurance on the Pre. If I have been given the correct numbers for taxes and phone insurance rates, let's assume I would be paying them 80 dollars a month.

Now, if we add that extra 40 a month for the next 9 months (my current full contract), they would be making an extra 360 dollars off of me right there.

However, I am happy to sign up for either a new two year contract starting the 6th, or even a 2 year contract tacked on to my existing 9 months (essentially, almost a 3 year contract).

If they gave me a new 2 year starting Saturday 6th, over the next two years I would end up giving them 1920 dollars for the contract, as well as 350 for the phone. This means I am willing to give them 2270 over two years for the phone/contract combo.

Or, if they would allow an extension on top of my current 9 months, I would end up giving them an extra 40 a month for 9 months (which equals 405 dollars more), as well as 1920 for the contract time after that, as well as 350 for the Pre itself. Adding all of this together...Sprint would get 2675 from me over the course of the next 33 months.

Now, I understand that a chunk of change was taken off of my Muziq precisely because I was agreeing to a 2-year contract with Sprint. I also understand that Sprint is in this to make money, and so I am not casting them as evil for not being willing to work with me on this.

However, what I am saying is that I think we can see how strict they are going to be (at least for now) on the Pre pricing, given that I can't manage to get 200 dollars off of a phone in exchange for guaranteeing them anywhere from 2270 to 2675 over the next 33 months, as opposed to 405 dollars over the next 9 months
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RenardRouge View Post
    1) You would have to switch to an Everything plan to use the Pre
    2) Are you currently in a contract? If so, if you are over 12 months, you would get a $75 rebate. If you are over 22 months, you would get a $150 rebate.
    3) You only have to sign a contract if you wish to have your phone subsidized - otherwise your contract status is unchanged
    Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Does the $75 rebate count as a subsidy?