Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I just returned from my local sprint store and they told me something interesting. Basically, they confirmed that you must activate your phone in the store before leaving and that you must keep the phone activated on that line for 30 days otherwise you will be charged full price.

This got me to thinking why they would do this? Well what I realized is that it could eliminate a couple things. If there are people on a joint plan but not available for an upgrade themselves, they cannot use someone else who has an upgrade on the plan. Unless they can live with that person having the phone for 30 days. Of course, there are exceptions depending on your relationship with your sprint rep.

Also, requiring it to be active for thirty days will eliminate random people who don't even want the phone from buying one and selling it with a markup. If they wait the 30 days, the buzz should probably subside and there will more than likely be a refreshed stock of Pres at Sprint stores. So there will be no reason for someone to buy one for an extremely high price of around $700 or $800.

I think these two reasons combined will give sprint just enough Pres for sale to meet the initial demand. In my opinion, this is a very, very smart move on sprints part. Has anyone heard similar things from their sprint store?
    Last edited by palandri; 06/04/2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Maybe you should re-title the thread, "Re-selling Pre for profit no more?" I thought you were talking about Palm/Sprint's profit margins.
    Celsian,

I think the point is that right now Sprint is only allowing activations through the stores. So if you do the activate device on the web, it will probably send up flags and not work, and refer you to a store.
    This can all be eliminated by buying from a third party. Take this for example... buy the phone from Best Buy, Walmart or RadioShack and A) start a new line of service or B) Add a new line of service to your existing plan. Purchase the Pre for that new line, activate it in the Best Buy, Walmart or whatever, then leave.

At this point you have a few things going on:
    -You have a Pre for the discounted price. (Since there is an instant rebate at the 3rd party vendors and you are given an immediate $150 off for starting a new line.)
    -You have a new line of service which you can cancel within 30 days of activation at no cost.

A day or so later you do the following, call up Sprint and terminate the new line of service you started for the Pre. The Sprint rep will ask you, "have already returned the phone?" You will reply in the affirmative. Of course, you haven't, it's still in your hand. They'll proceed to send you to retentions where you'll have to ignore all of their offers to keep your line active. Finally, they'll terminate that line.

Now, the final step. You'll need to login to your sprint account from a computer, go to the line you want to activate the phone on and select "activate new device" or whatever the link is. Put in the ESN and as long as you have an everything plan, the phone will activate.

Disclaimer: Obviously this is shady business, but it's the only answer for people who are not eligible for an upgrade anytime soon. Hope this helps, and hope I don't get flamed too badly for being immoral = ( I'm just tired of being screwed on new phone pricing.

FURTHERMORE: I do not intend for this method to be used in order to get a phone you can sell for profit. I only posted this so that people who want the Pre, but cannot afford it until their upgrade comes around, can get it now.
    Argent, even if that were the case though, you could go into the store and say, "I bought this at best buy, now there's a problem..."
    The point of the post was only to stimulate thought on a possible way around the problem, no guarantee's it will work.
    this also makes sense b/c the rumor has it that it won't be available for telesales/online right away. Hmmm you make good points bpdamas
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Maybe you should re-title the thread, "Re-selling Pre for profit no more?" I thought you were talking about Palm/Sprint's profit margins.
    Touche. And sprint has profit margins
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bballintom22 View Post
    this also makes sense b/c the rumor has it that it won't be available for telesales/online right away. Hmmm you make good points bpdamas
    I agree. It seems like sprint/palm has really thought through the release of this phone. That is somewhat reassuring from both the sprint side of things and the palm side of things.
    would not sell it anyway, can't wait to get mine
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Definite truth to this- talked to one of my friends who is the Asst. Mgr. for a store south of Boston...not only can you not buy the Pre without an activation, employees cannot get a Pre that they purchased at Best Buy or RadioShack activated for themselves either.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Also, requiring it to be active for thirty days will eliminate random people who don't even want the phone from buying one and selling it with a markup. If they wait the 30 days, the buzz should probably subside and there will more than likely be a refreshed stock of Pres at Sprint stores. So there will be no reason for someone to buy one for an extremely high price of around $700 or $800.
    I think your suppositions are wrong. You can walk out with it for $550 with no activation. If it is on ebay for $600 or more you can ebay it. If you lis tit on ebay at a minim of $600 and it doesnt sell you simply walk back into the sprint store after 4 weeks and return it for full credit.

Where do you get "$700 or $800"? Even best buy will sell them for $550 on simple request, because they price match sprint for retail.
    Basically, they confirmed that you must activate your phone in the store before leaving and that you must keep the phone activated on that line for 30 days otherwise you will be charged full price.
    Are you sure they didn't say you just won't qualify for the MIR anymore? I find it hard to believe that if you get the phone activated on one line, then decide to transfer it to another, that they could charge you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Are you sure they didn't say you just won't qualify for the MIR anymore? I find it hard to believe that if you get the phone activated on one line, then decide to transfer it to another, that they could charge you again.
    I've had two different reps tell me two different things about this. The first one said I wouldn't get my MIR if I did an ESN swap. The second rep said I was risking being back-charged for the full price of the phone.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    You'll want to keep a pre activated for more than 30 days if you want your MIR.

I plan to resell one of my phones as soon as the MIR comes back.
    I just spoke with a rep via chat and she said the only problem I could face by switching ESNs is the loss of the MIR (if done before 30 days have passed).

She also said that phones didn't HAVE to me activated at the store. Guess we'll see. I'd love to not have to do the ESN swap and get right to WebOS goodness...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I think your suppositions are wrong. You can walk out with it for $550 with no activation. If it is on ebay for $600 or more you can ebay it. If you lis tit on ebay at a minim of $600 and it doesnt sell you simply walk back into the sprint store after 4 weeks and return it for full credit.

Where do you get "$700 or $800"? Even best buy will sell them for $550 on simple request, because they price match sprint for retail.
    So.....what I take from your response is that you have not heard similar things from your sprint store. I originally said that they told me you could not leave the store without it activated. Since you apparently did not hear the same thing
    You can walk out with it for $550 with no activation.
    I can see why you think I am incorrect in my thought process.

The $700 or $800 was taken from some of the ebay prices I have seen. Also, I am not sure about you, but for me, potentially standing in line for a phone only to pay $549 and then sell it on ebay for $600 is not worth the time to make such a small profit. I figured others out there might think the same thing and therefore not buy the phone.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    What they told me is that I had to the phone activated for 30 days otherwise you have to pay full price. They could have been mistaken and meant only lose the MIR but they could have been right as well. We will just wait and see.
    The $700 or $800 was taken from some of the ebay prices I have seen. Also, I am not sure about you, but for me, potentially standing in line for a phone only to pay $549 and then sell it on ebay for $600 is not worth the time to make such a small profit. I figured others out there might think the same thing and therefore not buy the phone.
    The activation is for the discounted price. You don't need to activate it to get buy at retail priice.

Seconly you implied purchase price of $700 or $800. It is $550.

Do you understand the issue is not the profit? you can buy the phone at retail on day one. and if ebay goes to $700 you can sell it on ebay. If not you can reu8trn it to Sprint. they have 30 days no questioned asked.

for that matter you can buy it, not activate it, play with it and use all functions off network and return it used to sprint for full refund.

I have been with Sprint for 12 years. You can take ANY phone home unactivated play with it for a month and return it used for full refund.
    time to sell my treo300 i think...
    ETUTREO300
    so what if i want to return the Pre before the 30 days, I lose the MIR? I thought you only have to pay for the minutes and data you used for that time frame. 30 day trial period...
  20.    #20  
    The activation is for the discounted price. You don't need to activate it to get buy at retail priice.

Seconly you implied purchase price of $700 or $800. It is $550.

Do you understand the issue is not the profit? you can buy the phone at retail on day one. and if ebay goes to $700 you can sell it on ebay. If not you can reu8trn it to Sprint. they have 30 days no questioned asked.

for that matter you can buy it, not activate it, play with it and use all functions off network and return it used to sprint for full refund.

I have been with Sprint for 12 years. You can take ANY phone home unactivated play with it for a month and return it used for full refund.
    I agree with everything you are saying. My point is it will discourage people from buying a phone just to sell it specifically for a profit. Since there is a substantially smaller profit margin than what it could be people won't be as opted to buy it just to make a quick buck and then purchase a new phone. Hypothetically, let's say you can sell it on ebay for $700. $700-$549=$151 With activation and a two year contract you can get the phone for $199 (after MIR at sprint) 700-$199=$501. To get this price you must keep it activated for 30 days (again, that is what a sprint employee told me) and if you sell it within this 30 day window you will be charged full price. $501>$151. What this does is not make it as appealing for people to purchase the phone when they don't really want it just to make some money. By potentially reducing those type of people's profit margin from $501 to $199, they effectively have increased the stock of phones available to people that actually want the phone. Granted this is not a definite deterrence for people to still try it, I just think it will reduce the number of people who actually will.

Hence, we come full circle and why I think it is a very, very smart move on sprint/palms part. Especially, since there have been rumors that the manufacturing company making the Pre was having issues making it, thus reducing their inventory. So with a short stock it was even smarter. That is all I was saying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast