1.    #1  
    Went to the Sprint store today and the advocate had a demo Pre for me to try. We sat together for around 45 min's. discussing stuff while I played around with it.

This will most likely all be old news, so skip it if you want to.

1. Plasticy? Well, it IS made out of plastic, so I guess if you want to call it plasticy, go ahead. But it was no better or worse than the other 8 bazillion plastic phones out there, so no worries. I really like the high gloss of the thing - makes me want to NOT get the matte back for the touchstone! But I probably will anyway. The size is nice and I think the weight was pretty good, considering it is a very small device.

2. Slider was fine, not sure what all the discussion is about. The guy did tell me that the slider is a little stiff at first, and that the device I was using had a lot of use and was "broken in". It was fine, definitely spring loaded, without a doubt. Felt fine to me.

3. That sharp edge, well, it is kinda sharp, but it ain't gonna put you in the hospital and I will not be cutting cheese with it either. It's fine, no biggy. That guy was kinda jerky for making a big deal out of it.

4. Keyboard - I am coming from a Centro and I LOVED the Pre keyboard. Keys are rubbery like the Centro but DEFINITELY spread out just a little more than my Centro - but enough to make a big difference to me. And I don't see what the fuss is about the top OR bottom rows being cramped, or hitting the ledge when using the bottom row of keys, or hitting the body of the phone while using the top row of keys - NOT a problem, IMHO. I'll be jammin' out emails in no time.

5. OK, I'm gonna show my age now. Gekko already calls me pops. Not sure how he figured it out. I wear contacts, and when I read, I either need to take them out, or throw on a pair of WEAK reading glasses if the print is small. Well, I did have trouble reading a lot of the text on the Pre screen cuz it is really small - like the row that shows the name of the app you're in (where you select the app's menu), etc. That's my problem to deal with. Most of you young bucs will be fine.

6. Unfortunately, web access was weak in the store, and the advocate told me they were having some problems, but I WAS able to get out to the cloud a few times. Web pages are everything we have read - good, no probs. Pinching gesture is fine, but again, need to get used to it a little.

7. Camera is fine - and it definitely DOES give an immediate response when you select to shoot, so that is good. I always hated that long delay when taking pics.

8. The only video he had was an episode of Family Guy - it played as though I was watching it on TV, no probs.

9. Card view, gestures, launching, etc. was as expected. Even though I THOUGHT I had it down before even entering the store, it does take a little getting used to, as in about 20 minutes maybe. But we'll all be pros in no time.

10. I thought my wife would like the mirror on the back, but it's a little distorted so I'm not sure how useful it will be to her.

Guess that's about it for now. Not to end on a down note or anything, but unlike many others on this site who have had time to see the Pre, my thoughts as I walked out of the store were not "Man, I can't wait until Saturday". It was more like "Well, that was a real nice phone, and I do certainly still want it, but it IS just a phone". In other words, I kinda feel like I got it out of my system now and have no problem waiting. The excitement has been tempered. If they run out of them on Saturday, no biggy, I will get one when the next batch comes in.
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    3. That sharp edge, well, it is kinda sharp, but it ain't gonna put you in the hospital and I will not be cutting cheese with it either. It's fine, no biggy. That guy was kinda jerky for making a big deal out of it.
    LOL ... You will be getting the fart app though won't you ...
    Great...thanks for posting! Too bad I haven't gotten ahold of one yet heheh
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    nice review, pops. and if the pre doesn't work out for you, there's always this -

I got my hands on one today as well, someplace other then where I'm going to buy mine.

It's plastic, but feels solid. No "cheapness" that some have complained about. Smooth and solidly built. The Touchstone battery door makes it feel even better, IMHO, because of the rubbery coating.

The slider is the best I've felt in any slider phone. Blows away anything from Nokia or HTC. Smooth, almost spring-loaded the way it moves in and out. Definitely engineered for one-handed opening.

The keypad is great. I like it better than my Treo 680 or 750 keypad, but not quite as much as my BlackBerry Bold keypad. The BlackBerry is the best I've ever used. I'd call it like this:

Blackberry Bold: 100
    Palm Pre: 85-90
    Palm Treo: 75-80
    Palm Centro: 50 (always HATED the Centro's keypad)
    Boy am I stupid...I never realized the back of the slider was the mirror... DOH!

I can't wait...1 day 18h (for the west coast at least)!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    nice review, pops. and if the pre doesn't work out for you, there's always this -

Ha ha! LOL. Man, and that thing is $150.00??!!! Wow, for another $49 I am getting a Pre!

And Gekko, I was using Palm Pilots (Treo 90, Treo 650, Centro) when you were still poopin' your pants buddy. Trust me, I don't need no Jitterbug! I want the PRE!!!!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre-Me View Post
    LOL ... You will be getting the fart app though won't you ...

Heck yeah! OH, by the way, this might go without saying, but he told me that EVERY app that is CURRENTLY in the app catalog is free.
    Last edited by furreverdad; 06/04/2009 at 03:27 PM.
  9. faz
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

LOL
    Ha ha! LOL. Man, and that thing is $150.00??!!! Wow, for another $49 I am getting a Pre!

And Gekko, I was using Palm Pilots (Treo 90, Treo 650, Centro) when you were still poopin' your pants buddy. Trust me, I don't need no Jitterbug! I want the PRE!!!!!
    HAHAHAH

Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Heck yeah! OH, by the way, this might go without saying, but he told me that EVERY app that is CURRENTLY in the app catalog is free.
    LIES! Well sort of... the ones that are demos are free but eventually expire (i.e. Classic runs for 7 days only, Connect4 demo is only good for 5 games, etc). So, free with a catch, he might have realized this though...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    "Well, that was a real nice phone, and I do certainly still want it, but it IS just a phone". In other words, I kinda feel like I got it out of my system now and have no problem waiting. The excitement has been tempered. If they run out of them on Saturday, no biggy, I will get one when the next batch comes in.
    You summed up my feelings exactly. Of course, I'm probably closer to your age anyway, but I thought it was pretty small. I'm chunking a Treo 755p, so I'm used to some heft. The Pre felt anything but cheap and fragile. It did feel good - but small. The screen was awesome though. I'll be pinching a lot.

I think the slider on this one was a bit loose, though. When I tried to swipe up I used too much pressure and kept opening the keyboard. That'll come with practice, I guess.

Didn't get a chance to make a call, but I always use bluetooth, so not too interested in how it feels on the cheek.

Very responsive, but it was using wi-fi. Don't expect too much less with 3G.

I'm not going pitch my lawn chair just yet, but I'll probably be there a bit early.

Here's my conundrum: do I go to Sprint, which opens at 8:00 and loan them $100, or do I take a chance and go to Best Buy at 9:00 and not be one of the first four (that's how many my store has according to the leak)?

Decisions, decisions.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    You summed up my feelings exactly. Of course, I'm probably closer to your age anyway, but I thought it was pretty small. I'm chunking a Treo 755p, so I'm used to some heft. The Pre felt anything but cheap and fragile. It did feel good - but small. The screen was awesome though. I'll be pinching a lot.

I think the slider on this one was a bit loose, though. When I tried to swipe up I used too much pressure and kept opening the keyboard. That'll come with practice, I guess.

Didn't get a chance to make a call, but I always use bluetooth, so not too interested in how it feels on the cheek.

Very responsive, but it was using wi-fi. Don't expect too much less with 3G.

I'm not going pitch my lawn chair just yet, but I'll probably be there a bit early.

Here's my conundrum: do I go to Sprint, which opens at 8:00 and loan them $100, or do I take a chance and go to Best Buy at 9:00 and not be one of the first four (that's how many my store has according to the leak)?

Decisions, decisions.
    Good to hear from you. Well, the Sprint guy told me they only have around TEN! He also HEARD that the two Best Buy's in my area had one and two, respectively. Yikes.
    I want to hold one but I know the stores are gonna be swapped with people. :/
    Glad to hear that was very exaggerated.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001