Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    One of the things that has frustrated me about the new Pre is that they've left out so many things that were standard in the old Palm OS.

Here's just a few that immediately spring to mind:
    - Being able to manage appointments across time zones (somebody just posted on this)
    - Having Tasks that repeat
    - Being able to change ringtones for message alerts, etc.
    - No categories in memos
    - No advanced calculator
    - Launcher only has 3 cards

I would have thought they would take a Treo 755p and go through feature by feature to make sure everything is in there.

Granted, this may all be forthcoming but it's still a drag to look at your old phone and realize it does more of certain things than the new Pre. Why can't the Pre be "Everything your old Palm device did AND MORE..."?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    This is my main gripe with the new OS as well! Other missing functions:

- SEARCH IN CALENDAR!!!
    - A truly Universal Search
    - Marking entries in the PIM apps private
    - Alarms for Tasks
    - Categories for Contacts
    - A professional looking Notes application
    - Lookup of phone numbers while in other PIM apps
    - No Palm Desktop!!!!

Really feel abandoned by Palm in their pursuit of younger customers after ten years of using their PDAs which really only needed a new, improved interface. Unfortunately, I'll be waiting to see what improvements they make to their PIM apps to bring them up to the standard of their old, tired PalmOS before purchasing a WebOS device of any kind.
    The old OS almost bankrupted their company. This is an almost clean break. Classic is there for all the 'cant live without it stuff'.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The old OS almost bankrupted their company. This is an almost clean break. Classic is there for all the 'cant live without it stuff'.

Whatever, most of the stuff mentioned will be in just about every OS over the next ten years. Palm ran out of time and couldn't get some bells and whistles in, end of story.

Most of the stuff listed will get added eventually it has nothing to do with Garnet being on life support 4 years past its prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Not really. Much of the stuff being talked about makes no sense without some sort of Hotsyncing ability which Classic doesn't have. The only problem mentioned that it seems to solve is the missing advanced Calculator.
    All of the things you listed do not matter to me. I'm happy they started from scratch.
    Its simple, this is a 1.0 device. All the things you want will come in time. Either from Palm or from 3rd parties.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    ... which really only needed a new, improved interface. ...
    You have no idea what that means do you? You basically need to start over or you end up with an aging platform that must be 'tricked' into doing the things modern phones do. Ever use a blackberry?

Sometimes you just need to start over. Look at OSX and how Apple took off after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamK View Post
    - Having Tasks that repeat
    - No categories in memos
    -Not tasts, but you can have repeating events in your calendar that have alarms.
    -You can set colors in memos to have 'categories'

I really disliked Palm desktop. I think syncing with a computer is something that really doesn't need to be done.. ever.

I have been using blackberries for years now and never sync it other than to back it up.
    I've never been much of a a syncer but I'd love to be able to keep downloading files, especially mp3s.

Yesterday I searched for a PalmOS mp3 player that could download, but to no avail.
    I used to sync my treo 700p to my computer once a week at the least, but then it sucked not having the same info on ALL my macs at the same time (I only had one computer that i synced with b/c i didnt feel like taking the cable everywhere i went, and blue tooth syncing took FOREVER, and i kept a compleat back-up once a week on an sd card anyway). I eventually stopped syncing it to my computer b/c i had not real need to if i didnt have the info on all my computers.Well, now with the pre i can use synergy and sync all the same info i needed on all my computers with my pre at anytime using gmail and Google calender along with all my contacts and email accounts. IMHO this is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by djdisturbed View Post
    I used to sync my treo 700p to my computer once a week at the least, but then it sucked not having the same info on ALL my macs at the same time (I only had one computer that i synced with b/c i didnt feel like taking the cable everywhere i went, and blue tooth syncing took FOREVER, and i kept a compleat back-up once a week on an sd card anyway). I eventually stopped syncing it to my computer b/c i had not real need to if i didnt have the info on all my computers.Well, now with the pre i can use synergy and sync all the same info i needed on all my computers with my pre at anytime using gmail and Google calender along with all my contacts and email accounts. IMHO this is much better.
    I moved my company to google apps at the beginning of the year. Now when we get Pres all our contacts/calendars/etc... All OTA
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    I moved my company to google apps at the beginning of the year. Now when we get Pres all our contacts/calendars/etc... All OTA
    my point EXACTLY!!!!
    the things that were mentioned were basic functions in the Palm PIM. If you are creating a new product, does it not make sense to build upon the old OS in terms of functionality and usefulness? There is quite a bit that was dumbed down in webOS. Things that are far from being bells & whistles. what do you need categories for when you can have pretty colors? It just seemed like the Apple people helped dumb down the OS to make it more iphone like and appeal to the more basic needs of the fat middle. And why should I have to rely on third party for something that was basic and included in a 13yr old OS?
    I thought palm desktop was horrible and syncing usually caused more problems than not. Now with the cloud I don't have to worry about Mac or PC. Most of the old programs weren't that great compared to what we will see in the next few months when the SDK is released.
    Having everything available OTA has nothing to do with the limitations the first two posters in this thread listed. And classic won't fix the lack of features in the calendar, the lack of categories in the launcher, contacts and calendar, the lack of private appts, etc.

My guess is there are two things going on here: Palm set out to build a consumer device, not a business one. Too many features and options make it more complicated, both to build, test and use. Simpler is better for most purchasers. And Palm had to get this thing on the market NOW. Taking the time to develop and test more features could have made the device too late to matter.

Hopefully, some of these features will be added later, but I wouldn't bet too much on it. As Palm says, if you want a sophisticated business device, go Winmob. (I don't agree with that, but it seems to be what Palm believes.)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    One of the things about task switching on the Treo/Centro is that its easy - just press and hold the Home button.
    I thought switching between apps would be a cumbersome hit Button, then scroll thru cards affair, but there is an Advanced card switching which makes it quite easy
    See this Palmaddicts video:
    PalmAddicts: Sammy gets to play with the Palm Pre
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    the things that were mentioned were basic functions in the Palm PIM. If you are creating a new product, does it not make sense to build upon the old OS in terms of functionality and usefulness?
    That's exactly the point I was trying to make. For me, the key one is recurring tasks. It's such a simple thing that I don't understand why they didn't include it. Particularly when they've included it in past versions.
    I for one will be using RTM & Evernotes for Tasks and Memos.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    the things that were mentioned were basic functions in the Palm PIM. If you are creating a new product, does it not make sense to build upon the old OS in terms of functionality and usefulness?
    It appears that by bringing in the new engineering team, much of the hard-earned knowledge of Palm's (and Handspring's) PDA and Smartphone teams was unnecessarily thrown out. They should have been starting from Square 10, but instead they're starting out from square one. This might be considered silly if it wasn't actually so unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwinn View Post
    Yesterday I searched for a PalmOS mp3 player that could download, but to no avail.
    I don't think that you could have searched this site. Try TCPMP (free version) for a start.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast