Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Guys, there is so much misinformation in this thread. I spoke directly to somebody who writes charging code for a certain smartphone manufacturer of interest to this forum.

The Centro battery itself is identical and will provide identical voltages (at least within the range normally associated with Li-Ion batteries), IF it has never been in a Centro. The problem is with the Centro itself, which writes its voltage settings to the battery's circuitry and makes some settings read only, so that the Pre's charging code cannot change it. The battery will then deliver the wrong power on wakeup from sleep. It is not anything that will make your phone explode, but it will likely shorten the life of your device.

So to sum up, new Centro batteries that have never been used in a Centro = kosher.

Used Centro batteries, or using the Centro as a charger for spare batteries = not kosher.
    May be it is true, my Centro battery was never in Centro - it was in charger.

The Centro battery itself is identical and will provide identical voltages (at least within the range normally associated with Li-Ion batteries), IF it has never been in a Centro. The problem is with the Centro itself, which writes its voltage settings to the battery's circuitry and makes some settings read only, so that the Pre's charging code cannot change it.
    Could you elaborate on this a little? I'm curious how the Centro can "program" the battery's internal circuitry. The battery has 3 contact points. +, - and I'm not sure what the 3rd one is for.

In order to program any circuitry on the battery itself, especially making part of it "read only" wouldn't you also need some type of clock and data lines? That would make 4 contacts required.

I know the batteries usually have built in protection circuits to keep them from overcharging but I don't see how they can be programmable as you are describing.

Just trying to educate myself here.
    I don't understand it well enough to explain in any more detail than I already have. Just repeating what I got straight from the horse's mouth on this subject.
    I don't understand it well enough to explain in any more detail than I already have. Just repeating what I got straight from the horse's mouth on this subject.
    Well, next time you speak to the "horse" maybe you can ask him because I don't think it's possible for the Centro or any phone for that matter to do any "programming" to the battery, when it only has 3 electrical contact points.

No offense intended, but if you are going to make the statement "there is so much misinformation in this thread" then you really need to be able to explain why your claim is true, otherwise it falls into the same "misinformation" category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Well, next time you speak to the "horse" maybe you can ask him because I don't think it's possible for the Centro or any phone for that matter to do any "programming" to the battery, when it only has 3 electrical contact points.

No offense intended, but if you are going to make the statement "there is so much misinformation in this thread" then you really need to be able to explain why your claim is true, otherwise it falls into the same "misinformation" category.
    Misinformation is misinformation because it's NOT TRUE. Not because someone hasn't explained it to your personal satisfaction.

Big difference.

If you believe you know more about the subject than a guy who writes charging code for WebOS devices, that's your business. Personally, I'll take his word over yours.
    Misinformation is misinformation because it's NOT TRUE. Not because someone hasn't explained it to your personal satisfaction.

Big difference.

If you believe you know more about the subject than a guy who writes charging code for WebOS devices, that's your business. Personally, I'll take his word over yours.
    I've worked in the electronics industry for over 25 years so I think I know a lot more than YOU who made the post. You blame people for spreading misinformation in this thread, talking as if you are some type of expert. I didn't understand your claims so I asked for some clarification. Instead, you throw up your hands and get all defensive because in truth, you don't know Jack Squat about this subject.

I'm no battery expert and what you posted didn't make sense, so I thought I would maybe learn something, that's why I asked you to explain, which you could not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I've worked in the electronics industry for over 25 years so I think I know a lot more than YOU who made the post. You blame people for spreading misinformation in this thread, talking as if you are some type of expert. I didn't understand your claims so I asked for some clarification. Instead, you throw up your hands and get all defensive because in truth, you don't know Jack Squat about this subject.

I'm no battery expert and what you posted didn't make sense, so I thought I would maybe learn something, that's why I asked you to explain, which you could not.

I'll file away your claim as BS, because that's what it is.
    I did not speak as if I was an expert. I spoke as if I had information that other people in the thread did not, which I then offered.

Hint: 1-Wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few highlights, for your edification:

"1-Wire is a device communications bus system designed by Dallas Semiconductor Corp. that provides low-speed data, signaling and power over a single signal."

"1-Wire devices are also found mounted on printed circuit boards (PCBs), with or without a 1-Wire controller. The 1-Wire device can be the only element on the PCB, but in many commercial applications the 1-Wire device is one part of a larger assembly, such as laptop or cellphone battery packs."

"Systems of sensors and actuators can be built by wiring together 1-Wire components, each including all of the logic needed to operate on the 1-Wire bus. Examples include temperature loggers, timers, voltage and current sensors, battery monitors, and memory."

Have a nice day.
    Very interesting read. Thank you.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345