Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I haven't seen any mention anywhere of the light sensor and how well it works. I'm hoping that it not only makes the screen brighter in sunlight, but makes it dimmer in the dark. User selectable thresholds and brightness levels would be nice too. I've seen mention of an overall screen brightness control, but no mention of brightness adjustment via the light sensor. Anybody out there tried out this feature?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    They mentioned it in the Engadget review. Noted that it dimmed the screen when it was near your face. So I would gather that it would dim in lowlight in general.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    They mentioned it in the Engadget review. Noted that it dimmed the screen when it was near your face. So I would gather that it would dim in lowlight in general.
    I think that's the proximity sensor. It turns the screen off when near your face.
    I have not heard any details of the 'ambient light sensor', but I am curious.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    I haven't seen any mention anywhere of the light sensor and how well it works. I'm hoping that it not only makes the screen brighter in sunlight, but makes it dimmer in the dark.
    I haven't seen a device with a light sensor that hasn't done this.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    i thought they said it would have a light sensor too, my friend's htc fuze does this... i want my pre to do it...
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chezbi View Post
    i thought they said it would have a light sensor too, my friend's htc fuze does this... i want my pre to do it...
    They did say it has a light sensor, that's why I'm wondering. Seems like in all the previews and hands-on tests and reviews someone would have mentioned how it works or if there are any settings to adjust how it behaves.
    Great question... I was wondering about this too. The user guide makes no mention of a ambient light sensor in the Brightness Settings sections.
    "saber"... not "sensor"...
    ETUTREO300
    The Blackberry 8330 will dim the screen in darker lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I haven't seen a device with a light sensor that hasn't done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    The Blackberry 8330 will dim the screen in darker lighting.
    Exactly. Every device with a light sensor dims the screen when it's dark.
    from Laptopmag.com Palm Pre - Review of the Palm Pre (Sprint)

Viewing angles are generous, and we had no trouble seeing the Pre in direct sunlight, thanks to the ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts the brightness.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    my blackberry pearl also dims in low light and gets brighter in brighter lighting
    Quote Originally Posted by ETUTREO300 View Post
    "saber"... not "sensor"...
    I see your Schwartz is as big as mine!
    Yep! It definitely has an ambient light sensor.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Yep! It definitely has an ambient light sensor.
    How can you tell? I can manually adjust the screen brightness, but it doesn't seem to automatically dim in the dark or get brighter outdoors.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    How can you tell? I can manually adjust the screen brightness, but it doesn't seem to automatically dim in the dark or get brighter outdoors.
    I went into my bathroom last night and held the phone up to the lights and when i turned off the lights, the phone dimmed accordingly. I have the brightness set to the brightest.

Brighter light=brighter screen.

Dimmer light=dimmer screen.
    Weird. I also having noticed the screen changing brightness...
    have not*
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I went into my bathroom last night and held the phone up to the lights and when i turned off the lights, the phone dimmed accordingly. I have the brightness set to the brightest.

Brighter light=brighter screen.

Dimmer light=dimmer screen.
    I've tried the same thing in bright light and total darkness and mine doesn't change at all. Are you sure it wasn't the autodim that kicks in before the screen turns off when you don't touch anything for a while? If you touch the screen does the brightness increase again?

Anybody else been able to confirm the behavior of the light sensor? Maybe mine's not working right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast