1.    #1  
    Quick question (tried to search the forums but search seems broken or something as it keeps failing).

Does the Pre email client have a search email capability?

Engaget review said universal search does not include email and it wasn't clear if the email app had a separate search built-in or not.

Thanks!
    One of the reviews (either here or Mossberg, I think) said no search capability in email.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Yup. It's Universal Search (for Apps and Contacts only).

Expect this to be corrected SOON after launch. It's merely an indexing issue. I don't see this being a huge problem for long.

But... it's very annoying to say the least. Calendars, memos, tasks? C'mon Palm... I can do this on my Treos! One hundred steps forward... ten steps back...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    This is a huge bummer. I mean, yea universal search is great but it is things you can already search in other places. Great, I can type something and tap google instead of going to google and typing it. That saves a few moments, and is a nice feature but isn't HUGE IMO.

Not being able to search your mail or calendar easily negates any time you save from universal search. I just can't understand how Palm would make Universal Search such a integral part of the phone, but leave these two out. I mean, you can search your tasks but not your mail or calendar? I don't get it.
    Took apple two years to add this feature. Palm omitting it is rediculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    as you said, took apple 2 years...i'd be willing to bet palm adds it soon. there has already been 1 firmware update and there will be many more to come. it's a 1st gen release...give it a little time.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Spelled ridiculous. And I agree.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Spelled ridiculous. And I agree.
    thank you.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the info! Wow, I am SHOCKED that Palm excluded this after making their search such a big deal during the announcement at CES.
    You can search within certain apps, just not universally

User Guide page 73

Search Within an Application
    In applications such as Contacts, Memos, Doc View, and PDF View, you can search for entries or files. From the list view, enter the file name; a few words from a memo; or a contact name, initials, address, or number. See the application chapter for details.
    You can also enter a search term in the Help application to search for help content related to the term.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I am hoping that you can at least search within the email application. I have been with Palm with a 650 t0 700p to 755p, and I was planning on getting up early to grab a Pre on Satuday. However, this would be a deal breaker if I couldn't search email. I get 150 emails a day from clients and co-workers. I'd be dead in the water if I couldn't do a key word search.
    You can search within certain apps, just not universally

User Guide page 73

Quote:

Search Within an Application
    In applications such as Contacts, Memos, Doc View, and PDF View, you can search for entries or files. From the list view, enter the file name; a few words from a memo; or a contact name, initials, address, or number. See the application chapter for details.
    You can also enter a search term in the Help application to search for help content related to the term.

Wait a minute, you can't even search within the calendar app?! That's a deal breaker for me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    The wording "In applications such as..." leaves it open for any application to allow search. If it's not in this iteration, I'll bet it'll be there at some point, probably soon.

As far as Universal Search goes, though, I'd rather they leave it simple. I like the idea that a quick couple of keystrokes pulls up contacts and apps, and then gives the immediately accessible Web search options. Too long a list would push those buttons off the screen.

Perhaps Palm or someone could create an app for system-wide searching. Of course, would have to be Palm at first, since apparently they're not opening up the core PIM apps for data access to 3rd party devs. Hopefully they'll open that up as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic