Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    First they told me they were calling everyone that was interested in the phone, and that they are holding it for that person for 24hrs.

Then she told me about the plans available for the phone:
    $69.99 450mins + Everything Data
    $89.99 900mins + Everything Data
    $99.99 Simply Everything

Of course the $89 one doesn't make any sense, because for $10 more you can have Everything.

The thing I really wasn't expecting, and really didn't like was that, "Total Equipment Protection" plan was required for the phone, since there aren't any parts available to fix it in store if something happens, and the only way is to give me a new phone straight from Palm...that, or buy one at regular price.

Does this make any sense? What do you recommend as far as the Protection plan goes?

Thanks!!!
    Is this a Sprint corporate store? And when does the 24 hours start?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    If they said TEP was required, I don't know what kind of recommendation you're expecting to get here?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain2Me2 View Post
    Of course the $89 one doesn't make any sense, because for $10 more you can have Everything.
    Actually, for people who average more than 450 minutes but less than 900, the Everything Data 900 plan for $89 works perfectly.

BTW, this is the first time I've ever heard that TEP was required. o.O
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    First they told me they were calling everyone that was interested in the phone, and that they are holding it for that person for 24hrs.

$99.99 Simply Everything

The thing I really wasn't expecting, and really didn't like was that, "Total Equipment Protection" plan was required for the phone, since there aren't any parts available to fix it in store if something happens, and the only way is to give me a new phone straight from Palm...that, or buy one at regular price.

Does this make any sense? What do you recommend as far as the Protection plan goes?

Thanks!!!
    Is that a corp store? Sounds like it's a private reseller and they are "charging" for the "TEP" as a premium to hold the phone for you. Kinda like how some game resellers "bundle" consoles with accesoories and games to sell HOT new game consoles. Sounds fishy. I'd stay away and go to a corp store on Saturday. You have a great chance of picking one up.

$99.99 Simply Everything

Thanks!!!

Keep in mind the $89 plan qualifies for discounts the $99 does not.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Is this a Sprint corporate store? And when does the 24 hours start?
    How do I find out if it is a corporate store? I think the 24 hrs start right when they call me on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    If they said TEP was required, I don't know what kind of recommendation you're expecting to get here?
    What i really wanted to know is do they have the right to force it...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    and you can apply discounts to the everything data plans, where you can't on the simply everything plans.

Join a certain credit union for $5 (which they end up giving you to sign up) and you get a code for a 25% discount on your plan.( you have to be a member of a local or national PTA to join the credit union ) Pretty good deal if you ask me. I'm sure this credit union is probably getting tons of sign ups now
    What i really wanted to know is do they have the right to force it...
    As enlil242 stated, sounds fishy to force you to get equipment protection.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Ok thanks I guess I'll have to find another store...BTW I'm in Puerto Rico, and it is a Corporate Store...
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    For me with a company discount, the 900 + Everything Data is a winner because my discount doesn't work on the Simply Everything Plan. The prior plan will cost me $67.
    My local store just called me as well. I told him to remove my name fromt he Palm Pre list!! Do you hear me? Off the list! LOL

He told me he could not sell me two phones because only one line was at upgrade status and that if I wanted to upgrade both line I would have to go to an official Sprint Store. The "official" store said get here early and he would do it, but he said it MUST be activated in store, no buying full retail to sell on ebay. I told him I would be there early.

He did not say about how many they would have but he did drop a hint that he would for sure have at least 40 at the 8:00 am hour.
    I have a family plan and I really didn't want to go to an everything data plan. The other phone is a sanyo 4900 my brother keeps going back to, and he only uses it to make calls, no text or data. The plan nearest to mine is the 1500 minute plan. It will run me 20.00 more than I'm paying now. I don't understand why they just can't require an unlimited data plan w/o having to go to an everything plan.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Here is the information regarding TEP:

Phone Protection Solutions

There is nowhere on this page that says it is REQUIRED. What your Sprint store is saying otherwise is accurate. Replacing the phone is going to either cost you a deposit or full retail price depending on whether you sign up for TEP or not. (Repair of the phone is out of the question per some leaked corporate document a week or so ago. Can't find it right now.)

I question the legality of denying purchase of the product on grounds of not taking an insurance policy on said product (something along the lines of racketeering).

On a slight tangent - Best Buy was previously slammed for forcing artificially bundled (i.e. by the store rather than the manufacturer) console / game packages upon customers that just wanted the console by itself.

EDIT: TEP may be seen here as a sort of "deposit" to secure yourself a Pre on release. This is VERY shysty behavior. The easiest way to counter this is to accept it, then after the transaction is completed, cancel it. Per the terms: "You have the right to cancel your coverage at any time without penalty. If you choose to cancel, the change will be effective immediately."

I for one will take up on the TEP because this is Rev. 1.0. I am uncertain of the fragility of the Pre and how well it ages. So if it succumbs to failure rather easily within the first year, I'll be glad I had TEP. Many things in the world of consumer electronics tend to follow a "bathtub curve" in regards to rate of failure over time. If something is going to fail, it will most likely happen rather soon. I will be canceling TEP after 6 months to a year if I don't have any issues.
    Last edited by maskedferret; 06/04/2009 at 02:09 PM.
    I find the OP a bit ambiguous. At the end of your post you type, "...that, or buy one at regular price." in ref to the total protection plan.

This sounds to me like you aren't beeing FORCED to buy the plan per se. It's just that the only options are to get the full replacement plan or no plan at all. Since the phone cannot be repaired, if it breaks and you don't have the plan you'll have to play full price to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I find the OP a bit ambiguous. At the end of your post you type, "...that, or buy one at regular price." in ref to the total protection plan.

This sounds to me like you aren't beeing FORCED to buy the plan per se. It's just that the only options are to get the full replacement plan or no plan at all. Since the phone cannot be repaired, if it breaks and you don't have the plan you'll have to play full price to replace it.
    Indeed. Use and emphasis of the word "required" is what gave me the impression that they are trying to force acceptance of TEP. It is implied that the TEP is required to have the phone fixed (via replacement).
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    Indeed. Use and emphasis of the word "required" is what gave me the impression that they are trying to force acceptance of TEP. It is implied that the TEP is required to have the phone fixed (via replacement).
    This is exactly what believe they were trying to tell me...Replacement is the only way you could fix your phone if something happens to it, and let's say the "highly recommended" subscription of TEP. I do remember the word "required" out of her mouth.

I'm going to that store since the other nearest store is about an hour drive away. I'm used to the Built like a rock SANYO clamshells, so I think TEP at least for the first year like you suggested will be good.

So it will be:
    $69.99 Everything Data 450
    $5.00 Unlimited Incoming Calls
    $7.00 TEP

About $25 more than what I currently pay, but well worth it I think.

Thanks!!!
    I didn't know sprint had $5 unlimited incoming calls.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I think this is a service only available in Puerto Rico, since they had to compete with all the other companies which have it as a standard option.