Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I gotta say, my first response to the news that Palm is claiming that the Centro battery shouldn't be used in the Pre is, "Well, duh. They want to sell lots of $30 batteries, even to people with multiple Centro batteries."

But, in fairness, I'm not educated on the ins and outs of batteries.

Can somebody shed light on whether Palm's claim is reasonable?
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    I gotta say, my first response to the news that Palm is claiming that the Centro battery shouldn't be used in the Pre is, "Well, duh. They want to sell lots of $30 batteries, even to people with multiple Centro batteries."

But, in fairness, I'm not educated on the ins and outs of batteries.

Can somebody shed light on whether Palm's claim is reasonable?
    They claim mechanical and electrical differences prohibit the use of the centro battery.

I doubt they're lying, but you can try it out in your Pre and tell us what happens.
    Well, for sure (guessing) the Centro battery will not work with the Touchstone.

I have no proof of this, but I do have a keyboard and computer screen in front of me.
    I don't remember exactly where, but I thought someone on here tried it with a Centro battery and it worked fine. Maybe it's not optimized the same way so it won't last quite as long, but I think it will work. My guess is they are just saying that so you buy more batteries. I may be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneAfter909 View Post
    Well, for sure (guessing) the Centro battery will not work with the Touchstone.

I have no proof of this, but I do have a keyboard and computer screen in front of me.

I actually think it would. I don't think the way the touchstone works has anything to do with the actual battery. I think the back and the mechanism inside is what works with the touchstone and in turn charges the battery. The battery is just a battery, nothing fancy there. But just like you, I'm guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I doubt they're lying, but you can try it out in your Pre and tell us what happens.
    Sure, the worse that could happen is your phone explodes in your pants.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I don't care if it works or not because as soon as Seidio comes out with an extended battery for the Pre, I'm getting it.
    Oh yeah, well.................*shuffling papers*.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    They claim mechanical and electrical differences prohibit the use of the centro battery.
    Yes, I know what they claim. I also know it's incredibly vague and wishy-washy.

What "mechanical and electrical differences," Palm?

If they don't provide specifics, and especially if they don't issue a more forceful warning, I probably will be trying it out.

Unless, of course, somebody else can explain what the "mechanical and electrical differences" might be.
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post

Unless, of course, somebody else can explain what the "mechanical and electrical differences" might be.
    That just means they take no responsibility if you blow your junk off.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    I don't care if it works or not because as soon as Seidio comes out with an extended battery for the Pre, I'm getting it.
    if it does end up being the same then there's already an extended seidio battery

also, doesn't 'mechanical' indicate moving parts? batteries don't have moving parts...
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    I know charging lithium batteries can be touchy and typically the charging circuit is built to the specific battery pack. It may well be that a Pre will operate just fine on a Centro battery but the charging circuit in the Pre may not be appropriate for the Centro battery. If you are using an external "smart" charger you could be fine.

* I am not a battery engineer, nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night. YMMV, void where prohibited.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Maybe it has something to do with this?

Battery Management System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    That's what i'm talking about....still have my 2600 battery for the 800w..just waiting for a Seidio extended battery cover for the PRE.

BTW,....Seidio....are you in the forums today?...Any chance for an extended battery and cover for the PRE???
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    It's possible that although both batteries have the same voltage and capacity ratings that they are optimized for different use profiles and different charge profiles. Perhaps the battery in the Pre is capable of charging faster than the Centro battery. Or maybe the Centro battery will die more quickly under the Pre power use profile.

There could also be a heat issue--one of the reviews mentions that the back becomes rather warm when using the Touchstone. The Pre battery may be made to withstand that and the Centro may not.

Mechanically they may be the same size and shape, but perhaps the Pre battery is subject to higher stress loads for some reason (like when you drop it) and so needs to be more stiff.

There could be lots of other reasons. I really have no idea. But I'm thinking that if the manufacturer says they're different, don't use the Centro battery, I'm not going to take any chances. Also, if they were identical, wouldn't Palm make the same money on either battery? If they were identical, why would they care which battery you bought? In fact, if they were identical, I'm betting that they would make this a part of their sales pitch.

Having said that, it's pretty stupid to have the same size and shape and then claim that they're different. But I don't have a Centro, so there's no issue for me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hey, if it does explode, that is what TEP is for .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    believe it was stated the batteries have different voltages. if you want to fry your pre go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilword View Post
    believe it was stated the batteries have different voltages. if you want to fry your pre go for it.
    I haven't seen that. Can you point to a link?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Maybe it works, but the battery gauge isn't as accurate. I'm sure Sprint is going to tell you your old micro-USB chargers won't work with the Pre also. The reason they're keeping most of the Pre's to sell in Sprint-owned stores is because they make more money selling the accessories than they do selling the phones.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast