Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else; there are so many threads lately.

In my research on whether to wait out at Best Buy or a Corporate store, I called a couple Sprint-dedicated stores around my area to make sure they were opening at 8. The first store I called said they wouldn't have any information about opening until tomorrow (Friday) night, but he said "secretly" it would probably be 8. The second store wouldn't give me any information at all, just to call back tomorrow night.

Is it possible they still have something brewing? Obviously everyone has been talking about opening at 8AM Saturday morning, and possible pre-sale to people who signed up for emails Friday night. Anyone out there still holding out hope.
    I plan to arrive at my local corporate store at 6 in the morning. "Just in case."

But like you, Akula, and everyone else. I know nothing!
    Sprint and Palm have a Shotgun pointed at their feet. Guess what happens next?
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    my store was acting all shady too, they said they would have it, wasnt sure how many, and are opening at 8 on sat.
    and this store is too small for appts.
    ha
    Same with my store - all they say is they are opening at 8. Won't tell me how many Pres they have, whatever.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    yeah, the girl on the phone kinda paused when i asked, ha ive called everyday..
    they said they are being kept in the dark until sat.
    I was thinking about this more this morning. I called my local store yesterday, and they confirmed the 8:00am opening. Interestingly, the guy also said that 8 out of 10 phone calls were about the Pre.

However, my question is this: what's the value of opening at 8:00am if you don't advertise that you're doing so? When retail stores of any kind have a sale with special hours, they advertise the heck out of the fact lest they waste the manpower in staffing the extra hours.

So, either Sprint is counting on pure word of mouth to get people to show up a few hours early. Or, they've told their employees to be there at 8:00am, but haven't yet told them why. It wouldn't be difficult to say, "Oh, by the way, between 8am and 10am, we're only selling the Pre to folks who bring in a printout of their email." Those folks could also pretty easily be S|P customers.

Pure, idle speculation, of course. With all the reviews out and very few questions remaining about the Pre itself, what else do we have to speculate about?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I'm presuming that you guys are all referring to "non-corporate" Sprint stores. Because from what I understand, all the corporate stores are NOT going to open early.
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
    I'm presuming that you guys are all referring to "non-corporate" Sprint stores. Because from what I understand, all the corporate stores are NOT going to open early.
    Maybe they're not all opening early, buy my local corporate store is opening at 8:00am.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
    They will not be open extended hours on Friday (6pm-12am) to sell the Pre, but will be opening 8am Saturday morning.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    They will not be open extended hours on Friday (6pm-12am) to sell the Pre [except for select 'Pre Party' locations], but will be opening 8am Saturday morning.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    All 3 of the sprints I spoke with today (NJ) said they are opening or went back to 10am after being told to. Bummer. I then called NY store and they told me 10am also. Guess theres some order not to open early. thats ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    All 3 of the sprints I spoke with today (NJ) said they are opening or went back to 10am after being told to. Bummer. I then called NY store and they told me 10am also. Guess theres some order not to open early. thats ridiculous.
    Aha, the plot thickens. How's this for a theory? Sprint has told the stores to start telling "normal" folk that they won't be open until 10:00am. That then gives them the ability to open early for people who receive their invitations.

This, of course, goes along with my earlier presented theory that they're not advertising the 8:00am openings to reserve them for early purchases, either S|P or just anyone who asked to be notified. And indeed, if Sprint tells every Tom, ****, and Mary that they're opening at 8:00am, then how can they reserve the time for us freaks?
    I live in LA, and the only Sprint store that is currently advertised to specifically open at 8am is out in West Hollywood. LAME. Its like a 15 minute drive, but still LAME. THere are a bunch of Sprint stores in the West LA area. I was thinking of camping overnight, but the lack of advertisements makes me sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by tempuraudon View Post
    I live in LA, and the only Sprint store that is currently advertised to specifically open at 8am is out in West Hollywood. LAME. Its like a 15 minute drive, but still LAME. THere are a bunch of Sprint stores in the West LA area. I was thinking of camping overnight, but the lack of advertisements makes me sad.
    Does the lack of advertisements make you sad because you simply want more competition for the phone? Or do you take it that a lack of advertisements means that store's aren't opening at 8am?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    They will not be open extended hours on Friday (6pm-12am) to sell the Pre, but will be opening 8am Saturday morning.
    Yup. Just confirmed that with the corporate store nearest me yesterday.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    i prefer less advertisement, until after i get mine, then they can go crazy! which they probably will in the weeks following, once palm recoups some cash money
    Either your store got no units (I find that hard to believe), or they are playing stupid. Some Sprint stores are acting like complete idiots. This is what may hurt sprint even more then anything else.

All stores got their Pre stocks in either yesterday or today. They have all had training and they all have had emails/meetings to know exactly what to do. At this point, your best bet is to go into the store and talk to the manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Either your store got no units (I find that hard to believe), or they are playing stupid. Some Sprint stores are acting like complete idiots. This is what may hurt sprint even more then anything else.

That's what annoyed me about my local corporate store.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!