1.    #1  
    I was told by a store owner that they cannot activate Pre's until 8am. So that would mean that you cannot obtain the Pre at a 24 hour location at midnight on the 6th. Just thought I'd throw that information out there
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I was told that as well by a non-corporate store.
    Well that's a bummer... So how will this work with the midnight launches etc.. besides the Sprint stores... I mean they should be able to activate it right... :P
    ( pre-wallpapers.com ) - Over 7000+ Wallpapers for your Palm Pre... Enjoy!
    Sprint Customer Service better be on the point that day... otherwise, its gonna be a hell of complaints!
    But that means you could do it at 5 AM PDT, since the Sprint stores on the east coast would be open at 8.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Um, that makes no sense at all. So your going to tell me all of us lucky ones going to the launch parties get to buy our phones tomorrow, but can't activate them until 8am the next morning?? I don't think so
    They are activating all those pres tomorrow night at the launch parties so that cant be correct.
    Think about what the logistics behind that would have to be.

No way!
    but can i buy one at midnight?

i can wait the 8 hours to activate.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko View Post
    Um, that makes no sense at all. So your going to tell me all of us lucky ones going to the launch parties get to buy our phones tomorrow, but can't activate them until 8am the next morning?? I don't think so
    I wasn't thinking about the launch parties when I wrote that. It's probably at the retail level and not authorized launch events, etc...
    Last edited by Knee Dragger; 06/04/2009 at 10:22 PM.
    There is no spoon
    Worst cse scenario yu livewith wifi for the night. I highly doubt it though.

sprint won't let pres leave the store unactivated
    From what I understand, you can't even use the OS unless it's been provisioned OTA, so no WiFi access even if you asked the guys at a 3rd party retailer to just let you take your unit home to "mess" around with...
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    What about all the review phones they have sent out???
    Radio shack said the same thing they had a demo that I was able to handle but it was not activated so no playing with the screen...........felt alot better/nicer than the dummy Pre I handeld before.
    Quote Originally Posted by anish3232 View Post
    What about all the review phones they have sent out???
    They all were activated under a reviewer account... basically, it gets shipped with a number associated with the ESN already.
    my guess is that activations CAN happen before Sat 8am, but there is some heavy automated-scrutiny in the system and if early "non-authorized" activations show up at XYZ store, corporate will discover them and will start smacking people around. hence, a Sprint Store/Rep will get caught since it's all computerized and automated. Corporate HQ knows exactly what/when/where Pres are being activated and they have a strict retail policy on timing activations. make sense?
    If its like the Holiday season.. their activation systems might be left up and running. Last time that happened, it was done on short notice so who knows, SNAP(what sprint stores use to activate phones and etc) might be left on instead of shutting down at 9:30PM like they usually do for this launch as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    my guess is that activations CAN happen before Sat 8am, but there is some heavy automated-scrutiny in the system and if early "non-authorized" activations show up at XYZ store, corporate discover them and start smacking people around. hence, you as a Sprint Store/Rep will get caught since it's all computerized and automated. they know exactly what/when/where Pres are being activated and as of now, there's a strict retail policy. make sense?
    No wonder the manager at radioshack freaked and I mean freaked the F out when one of the reps handed me the pre and turned it on it was on the boot screen when he snatched from me took the battery cover off and removed the battery in like 2 secs. then yelled at the other guy...