Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    No, no the phone will pick it's time up for the towers. He was talking about time zones for appointments and calendar stuff. I am sure that it will probably be added in a future OS update
    That's being said an awful lot here lately. Not to give a parallel, but that's what EVERYONE was saying on the iPhone boards when the original one came out. "Don't worry, they'll add it soon. They can't afford their first device to have these features lacking..."

    Here we are, two years later.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    That's being said an awful lot here lately. Not to give a parallel, but that's what EVERYONE was saying on the iPhone boards when the original one came out. "Don't worry, they'll add it soon. They can't afford their first device to have these features lacking..."

    Here we are, two years later.
    Yeah but Apple just releases a new model to add things that the old one did not have (Don't even think about flaming).
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  3. coney27's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #23  
    Seriously is this just another waaa waaa im a cranky little kid thread?

    I really think it doesnt take that much brain power to calculate the different time zones.
  4. #24  
    Well, not exactly. iPhone 3.0 software update (available to original iPhones and iPhone 3G's, for free) will add true universal searching, A2DP bluetooth, copy/paste, and other things people two years ago deemed essential for the iPhone's survival. All I'm saying is that I'm hearing a lot of that here, and that I hope Palm releases updates frequently. Well, we over at the iPhone forums thought the exact same way, and it didn't pan out.

    Coney: No, this is a "I have to remember important things in different timezones and I'm a power user" thing. Tell me, in the span of 5 minutes on a conference call you have to put three appointments in your calendar on different timezones. You don't know the timezones by heart, but you know their name. You're going to separately look up date and time for each zone, convert it in your head, hope you don't get it wrong, and then input them? No, you add an appointment, type "Berlin" into the timezone, and it does everything automatically.
  5. coney27's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Coney: No, this is a "I have to remember important things in different timezones and I'm a power user" thing. Tell me, in the span of 5 minutes on a conference call you have to put three appointments in your calendar on different timezones. You don't know the timezones by heart, but you know their name. You're going to separately look up date and time for each zone, convert it in your head, hope you don't get it wrong, and then input them? No, you add an appointment, type "Berlin" into the timezone, and it does everything automatically.
    Yea..... if everything in life would be that simple.... we wouldnt have complainers. Jeez imagine that! I must not comprehend how important and complicated your life really is. I honestly dont see how difficult it would be to just add a time in your head.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by coney27 View Post
    Yea..... if everything in life would be that simple.... we wouldnt have complainers. Jeez imagine that! I must not comprehend how important and complicated your life really is. I honestly dont see how difficult it would be to just add a time in your head.
    Why should we even use a computing device to put our calendar in? How complicated can our lives be? Let me dust off my daily planner...

    The simple fact of technology is that it allows us to do things more easily than we could have before, or allows us to do things we couldn't do before at all. When someone has had a phone that had a feature that was useful (and saved time), they might find it disconcerting that the phone they want to switch to does not have that time saving feature. Let me guess, in the old days you walked 5 miles to school up-hill in the snow...
  7. coney27's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Why should we even use a computing device to put our calendar in? How complicated can our lives be? Let me dust off my daily planner...
    Have we human beings honestly have gotten this lazy??

    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    The simple fact of technology is that it allows us to do things more easily than we could have before, or allows us to do things we couldn't do before at all. When someone has had a phone that had a feature that was useful (and saved time), they might find it disconcerting that the phone they want to switch to does not have that time saving feature. Let me guess, in the old days you walked 5 miles to school up-hill in the snow...
    Nope.... not really. Especially being born in 1986 I had the option of being driven to school or walk less than a mile.

    Yes i did grow up the the tech boom, liek omg'?!?1 no wayz, but how difficult can it be to keep track of a freakin time zone jump mentally? Just add a hour or 12 or so and there you go! Even being born in a era where i got used to technology helping me out everywhere I still dont see how difficult it can be to do SIMPLE mental math. Jeez, if your lives are so hard, complicated, time consuming etc, maybe your in the wrong business, maybe you should just stick with a job that allows you to stay and operate in your single zone.
  8. #28  
    What's Berlin's time zone in relation to your current one? Even if you'd expect someone who conducts international business to know that, how about the following situation: What's Berlin's time zone compared to yours 4 months from now? Maybe daylight savings time kicked in on your home time zone. Maybe you'll move in that 4 month time period, I don't know. This is not needing to add 1+1, it's a useful feature. The worst part is that you fail to recognize how something unimportant to you could be a useful feature to someone else. I don't care about A2DP bluetooth, but I understand that there are people who do, and I'll refrain from making societal observations based on my own lack of need/preference for it.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by coney27 View Post
    Seriously is this just another waaa waaa im a cranky little kid thread?

    I really think it doesnt take that much brain power to calculate the different time zones.
    No! It's a 'we have had a facility which we find useful in ancient and obsolete software, and some short-sighted dip-stick has failed to include it in the new model' thread.
  10. coney27's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    What's Berlin's time zone in relation to your current one? Even if you'd expect someone who conducts international business to know that, how about the following situation: What's Berlin's time zone compared to yours 4 months from now? Maybe daylight savings time kicked in on your home time zone. Maybe you'll move in that 4 month time period, I don't know. This is not needing to add 1+1, it's a useful feature. The worst part is that you fail to recognize how something unimportant to you could be a useful feature to someone else. I don't care about A2DP bluetooth, but I understand that there are people who do, and I'll refrain from making societal observations based on my own lack of need/preference for it.
    1) Let me google that for you
    2) How can you determine that a feature like that is unimportant to me?
    3) Im sorry if I hurt your feelings while making a globalization comment on how lazy you might be
    4) If you are so worried about this massive problem wait a month for app to come out and sucker you out of 5$, while me and everyone else will be able to either use google, or our very useful and highly devloped brains
  11. #31  
    It IS important, especially if you rely on calendar reminders for events. I've gotten used to having this functionality in my mobiles. I don't use it constantly, but a calendar reminder has saved me on more than one occasion. It's just dumb to omit this feature, especially when your older devices had it. It's not like they didn't have time to include this. WebOS took almost as long as Longhorn to see the light of day.
  12. mbgibbs13's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #32  
    Yep, this is certainly an important feature. Sorry coney, but your argument is a little misdirected. Of course it is possible for anyone to calculate time zone shift with his/her brain, but it just takes longer. The bottom line premise behind technology is to allow us to perform more activities in less time.

    Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, it's not that bad. Whenever I setup a meeting, I just put in a time that I think will work, send the meeting notice, and let invitees respond. If there's a major issue with the time, I'll reschedule. Come to think about it, I've been using a Blackberry as my work device for the past 4 years, and I have never once even thought about trying to look up a time zone. So, while some may have an issue with it, no big deal at all for me.
    Last edited by mbgibbs13; 06/05/2009 at 07:26 AM. Reason: mis-worded
  13. #33  
    While I don't agree with Coney's rude tone, I do wonder about this complaint.

    As I recall, the calendar's timezone drop-down menu doesn't have every global or domestic city. You have to enter the timezone, yourself. Which suggests that you either have to know the timezone already or look it up.

    If you were going to have to look it up, anyway, I hardly see how the device is helping that much. I can see that it's helping a little, but it seems like it was already ill-suited for your needs.

    That said, I can certainly understand being frustrated that they made it LESS useful instead of MORESO. That seems to be happening in more and more places between PalmOS and WebOS.

    And I don't feel comfy EVERY time this happens, just saying, "Palm will probably fix it in an update."
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  14. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #34  
    This is seriously a complaint? I set up meetings with multiple time zones all the time. It's not hard to remember them!

    Most of Europe is 6 hours ahead, so I say...Ok, let's aim for a 4pm meeting for them - subtract 6 and voila...I set a 10am meeting. REALLY? Is it that hard? If you're doing this often, then you should know the time zones backward and forward!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    This is seriously a complaint? I set up meetings with multiple time zones all the time. It's not hard to remember them!

    Most of Europe is 6 hours ahead, so I say...Ok, let's aim for a 4pm meeting for them - subtract 6 and voila...I set a 10am meeting. REALLY? Is it that hard? If you're doing this often, then you should know the time zones backward and forward!
    oh no! that's too hard for him! he can't do all that heavy math in his head!!!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    While I don't agree with Coney's rude tone, I do wonder about this complaint.

    As I recall, the calendar's timezone drop-down menu doesn't have every global or domestic city. You have to enter the timezone, yourself. Which suggests that you either have to know the timezone already or look it up.

    If you were going to have to look it up, anyway, I hardly see how the device is helping that much. I can see that it's helping a little, but it seems like it was already ill-suited for your needs.

    That said, I can certainly understand being frustrated that they made it LESS useful instead of MORESO. That seems to be happening in more and more places between PalmOS and WebOS.

    And I don't feel comfy EVERY time this happens, just saying, "Palm will probably fix it in an update."
    This is where the Palm Pre had an opportunity to "out shine" other devices. In my previous job I traveled to many countries and the world clock was very useful. I think they could have included more cities and countries to improve upon the function and not just remove it. At a minimum, at least survey past palm users especially those who had three versions of the model to substantiate the removal. (My treos...650, 700P and Centro). Maybe I just missed that customer service call...

    I do hope people, despite having different opinions, can try to see another perspective based on a particular need expressed by a majority or minority.
  17. jayzun's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    This is where the Palm Pre had an opportunity to "out shine" other devices. In my previous job I traveled to many countries and the world clock was very useful. I think they could have included more cities and countries to improve upon the function and not just remove it. At a minimum, at least survey past palm users especially those who had three versions of the model to substantiate the removal. (My treos...650, 700P and Centro). Maybe I just missed that customer service call...

    I do hope people, despite having different opinions, can try to see another perspective based on a particular need expressed by a majority or minority.
    They didn't REMOVE any features, they've only included features in a new OS that they built up from the ground up. I'm sure they've had a list of to-do's while building the OS and I'm sure calendar time zones were very low on the list, as they should be. If they have time, Im sure they'll get to it eventually.
  18. #38  
    I think the question is what happens when you are traveling. Yeah, if you're always in the same timezone, this is not an issue. But if you are traveling frequently, and always in a different timezone, it's good to have the calendar automatically update the times. For example, if I set a 10am telephone call for next monday, but didn't realize that I would have to be in LA that day, I want my calendar to automatically shift the time to 7am so I don't miss it (I'm in EST).

    So does the calendar assume that every appt I enter is in my current timezone, or does it have no notion of timezones whatsoever and no calendar times change when you travel?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Use the clock in Classic. Problem solved.
    Yeah, there's a $50 solution... *thumbs down*
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Yeah, there's a $50 solution... *thumbs down*
    It's $50? I thought I read somewhere it was $20.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions