Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It just keeps getting more interesting, went to my large local corp Sprint store that i was planning on going to very early on Sat morning and spoke to the manager of the store ... asked the usual questions and to my surprise the woman told me they didn't even know now if they were going to have them Sat at all at this point. She also said they never even got a display model to show off which is a sign that also may point in the direction of them not getting them ontime ...

So i went down the street and found a smaller 3rd party Sprint location and just the opposite happen after i said there is no way with all your huge advertisment posters of the pre in here that you dont have one in the back and his response yes we will have a few and no one really comes here yet alone has asked about the pre ....hmm um by the way you wanna see how it looks wait until this customer leaves.... i was like

My quick 2 min hands on:
    The screen is amazing and almost has like this 3d effect when browsing web pages. Its so clear, and the pages load pretty quickly and come in 50x better than my centro. The pinch to zoom is nice too but is very similiar to the ipod touch/iphone in a sense its a bit laggy when zooming in and scrolling side to side
    The keyboard somewhat tacky on the keys and alot more back on the keypad (compared to the centro which are like level with the screen)
    The slider is alittle tough at first but gets better with time.
    The gesture thing is pretty cool and easy to get the hang of in 2 mins or so
    The screen rotation sensor is very cool and rotatates the picture in any direction even when the phone is upside down

The only con and maybe its not a biggie was wow did it take awhile to load from turning the thing on. The rep said it was off all day so it does take awhile but i would say it took about 2-3 mins to get to the home screen....
    A pulsating palm logo is how you can tell its loading in that time ....

All in all it seems like a solid phone in hand and very easy to use.
    Annoyed i didnt get to type on the keypad but the gf was waiting in the car.
    Also now i am in a runt my centro fell in the toilette an hour after i got to play with the Pre....
    Last edited by Impulsebuyer; 06/04/2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Yea sounds to me like your Sprint store is fail. It pains me to see how incompetent and uninformed some of the employees can be.
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Impulse... what part of ny? WNY like me?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by welance View Post
    Impulse... what part of ny? WNY like me?
    WNY? If thats somewhere near Buffalo like in your sidebar, not even close lol
    More towards NYC thats all I can reveal at this time ...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    WNY? If thats somewhere near Buffalo like in your sidebar, not even close lol
    More towards NYC thats all I can reveal at this time ...
    Lol, +1 for you funny guy.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I went to two corporate and one independent sprint stores today. both the corporate stores gave me the same line - we haven't received the phone yet and don't know what kind of stock level we're going to get. Check back Saturday morning. The independent store said they had about twenty Pres to sell on Saturday. This is in Chicago, on the north side.
  7.    #7  
    Interesting ...It felt very shady in the corp store and they didn't even have half the pre posters the 3rd party store had ... they were huge wall pictures, and displays! The corp store had a small little sign in the window, Pre Coming Soon

I wonder if some of these locations are all talking out of there backsides and really don't know until Sat if they will have them or not ... is that possible that some stores won't recieve there shipment until Sat am prior to opening?
    i think they are blowing smoke and playing dumb.
  9.    #9  
    that makes no sense unless they know they are getting in a very limited amount and do not want to advertise it for crazyness sake, store gets enough volume as it is ... most notably for having the most reps with attitudes ...
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    It felt very shady in the corp store and they didn't even have half the pre posters the 3rd party store had ... they were huge wall pictures, and displays! The corp store had a small little sign in the window, Pre Coming Soon
    The corp store I visited today was very very secretive. I was asking really really difficult questions, so I guess it was my fault that they didnt want to talk. Questions like, What time do you open on Saturday? (answer: our normal business hours are 10-9) How many Pre's did you get in? (answer: yeah right.) Do you have a display model? (Tonya Harding'd me with a club to the knee)

I gotta stop being such a busybody.

I went next door to best buy, they had one on display, a dummy phone. As I'm shaking, trying not to cry because I finally found at least a dummy phone to play with, the guy comes up to me and says "you want to hold it without the cord?" I of course professed my love for him. He opens up a brand new box and lets me hold one, slide it, etc. Wont let me turn it on, but to hold it and feel its weight in my hand was so sweet. I'm praying I can buy it at BB instead of Sprint. This guy bought some loyalty with his random act of kindness.
    I don't understand their secrecy this close to launch. It should be an easy question to answer regarding what time they are opening. Some of the stores that say 10 AM are probably still going to open at 8 ;p. Also, why not reveal the amount of Pres they have in stock unless they plan on keeping it a secret on launch day and let people waste 3+ hours in line and then say "opps we ran out, sorry". Now that is a way to lose a customer for life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Bingo.

My gut tells me that Sprint wants to be able for new Pre owners to get the individual attention they need when activating them so that they don't have a frustrated Pre owner five hours later after they get home and can't get it to do anything they want because they didn't get it set up properly, and they can't do this if there is 100 people in line for one, even if the store DOES have 100 in stock.

The two corporate stores I spoke with today were both VERY secretive/playing dumb. I did talk to one corporate store yesterday and he did let slip that they have been receiving shipments the last couple of days, with more on the way the rest of this week, yet when I asked him how many he had, he said, "oh, we just have a couple of dummy demos". lol.

