1.    #1  
    Hello, I am going to get a pre and was wondering if anyone knows how To transfer my email contacts from .mac account to the pre. If anyone knows and can help me I would really appreciate it The wait is killing me for the pre. Just a couple days now!
    I am wondering the same thing in regards to mobileme. I want to transfer from ical, address book, and safari bookmarks. Thanks in advance.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    You'll need a gmail account or Google Apps account for this. I assume you might already have one... I'm assuming you're using Address Book 4.1.2

The easiest way to do it is to:
    1. Open Address Book.
    2. In the Menu bar, click on Address Book -> Preferences.
    3. On the General Tab, you'll see "Synchronize with Google." Check the box and click on the button.
    4. Enter your ENTIRE email address "user@domain.com" and password.
    5. Now whenever you have MobileMe setup to sync, your contacts will get updated to Google as well.

Some problems you'll find with Google. Google does not use discrete contact fields. They use blobs. (i.e. Address Book stores FIRST NAME, MIDDLE, and LAST NAME separate. Google stores NAME.) Contacts are required to have their own email addresses, so this can be a pain.

Example: Husband and wife share same email address (like my wife and I) but two separate contacts, one for husband and one for wife. Google will reject one of them.

Let me know if you have problems.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Thanks.
    Jimmie Geddes
  5.    #5  
    Thank you. Is there a way to have the pres email linked to my .mac email, so when I get a new email on my .mac account I will get a notification on my pre and can view it on my pre?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    As for Calendar....

Google CalDAV Instructions for iCal

Now, here's the problem with this method. CalDAV calendars need to be created in Google first. So, here's the easiest solution:

1. Prior to setting up CalDAV in iCal, I recommend you create the same Calendars in Google. (i.e. if you have a Personal calendar in MobileMe, create on in Google. Rinse, repeat)

Now... you have two options here. The easiest way is to use a program called SpanningSync. There is a 15 day free trial located here. This will allow you to link calendars together and transfer ALL of your appointments at once. Once this initial transfer is done, you would need to disable MobileMe for the time being. You'll end up with duplicate appointments if you're using two cloud solutions.

Second option, is to just drag and drop appointments from the MobileMe calendars to your Google Calendars. This works well if you're only worried about a handful of items, since there is no List view in iCal.

Now, from this point on you Google Calendars will be displayed in iCal and you can keep them in sync with your new Pre!

(I may not have explained this well, shoot me a PM if you're confused and need direct help.)
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surfratt View Post
    Thank you. Is there a way to have the pres email linked to my .mac email, so when I get a new email on my .mac account I will get a notification on my pre and can view it on my pre?
    Setup a new email account on the Pre:
    1. Open Email on the Pre.
    2. Click on Email in the upper left corner.
    3. Select Preferences and Accounts.
    4. Scroll to the bottom. Click "Add An Account"
    5. Do not enter your email and password yet. Click on Email again in the upper left corner. Choose "Manual Setup".
    6. Use the following Settings:
    Mail Type: IMAP
    Email Address: Your address (user@domain.com)
    Incoming Server Name: mail.me.com (for me.com addresses) or mail.mac.com (for mac.com addresses)
    Username: Enter your full email address
    Password: Password
    Port: 993
    Encryption: SSL

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.me.com (for me.com addresses) or smtp.mac.com (for mac.com addresses)
    Use Authentication: On
    Port: 465
    Encryption: SSL
    7. Click Signin.

Enjoy.
  8.    #8  
    You are the BOMB! Thank you for the quick and comprehensive replies
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Mobile Me (was .mac) was a open service designed for desktop to smartphone sync before Apple bought it. It uses IMAP email, which is available on the Pre.

Whether the Pre will sync with calendar and contacts on Mobile Me is a question mark.

It will be easy to find out if it does. Just set up a Mobile Me email account and see if it pulls in calendar and contacts.

If not Mac Address Book already syncs with Mobile Me, Exchange, and Yahoo.

iCal instructions to sync Google calendar with iCal are here:
    Get Started with CalDAV - Google Calendar Help

I have not tested the iCal to Google calendar sync, so you on your own.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I looked at Spanning Sync and something called BusySync, and decided on BusySync from Busymac.com

Just personally, I prefer BusySync's methodology. YMMV
    Awesome! I was looking for this information...thanks!
    Brandon
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Oh yes, there is another technique.

When you get your Pre, you have an option of downloading the Data Transfer Agent for Mac or PC from a web site.

That can transfer address and calendar info from the Palm OS version of your calendar and address files from your Mac or PC to the Pre. The advantage here is you don't have to worry about cloud sync, you just get a local copy on your Pre.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē