Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    also, doesn't 'mechanical' indicate moving parts? batteries don't have moving parts...
    Not necessarily, mechanical also refers to physical properties i.e. size, dimensions, pin-out placement etc.
    If there is some danger involved in using the Centro battery, you would think that they would have changed the Pre battery form-factor. Maybe adding a notch or something so you couldn't use another battery they already sell. Unless they come out with a stronger statement, I bet they are just trying to sell more batteries. That being said, I'm not using my extended Centro battery until someone else does first.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilword View Post
    believe it was stated the batteries have different voltages. if you want to fry your pre go for it.
    Is that what you call yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by FONdude View Post
    Not necessarily, mechanical also refers to physical properties i.e. size, dimensions, pin-out placement etc.
    And don't forget static stresses, vibration, etc.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    If there is some danger involved in using the Centro battery, you would think that they would have changed the Pre battery form-factor. Maybe adding a notch or something so you couldn't use another battery they already sell. Unless they come out with a stronger statement, I bet they are just trying to sell more batteries. That being said, I'm not using my extended Centro battery until someone else does first.
    I'll do it, I can always get another one because of TEP .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    I haven't seen that. Can you point to a link?
    Im not 100% I thought I read it in one of the reviews somewhere. I could be wrong. It's just what I recall.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    they dont "RECOMMEND" it.

i dont take that as a DONT do it kind of statement.
    The Pre is an entirely new model, different processor, graphics system, etc. I wouldn't expect the old batteries to work.

Seidio Online is the way to go when they come out with high-cap replacements. I figure they will have a longer life battery that fits with the old battery door, plus a new super high capacity battery with a new hump-back door.
    As long as the voltage and pin out is the same (easy to verify) then you are good to go.

When a manf. says they don't RECOMEND something that means either (1) they have not tested it so they don't know if it will work ala all 3rd party batteries, etc. or (2) they want to sell you something new and more costly.

Do you recall the ink cartridges that DELL had made for their printers that were made by Lexmark? It was the EXACT same cartridge but they added a small tab that prevented the Lexmark (cheaper) units from going into the DELL printers. Of course everyone just modified their Lexmark cartridges but DELL would never say they recommended it
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Hey, if it does explode, that is what TEP is for .
    Unless that's some type of crotch replacement plan, I must disagree.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Unless that's some type of crotch replacement plan, I must disagree.
    I'll have to carry my Pre around in a metal briefcase LOL.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    As long as the voltage and pin out is the same (easy to verify) then you are good to go.

When a manf. says they don't RECOMEND something that means either (1) they have not tested it so they don't know if it will work ala all 3rd party batteries, etc. or (2) they want to sell you something new and more costly.

Do you recall the ink cartridges that DELL had made for their printers that were made by Lexmark? It was the EXACT same cartridge but they added a small tab that prevented the Lexmark (cheaper) units from going into the DELL printers. Of course everyone just modified their Lexmark cartridges but DELL would never say they recommended it
    You may be right. I had problems with my Sony laptop shortly after I got it. I sent it to them for repair and they said there was no problem that they could find. I don't think they tried very hard. Later, after I sent it to them, again, they claimed that the problem was the RAM I had added to the laptop. It wasn't SONY RAM.

One of their own reps had told me it was fine to add and told me how to go about doing so. They even admitted (after I caught them in lies) that they hadn't tested the added RAM to be sure that it was the problem.

In the end, they never solved my problem and I was quite pissed. Eventually, I took the added RAM out to keep things simple and so that they'd resolve another issue (which I believe they failed to resolve). In time, I realized that the original recurring issue... had stopped occurring.

And it stopped around the time that I removed that RAM. So, in the end, I'm left with the impression that they were correct.

It just didn't seem that they were correct because they were so busy lying, disconnecting me, and overcharging for the "approved" SONY-branded RAM.

So, when it comes to things like memory and power supplies, I stick with what the manufacturer recommends... or, in this case, I shy away from what they DON'T recommend.

It's too much of a hassle to backtrack after the fact - insurance or no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I'll have to carry my junk around in a metal case LOL.
    Fixed it for you.
    All battery cells of a certain chemistry are usually the same voltage (Li-Ion, Alkaline, NiCd, NiMh, etc.) So unless they've squeezed 2 cells into the same form factor as the 1150 mAh Centro battery I'll bet it's still the same 3.7 volts that virtually every cell phone uses. The real concerns would be pin-outs and charge/discharge rates. And I would guess the charge/discharge rates can't even be that much different if it is rated for 4-5 hours of talk time. So I'd be really interested in some scientific reason from Palm as to why it's not 'recommended'.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Sounds painful!

You can buy a OEM Centro/800W 1150mAh battery off of eBay for under $7. Or, Palm/Sprint can sell you a Palm Pre battery for $50. Hmmmmm..........
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I bought two of those batteries from ebay as well as a charger so I would be prepared for Saturday since I have a million and one things to do after I pick it up. I hope some one is brave enough to test it before then so I will know if I will need to fake an illness to get me home before it goes dead.
    I've had bad experiences with ebay batteries...but good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by phwelo View Post
    if it does end up being the same then there's already an extended seidio battery

also, doesn't 'mechanical' indicate moving parts? batteries don't have moving parts...
    'mechanical' is pretty much anything in the physical engineering of something which isn't electrical or chemical. So, for example, if two parts are bonded together somehow to keep them from moving relative to eachother, that bonding is mechanical. As another example, I'm currently evaluating the engineering designs of a battery being constructed for my organization (this battery has a power capacity greater than that of 100 Toyota Prius's -- in fact we've been told that it's by far the greatest energy density for any battery every designed). Anyway, the battery itself forms a contact with the housing. This contact is an important part of the mechanical design of the battery because it needs allow heat to transfer from the cells to the housing for dissipation.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 06/04/2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by glitchy View Post
    All battery cells of a certain chemistry are usually the same voltage (Li-Ion, Alkaline, NiCd, NiMh, etc.)
    That's incorrect. While we think of something like a Li-Ion battery to be made of pur lithium, the fact is that batteries are constructed out of alloys (blends of a base metal and other metals). There are many different chemistries for Li-Ion batteries (as is the case for other types of batteries). These varying chemistries produce different properties in the battery, e.g. how much charge it can hold, what its power dissipation graph looks like (no battery dissipates power in a straight line), etc.

This is precisely why companies like Duracell and Energizer has a different line of batteries which they market for electronics vs. for toys. If you use the right kind of battery with a device, the battery will actually last longer.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 06/04/2009 at 04:25 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast