Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Last night my Treo entered into a seemingly unstoppable Hotsync loop, where it thinks I've connected it to the computer but I haven't. From what I've read, this is a symptom of moisture or shorting of the contacts for the cable connection... But all fixes I've attempted have thus far been unsuccessful.

Is this a fluke? I don't think so... I'm pretty sure my Treo knows what is going on. After all, it has been the primary conduit for all of the resarch I've been doing on the Pre! Ah, poor faithful Treo.. After all these years, we must part ways.

It looks like I will have a couple of days of "no phone" silence... This will give me some zen time to reflect on what a great companion my Treo 700p has been for the past three years!

This "time of silence" might be best spent camped outside of Best Buy or Sprint!

I'll miss you Treo... but it's time to move on.

I WANT MY PRE!!!
    Last edited by sunspotwendy; 06/04/2009 at 11:42 AM.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Its funny someone mentions this. This past week on my blackberry I've had a couple software glitches that I've never experienced before in my year of using it.
    Oh and when skynet becomes self aware I guess we are all in trouble.
    My Centro knew it was coming too. I sold my SERO plan+Centro to someone on Craigslist last night so I could setup a new line of service on Saturday and get the Pre for $199. (I only qualified for the $75 discount so it was useless to switch to the everything data with that phone)

Before I sold it to him I changed the telephone number on the account and programmed it to take the new number. Tried a few texts out with the new number and made a phone call.

When I got to the Sprint store to do the Transfer of Liability with the guy, suddenly the phone wouldn't dial out. Turns out the MSID got switched back to the old one some how. The Sprint rep reprogrammed the phone and everything worked fine again. The guy I sold it to was a little worried before that though and almost seemed like he wasn't going to buy it!

Glad to see it go though. I got $125 for it which goes towards my Pre! It's just really weird not having a cell phone for 2 days. Funny how we get so used to having them around all the time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspotwendy View Post
    Last night my Treo entered into a seemingly unstoppable Hotsync loop, where it thinks I've connected it to the computer but I haven't. From what I've read, this is a symptom of moisture or shorting of the contacts for the cable connection... But all fixes I've attempted have thus far been unsuccessful.

Is this a fluke? I don't think so... I'm pretty sure my Treo knows what is going on. After all, it has been the primary conduit for all of the resarch I've been doing on the Pre! Ah, poor faithful Treo.. After all these years, we must part ways.

It looks like I will have a couple of days of "no phone" silence... This will give me some zen time to reflect on what a great companion my Treo 700p has been for the past three years!

Looks like my this "time of silence" might be best spent camped outside of Best Buy or Sprint!

I WANT MY PRE!!!
    all my gadgets seem to work better after i threaten to replace them, at least for a little while.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    time to get my centro listed on craigslist
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    This happens to me frequently when something new and exciting is coming. I swear I don't subconsciously do evil things to my current device, but they tend to flake out at an increasing pace when they sense my drifting loyalty. I've been ready to stomp on my treo 755p for a couple weeks now. I'm trying my hardest to NOT buy a Pre till people use it for a little while and the cool factor wears off.
    It's ok, my Centro jumped into my washing machine a week and a half ago...

I just hoping I get my Pre on Saturday.
    Yeah, my Treo 800w is walking the Green Mile... All this week its been progressively getting worse, lol..
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    A few months ago I left my 4.5 year-old 650 on the roof of the car & drove off. I heard something "hit" my bumper and realized it was my phone. After 20 minutes of retracing my route at 11pm, I found my beloved 650 in the middle of PCH.

The next day, I visited this site after a 3-yr hiatus to research a replacement and discovered PRE

edit: I forgot to mention the 650 avoided traffic and is alive & kicking with only a few more dings. It's also survived a dunk in the pool.
    Last edited by bbkat; 06/04/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkat View Post
    A few months ago I left my 4.5 year-old 650 on the roof of the car & drove off. I heard something "hit" my bumper and realized it was my phone. After 20 minutes of retracing my route at 11pm, I found my beloved 650 in the middle of PCH.

The next day, I visited this site after a 3-yr hiatus to research a replacement and discovered PRE

its fate then.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  12.    #12  
    I fear the onslaught of text messages when I get the phone up and running...
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    I think the same thing is happening with my Treo 650... poor lil guy knows he's going into my "things I might need some day" milk crate in the basement - my wife keeps trying to get me to throw things out that are in this box (old RCA cables, splitters, tons of CAT5 cables..)... but I may just need them "some day".

My poor Treo 650 was used more than I ever expected it to be. Once I purchased it, I immediately bought the Palm One GPS bluetooth transponder with TomTom 5 for it - still works great - although it is taking longer and longer to grab a satellite signal. The screen on my 650 is also blurry as @#$@, it has sooo much dust behind the top layer of the screen, that I can hardle read stuff that's planted right in the middle of the screen. I've even lost a few screws (pun possibly intended) for the phone, so I had to use a bit of glue to hold it all together around the edges. Lastly, since the screws are missing, and I've dropped it 242436 times, it now "freezes" a lot, and must be reset in order to get functioning again.

I have had this phone for nearly 5 years, and I definitely think it knows something is up. It knows that its days are numbered, and it may not ever be used again - unless I can sell it to some unsuspecting dude who wants to use an old, outdated Treo as a GPS device!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    I think the same thing is happening with my Treo 650... poor lil guy knows he's going into my "things I might need some day" milk crate in the basement - my wife keeps trying to get me to throw things out that are in this box (old RCA cables, splitters, tons of CAT5 cables..)... but I may just need them "some day".
    I have just such an "archival vessel" in my basement!

It contains such treasures as my original QuickCam, my first cell phone, and even an old Compaq iPaq.

Stuff I will never again use, but I doubt anyone else would want (and even if they did, selling/donating is not worth the effort at this point).
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    My old dumb phone has had a busted screen for months now. Theres a streak of black pixels that actually resembles the Star Trek logo oddly enough. I can still read two thirds of the screen but it has made text messaging a trick proposition having to piece together whats hidden under the black. Instead of paying the 50 dollar deductable Ive been holding out for the pre

"We can go out after s(blacked out)x"

Imagine my disappointment when it turned out she meant six.
    I just wanted to give the nod to my 700p before I run out and replace it.

My Treo is a workhorse. Its battery lasts forever, it has a great keyboard, has tons of useful apps (like butler), and I can (and do) drop it routinely...and it just keeps working.

The Pre may be revolutionary, but it has a ways to go before I'll forget my trusty old Treo.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspotwendy View Post

This "time of silence" might be best spent camped outside of Best Buy or Sprint!

I WANT MY PRE!!!
    Have you tried the suggestion from post 8 in this thread?

I started a thread, too, but I can't find it now. I'm thinking the recent surge in activity caused the SPE folks to purge posts from less active subforums.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    There are a lot of reports of this behavior on Centros due to corrosion on the hotsync connector, as sunspotwendy suggests.

My wife's Centro displayed exactly these symptoms and I was able to temporarily fix it by taking a sewing needle and carefully running it along each conductor line in the connector to clean it. The problem eventually came back and she was able to get a free warranty replacement since apparently the problem is widespread. But try it - might keep you working until Saturday.
    *grin* My 755P has been hiding from me since around 5PM yesterday. I JUST found it.

It's curtains for you kid!
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Have you tried the suggestion from post 8 in this thread?

I started a thread, too, but I can't find it now. I'm thinking the recent surge in activity caused the SPE folks to purge posts from less active subforums.
    Thanks for the link, but I think that's a different problem... What I am experiencing is exactly like this:

*D'OH! I'm not allowed to post URL's yet because I don't have enough posts! Well, anyway... there's a great discussion about it on treocentral.com in the 650 forum. I'll link it once I am worthy of link posting!*

I tried some of the basic fixes, but until I can find a wee screwdriver with a torx bit I'll have to wait to clean up the PCBs!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast