Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I'm going to try to keep this as simple as possible and see what some of you think.

I currently have two lines with Sprint. One of them is due for the 2 year upgrade now. I plan on going using it for the Palm Pre, then switching the ESN to the other number, as that is the phone I actually use.

I spoke to a Sprint Rep and he tried to tell me that this was fraud. I argued with him for a bit because the whole purpose of the upgrade is for Sprint to give me a discount if I renew my two year contract. I will be doing that, I will be keeping the phone, I will be keeping the phone on the same account, so the end result is the same.

After that conversation kinda pissed me off, I called Sprint Customer Service and explained the situation to them. The woman checked with 3 different supervisor's and said that it would not be fraud. However, if I didn't keep the Palm Pre on the line I upgraded, then I wouldn't get the $100 mail-in-rebate. But beyond that, there would be no further penalty. She said there was an outside chance that my line could get audited, and if that happened, then I would get charged for the full price of the phone. She did say that she, and her supervisor's have never seen that happen.

End result, I know that you can do this on Verizon and At&t all without any penalty at all. What would you all do. Personally, I think i'm just gonna do it and lose the mail-in-rebate option. I'm a little afraid of getting audited, but I just think the whole thing is crap. For Sprint to give you the money off, they want you to sign up for a new 2 year agreement. I'm giving them that. So why should there be any more to it.

Thoughts? Or anyone else doing the same thing?
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Quit worrying and letting people know what you are going to do. Just do it.
    I've done that a million times. It's not fraud by any stretch as they have the new line locked in for 2 years regardless of whether you use a Samsung Crapola DX or a Palm Pre. Bottom line: it doesn't matter. Just be careful if you buy from Radio Shack or a third party retailer that is not Sprint corporate. They have their own different and separate clauses for swapping the new phone to a different line and may penalize you dearly since Sprint shortchanges their commission quite a bit when a customer does that.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I want to, but the idea of seeing the full retail price of the phone show up on my bill scares the crap out of me. I can deal with paying $300
    Should change my plan to a data plan before I get to Sprint? I don't want to lose some of my freebies I got from retention. I got free Pick 3, 60 free bonus minutes and free nights starting at 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    I want to, but the idea of seeing the full retail price of the phone show up on my bill scares the crap out of me. I can deal with paying $300
    If you pay full price, aren't you on month to month then automatically?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If you pay full price, aren't you on month to month then automatically?
    No. What I'm referring to is what the Sprint Rep said could happen. If they were to audit my account and see that I switched the ESN's within the first 30 days, then they could charge me on my next bill the balance of the full retail price.

Again, the rep said she'd never seen that happen, but it's technically possible.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Buy it, then go into the store Monday with the person on the new Pre line and say that they don't like and you want to trade phones or you are going to return the Pre and switch to Verizon. I wonder what they will say.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Buy it, then go into the store Monday with the person on the new Pre line and say that they don't like and you want to trade phones or you are going to return the Pre and switch to Verizon. I wonder what they will say.
    Oh, I'm not worried about doing the ESN Swap. That's easy enough to do online. It really is the chargeback that I'm thinking about.

The sad part is, I am eligible for my 1 year on July 1st and it would be legit for $350 with my 1 year upgrade at Best Buy. The impatience is just killing me. I got a chance to play with it and it's everything and then some. I couldn't find that alarm clock to save my life though.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Oh, I'm not worried about doing the ESN Swap. That's easy enough to do online. It really is the chargeback that I'm thinking about.

The sad part is, I am eligible for my 1 year on July 1st and it would be legit for $350 with my 1 year upgrade at Best Buy. The impatience is just killing me. I got a chance to play with it and it's everything and then some. I couldn't find that alarm clock to save my life though.

Im saying that they would probably be happy to notate your account and authorize the change and guarantee full credit and rebate to keep you from leaving for Verizon.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    You'll lose the mail in rebate if you move the phone from one line to another.
    i have to buy it on the premier line and switch it to my line (which should be the premier line since i'm the one who opened the account 8 years ago but they **** up when they renewed our contracts). they said it was okay to do that but you lose the mail in rebate. i explained that it wasn't my fault and i shouldn't be penalized for their mistake. they finally agreed to pay the rebate - they even gave me a reference number so i can call in and they'll give me the rebate asap as a credit on my line. two hours on the phone and standing your ground will get you far with sprint, otherwise they'll walk all over you.

and i don't think they'll charge you back. i talked to a couple different reps and they said it was okay to switch phones (i was always under the impression you couldn't but what do i know). you prob won't get the mir but you'll get your pre!!!

as for your signing a new contract and thinking that should be good enough - you can renew your contract at any time. they don't give discounts for that or your could get a new phone every week! they give discounts since the last time you purchased a phone from them or an authorized retailer and if you sign a new contract.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by i.freakin.heart.palm View Post
    i have to buy it on the premier line and switch it to my line (which should be the premier line since i'm the one who opened the account 8 years ago but they **** up when they renewed our contracts). they said it was okay to do that but you lose the mail in rebate. i explained that it wasn't my fault and i shouldn't be penalized for their mistake. they finally agreed to pay the rebate - they even gave me a reference number so i can call in and they'll give me the rebate asap as a credit on my line. two hours on the phone and standing your ground will get you far with sprint, otherwise they'll walk all over you.

and i don't think they'll charge you back. i talked to a couple different reps and they said it was okay to switch phones (i was always under the impression you couldn't but what do i know). you prob won't get the mir but you'll get your pre!!!

as for your signing a new contract and thinking that should be good enough - you can renew your contract at any time. they don't give discounts for that or your could get a new phone every week! they give discounts since the last time you purchased a phone from them or an authorized retailer and if you sign a new contract.
    Oh, I know that. I'm referring to the fact that I am re-signing a 2 year contract on the line that is eligible for the full upgrade. So, they are getting what they want, but want to fight me on what I want.

I really hope you are right on it only losing the MIR. I'm really starting to think that if anything beyond that happens that I will just call and complain until they fix it.
    actually, if you can wait 30 days before you switch you won't lose the mir, since the phone only has to be activated on that line for 30 days to qualify. i'm guessing they make it 30 days because you can return the phone within 30 days if you don't want it and then you'd get a free $100!

i personally think sprint is being a little silly. why not let any line receive an upgraded phone when it's time (so if line 1 is due for an upgrade, line 3 could use the phone and but it's eligibility for an upgrade wouldn't change, just line 1's)? i pay the bill for my five lines. imho, no one deserves the upgrades on the account more than me. i should get a new phone when it's time and the others on my plan can either pay full price for new phones, buy them off ebay or use my old one!

then again in a perfect world, sprint would have a customer service department that actually provided customer service!
    I plan on doing the ESN swap myself, as I am not too worried about the MIR anyway. I've always had the price of the PRE planned at 299, so Ive known what I would be paying.

But like every else, I use two lines...My main line and a work line for when Im at home working(Due for upgrade). Line 2 I can get the PRE on so im going to, then do an ESN switch online. I see no reason Sprint can fight me with this...I pay for both lines, im upgrading my plan too, so why should they care if I switch the numbers?

In no way is it fraud, if you take away the actual numbers and just look at as Line 1 & 2, if line 2 is available this year, I should be able to use the upgrade for whatever # I want on my account. How is that any different then buying a PRE and asking for a completely new number?
    I spoke to a Sprint Rep and he tried to tell me that this was fraud. I argued with him for a bit because the whole purpose of the upgrade is for Sprint to give me a discount if I renew my two year contract. I will be doing that, I will be keeping the phone, I will be keeping the phone on the same account, so the end result is the same.
    I had had three lines on Sprint since Jan 95 and five for the last five years. I literally have done this almost every time with at least 20 upgrades and then moving the phones around.
    I have actually had sprint reps recommend swapping the phones around to use the upgrade ultimately on whatever line I wish. It is not fraud nor unethical nor a loss to sprint since they lock a contract on a line without subsidizing the phoen so subsidizing the phoen on another line not up for contract creates no loss and no fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    You'll lose the mail in rebate if you move the phone from one line to another.
    I have had Sprint simply credit me for the mail in rebate when I lost it for switching within my account. I usually wait 30 days, but if you swap esn short of 30 days you usually can get a credit for the rebate if it is rejected.