The non-corporate store I've been working with has let me play with their Pre for over an hour the last couple of days. The stories that will come out Saturday should be VERY interesting.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The 3rd party store I visited (branded as sprint but part of GoMobile) had me preorder it. They said they too didn't know when any will arrive.

Interestingly, the owner said he wanted to get one for himself but was told that customers get the first batch.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Interesting ...It felt very shady in the corp store and they didn't even have half the pre posters the 3rd party store had ... they were huge wall pictures, and displays! The corp store had a small little sign in the window, Pre Coming Soon
    The Corp store that I frequent has a sign in the window, a display covered with pre paper where the phones/accessories will be, and a ~26in LCD above the display showing video of the pre doing things...mostly opening and closing IIRC.
  15. C79
    I went to Best Buy yesterday and they wouldn't tell me anything. There was a blank spot in the Sprint display and I asked if that's where the Pre was going and the girl I was talking to said she couldn't tell me where it was going to be displayed. She really seemed to be on a power trip because she had info the rest of us didn't. I kept asking questions, how many they were getting, is there a list and got nothing. I asked if there was a dummy handset and she said she couldn't confirm if they had one or not. Her manager then overheard and went into a drawer and gave me the dummy to handle.
    I then went to a Preferred Retail store and I was told they weren't getting any but they could take my info and place an order first thing Saturday morning and I would get it by Monday.
    Today I went into the store down the street, which is also a Preferred retailer and she said she was hoping to get about 7 but Sprint has been pretty vague with everything. She is going to call me tomorrow and let me know if she's getting them or not but she said that if they don't get them she'll be able to place an order for me on Saturday morning and I'll have it on Monday. She also said they just wanted to open at their regular time but sprint is forcing them to open at 8 on Saturday and she expects her Sprint Rep to be checking up to make sure they are open.
    She then got hers out and said "here, you can sit down and play with this one for awhile if you want." It was smaller than I expected but felt nice and seemed like decent quality, I didn't think it was too plasticky. The slider felt great but the keyboard is small and you really had to put some pressure on the keys to engage them. I did some typing and definitely struggled. I've never used a Centro, so I don't know how that compares. I'm currently using a Q9c, which I think has a great keyboard so it's an adjustment for me, but so was the Q when I first got it. I think I'll get used to it.
    It was a demo phone, so I guess it didn't have the final OS, but I went through the apps that were there. Responsiveness was great, the Youtube app was really nice and I liked the camera. I did some web surfing, the pages were slow to load but no slower than my Q9c. Once they loaded the scrolling and pinch zoom worked pretty well. It's my first time using a touchscreen, so I wasn't too used to it at all, but even so it was very smooth.
    I'm definitely buying two but I hope I can get them on Saturday. I'm a little afraid that my store doesn't know what they're talking about and if I don't get it Saturday and they try to order them, they will be sold out and I'll be screwed. I'm tempted to try Best Buy but I don't really want to mess with a bunch of people in line there and I would like to be loyal to my local store who let me play with one as long as I wanted to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    It amuses me to no end when dumb people attempt to play dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by welance View Post
    The corp store I visited today was very very secretive. I was asking really really difficult questions, so I guess it was my fault that they didnt want to talk. Questions like, What time do you open on Saturday? (answer: our normal business hours are 10-9) How many Pre's did you get in? (answer: yeah right.) Do you have a display model? (Tonya Harding'd me with a club to the knee)

I gotta stop being such a busybody.

I went next door to best buy, they had one on display, a dummy phone. As I'm shaking, trying not to cry because I finally found at least a dummy phone to play with, the guy comes up to me and says "you want to hold it without the cord?" I of course professed my love for him. He opens up a brand new box and lets me hold one, slide it, etc. Wont let me turn it on, but to hold it and feel its weight in my hand was so sweet. I'm praying I can buy it at BB instead of Sprint. This guy bought some loyalty with his random act of kindness.
    Best Buy in Amherst? I was there yesterday and they were secretive too and no dummy phone. I'm going there tomorrow!
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    The Sprint employees have been told that if they give out any inventory details that they could very well lose their jobs. They aren't intentionally playing dumb, they are being forced to. Sprint is even mystery shopping the employees and calling in to test them. It's all kinda messed up, but people have been fired.

Don't blame the kids, they just want to keep their jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    The Sprint employees have been told that if they give out any inventory details that they could very well lose their jobs. They aren't intentionally playing dumb, they are being forced to. Sprint is even mystery shopping the employees and calling in to test them. It's all kinda messed up, but people have been fired.

Don't blame the kids, they just want to keep their jobs.
    Well that makes sense now. But shouldn't Sprint have the employees say they aren't allowed to divulge that information rather than acting like they haven't a clue or haven't gotten any in? The current way is making it seem like either Sprint or its employees have no idea what they are doing.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcbandit View Post
    Well that makes sense now. But shouldn't Sprint have the employees say they aren't allowed to divulge that information rather than acting like they haven't a clue or haven't gotten any in? The current way is making it seem like either Sprint or its employees have no idea what they are doing.
    I don't think that any of them want to risk it. They were all told to say that they don't know anything. When being threatened with your job, wouldn't you take it literal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast