1.    #1  
    Crunchgear has extracted all the "negatives" from a range of Pre reviews on the net and put them all together:

Here’s what’s wrong with the Palm Pre

It's an interesting read...and perhaps adds a needed dose of reality to the hype.

Points that I found particularly interesting included:

- An app from the store caused a Pre to crash (so much for protected memory)...and also wipe out all phone data...and prevented connecting back to either sprint or a wifi network

- Multiple reports of sharp edges when the phone is open

- Performance and UI feedback issues

- Autocorrect being significantly less powerful than several other prominent smartphones

- ...and of course, complaints about the battery and keyboard size

Keep in mind, not everyone reviewing this phone has an ax to grind...and the reason that we may be seeing some of these complaints repeated could just be because they *are* actual issues...at least to some.

I won't say that the reviews have scared me away, but I will say that they have reinforced my desire to hold one in my hand and use it before I run out and plunk down my cash for a boxed unit.

<insert flames and fanboi-ism here >
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    - An app from the store caused a Pre to crash (so much for protected memory)...and also wipe out all phone data...and prevented connecting back to either sprint or a wifi network
    In fairness, the App Catalog is still clearly marked Beta. And what someone pointed out in another thread- if supposedly the phone no longer connected to Sprint or to Wifi, how did Mossberg get online to restore the backup that he mentions in the next line? I'm not saying I don't believe him, it just was a little strange. But yeah, I'd hope for more stability even in a beta, but as I'm one to test out alphas and earlier of things, it doesn't bother me.

- Autocorrect being significantly less powerful than several other prominent smartphones
    Eh, I'd rather have autocorrect not exist at all, myself. I can't tell you how many times on my Treo it turned "well" to "we'll" or "IM me" to "I'm me."

The biggest negatives for me remain battery life, small app store at launch, and only 8GB of flash, things I expected all along. None of those will stop me from getting it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In fairness, the App Catalog is still clearly marked Beta. And what someone pointed out in another thread- if supposedly the phone no longer connected to Sprint or to Wifi, how did Mossberg get online to restore the backup that he mentions in the next line? I'm not saying I don't believe him, it just was a little strange.
    Took out the battery and booted it up again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Took out the battery and booted it up again?
    It's possible, just something I'd like clarified by him. Though in his defense, unlike Engadget or Precentral, he needs to write for a fixed word limit and had to leave things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This is the same way that I have been fixing problems with my Palms for over a decade now.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Great link. I always find the negatives in a review to be more important than the positives because when it comes to owning something then it's much better to be surprised by a cool feature than surprised by a flaw that everyone was trying to ignore.

Anyway, the reviews for the Pre are amazingly thorough and in the end i do feel it's a top notch device. I question the way it does a lot of things but since I want to stay with sprint (for now) then it's the best phone they have so I'll live with it.
    I'll wait and see how auto-correct really works. I have actually not had a lot of luck with auto-correct. Sometimes it can slow you down. I don't even use it right now on the Touch Pro, I spell check before sending, because it make so many incorrect assumptions.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
  8. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I felt up 3 different Pres this weekend and I am clearly used to sharper objects in my hand apparently because not one had a single sharp anything.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    I felt up 3 different Pres this weekend and I am clearly used to sharper objects in my hand apparently because not one had a single sharp anything.
    I hope you enjoyed it
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Honestly, I have to consciously try to feel the sharp edges - I do not notice it at all when using the phone's keyboard.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin