Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I bought two palm centro batteries and for some reason only one of them works...Not sure if the 2nd one is defective or if their is a good reason not to use the centro batteries. I have to use my extra battery until my name Palm Pre battery arrives(which it's on back-order) right now.

I will keep you updated on battery life,battery meter, etc....
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i'm not risking non-PRE batteries or non-PRE chargers. there are consequences when you veer from highly sophisticated OEM specs - and we'll end up seeing a bunch of user complaints here as a result.
    veering from highly sophisticated OEM specs = taking money from them
    I think one of the differences is that third contact on the battery. Did anyone notice the battery has three contacts? Not just plus and minus? That third contact is hooked to the chip inside and digital data about the state of the battery is passed over that line. I would guess that the charge state is some of the info passed so a full battery might read out as empty if the phone doesn't read the data correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I'm currently evaluating the engineering designs of a battery being constructed for my organization (this battery has a power capacity greater than that of 100 Toyota Prius's -- in fact we've been told that it's by far the greatest energy density for any battery every designed).
    So tell us more... what's the battery chemistry (half-cells)?
    A Prius battery is actually pretty weak, nothing very impressive... Now if you are talking 100 Tesla Roadsters, that's something to get a kick from...

just for ref: a Prius battery is about 1.5kwh, whereas a Tesla Roadster's battery is about 53kwh! over 30X a Prius... so a 100X over a Prius is 3X over a Roadster...

But just how big is it? will it FIT in a Roadster? is it 3X the capacity but also 2.5X the volume?
    Last edited by neurocutie; 06/07/2009 at 06:04 PM.
    My Sprint store was also saying that you had to buy a special car charger for the Pre. They had a anotherr micro USB car charger that worked with the Palm Pro, among others (same specs as the so called Pre specific charger), but they said Palm requires them to sell this new charger for the Pre. This was also because of some mechanical isssue. I told him that every phone I have ever bought says the same thing. You must use a Sprint car charger. What a crock of *****. A USB, is a USB is a USB. Do they not know that the U stands for Universal. I personally use a iGo charger. Bought a micro tip yesterday, and what do you know it works!!!!!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tkonle View Post
    My Sprint store was also saying that you had to buy a special car charger for the Pre. They had a anotherr micro USB car charger that worked with the Palm Pro, among others (same specs as the so called Pre specific charger), but they said Palm requires them to sell this new charger for the Pre. This was also because of some mechanical isssue. I told him that every phone I have ever bought says the same thing. You must use a Sprint car charger. What a crock of *****. A USB, is a USB is a USB. Do they not know that the U stands for Universal. I personally use a iGo charger. Bought a micro tip yesterday, and what do you know it works!!!!!
    I typically would agree with this, but the previous sprint microusb car charger did not work with the pre. It worked with my every other microusb phone ive had, but not the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    I think one of the differences is that third contact on the battery.

They all have 3

The more I compare my Centro batteries to my Pre battery I see I was mistaken. They are exactly the same.

There is however sometimes a slight problem with getting the Pre to boot after changing the battery. Sometimes it does and sometimes it wont until you plug it in. Then it seems to "wake up" and boot right up

Before you jump to any conclusions it happens with the Pre battery more often than with my Centro batteries.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I typically would agree with this, but the previous sprint microusb car charger did not work with the pre. It worked with my every other microusb phone ive had, but not the pre.
    All my Treo800 / Treo Pro chargers and cables are working perfectly with the Pre. The only exception is with the touchstone. I have figured out that to get the touchstone to work you need a full amp of juice at 5 volts. It seems the touchstone wastes a lot of juice in the form of heat.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tkonle View Post
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. Don't you know that on a standard miniUSB or MicroUSB has a pin call ID?? That pin gives the ability for the phone manufacturer to set up an ID to reference the correct charger..

for example, if you plug a standard miniUSB cable with a USB travel adapter onto a Motorola Q, it will not charge at all. Same thing for some blackberries...

In other words, mini and microUSB are not necessary to be Universal!!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JNV600 View Post
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. Don't you know that on a standard miniUSB or MicroUSB has a pin call ID?? That pin gives the ability for the phone manufacturer to set up an ID to reference the correct charger..

for example, if you plug a standard miniUSB cable with a USB travel adapter onto a Motorola Q, it will not charge at all. Same thing for some blackberries...

In other words, mini and microUSB are not necessary to be Universal!!
    What the hell is the point of this then?!
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    I bought 2 centro batteries as back up, $13 for both, then I bought a centro battery charger $6....so I'll only charge Cenro batteries in centro charger, use only when my 2 PRE batteries are dead from over use. EASY INEXPENSIVE FIX
    Long story short, I have a pre that was purchased second hand and when I checked the battery to see if it was the same discovered it has been using a centro battery since purchase!! The phone has been used for a month with the centro battery.... no overheating, and ironically, longer battery life than another pre running stock pre battery, same usage... never even checked the battery in the second hand pre, just verified that it worked! (didnt see the point as I had no clue the batteries were even possibly interchangable, just lived near the charger for mine!)
    that's funny. I have about five centro batteries and have zero issues with them. I actually use the old centro as a charger for the oem, mugen and centro batteries. No issues.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    the centro battery is a slightly lower voltage.it is a fraction smaller ( like to original pre batteries were which caused them to come loose and shut the phone off when closing the slider.)

a few pieces of tape and it works great. I don't use a centro attery because I have siedio extended batteries. But I would use a centro battery if I need to. I have a bunch of them.
    Have a Pixi so I haven't had that issue. And I still have your Avatar. My first smartphone and fifth POS device.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    When I bought my Pre, I originally had no back or battery, so I used a back I was given, and the battery from my Centro (we had jammed it into another Pre, so I knew ahead of time it would work)

It was a baaad battery to use, and didn't hold a charge well. I don't know if it was because it was just old, or if it had lower specs like some in this thread are saying - but it worked.

I replaced it after a month or so of use with a real Pre-intended battery and I have a much better charge.
    I apologize for not wading through all the speculation in this thread...

It is the same battery, except for the gray vs black color (though I understand how that could definitely have a random affect). It does work fine. I've used several Centro batteries on and off with no difficulties or changes in performance, battery life, charging time etc. I usually don't bother to change back for weeks at a stretch.

My wife, conversely, has used my Pre battery in her Centro with the same luck. Enjoy.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Yep, my batteries work both ways, in both devices, charging and all. Centro and Pre.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Well,in my experience centro battery worked better then pre. It held charge longer by about 15 to 20%. Only drawback was, phone was charging hotter on the touchstone by 2deg c.
    Guys, there is so much misinformation in this thread. I spoke directly to somebody who writes charging code for a certain smartphone manufacturer of interest to this forum.

The Centro battery itself is identical and will provide identical voltages (at least within the range normally associated with Li-Ion batteries), IF it has never been in a Centro. The problem is with the Centro itself, which writes its voltage settings to the battery's circuitry and makes some settings read only, so that the Pre's charging code cannot change it. The battery will then deliver the wrong power on wakeup from sleep. It is not anything that will make your phone explode, but it will likely shorten the life of your device.

So to sum up, new Centro batteries that have never been used in a Centro = kosher.

Used Centro batteries, or using the Centro as a charger for spare batteries = not kosher.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast