1.    #1  
    I searched but did not find this anywhere else.

There's little doubt that the Palm Pre will become Sprint's best and most sophisticated smartphone when it launches this week. I called it the most exciting product at CES 2009, and it is, in fact, the only product we're still talking about six months after the show. Still, I think there are a lot of misconceptions about who will buy this phone and why those people might consider it in the first place.

But let's get something straight first. The Palm Pre is not competing with the iPhone. I know that everyone likes to create this kind of buzz. Anything new, fresh, and exciting is always seen as "The [Insert Market Leader Here] Killer." That's why every new search engine is pitched or touted as a "Google Killer," though none are.

Read the rest here from PC Mag:
    Pre Is Not Competing with the iPhone - Columns by PC Magazine
    Last edited by solar_plexus; 06/04/2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: For readability
    Well if I remember correctly, Sprint took shots at the iPhone with the Instinct.. Failed miserably.. And I owned one.. I was rooting for Sprint. But I think they learned their lesson. Ironic how they attacked Apple with a crap phone (IMO), failed.. took a step back and left it as that. Now they have this thing.. Which literally is the first device out of any company and carrier to truly go up against the iPhone, and Sprint mentions nothing about them.

I think they are just humble now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    I think they are just humble now.
    Wouldn't you be when your phone fails missssserably? I too was rooting for the instinct to beat the iPhone, then I bought one, actually four, WHAT TRASH!

It was silly of us to think that a device made by Samsung would beat the crew in Cupertino.
    His point is rather obvious. Been saying it awhile. But iphone vs pre is simply too enticing for the "reviewers" to pass up.

It's really these two phones vs the rest. Android has potential but is still a ways off. Palm will suck up Sprint users right now along with old palm, RIM & WM users.

Regarding apps, i expect this to get better fast. The ease of developing is there and Palm mentions 1000's waiting to develop them.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    His point is rather obvious. Been saying it awhile. But iphone vs pre is simply too enticing for the "reviewers" to pass up.

It's really these two phones vs the rest. Android has potential but is still a ways off. Palm will suck up Sprint users right now along with old palm, RIM & WM users.

Regarding apps, i expect this to get better fast. The ease of developing is there and Palm mentions 1000's waiting to develop them.
    you are exactly right. The pre vs iphone "fight" is just too sexy to pass up. I am just happy a major outlet FINALLY bucked the trend.....
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    why doesn't it? Actually, they should start comparing the Iphone to the Pre, because the Pre does more.
    I've said it before and the article is right. However, it doesn't look like Palm's strategy is to target it's existing base for an upgrade. There are MANY Centro, 650, 700p and 755 owners who have been suffering from iPhone gadget envy. They are prime targets, but I see NOTHING targeting them as a group.

20 somethings that didn't know they needed a "smart" phone may be the largest group, but DO THEY HAVE THE MONEY? The older folks are probably more resistant to Apple and have the money, but do they think they need a smartphone? I dunno, but Palm has some targeting to do here to get outside of happy Palm users.
    Umm..if you saw Palm's past commercials along with the latest one on Facebook, you'll quickly realize they don't have a clue about marketing in general much less targeting anyone. Fortunately for Palm, the device speaks for itself. Word of mouth, internet buzz, and carrier advertising will have to do.

If i was Palm and all i could come up with is crap like that facebook junk, i'd save the money and pour it into producing more Pre's or enticing some developers to get some killer apps.
    My question is how could it NOT be competing against the iPhone?!?

Let's think about this for a second...
    They hired a lot of gurus from Apple to help create the Palm. They are the same class of smartphone with virtually the same specs, and on features that are different Palm is trying to outdo the iPhone. Some of the gestures are identical to the iPhone. They made the Pre show up as an Apple device so it could sync to iTunes for Godsake! Palm may be claiming they are not competing against the iPhone but I think that is just for strategic reasons.
    Umm..they're trying to outdo the others, not apple. Itunes syncing isn't outdoing Apple at all...but it does outdo RIM's devices, or WM phones, etc.

They've taken jabs at Apple with the battery and kb but so what? Palm has always had that.

You look at the Pre with kb out and IMO, you immediately think of similar type phones with kb's. These are the blackberries, older palms, wm phones. These are the users who will much more quickly buy into webOS with its multitasking pda rich apps.
    Palm isn't competing with Apple like Ford isn't competing with Chevy.

Keyboard or no keyboard doesn't make a difference because then you'd have to say the G1 isn't trying to compete with the iPhone. The sum of the OS, features and specs says they are directly competing. People always have thought a iPhone killer would look and behave exactly like an iPhone and that's the mistake Palm didn't make because that would make it a clone, not a competitor. Hell, even McNamee has been saying the Pre is a competitor to the iPhone.
    Umm..if you saw Palm's past commercials along with the latest one on Facebook, you'll quickly realize they don't have a clue about marketing in general much less targeting anyone. Fortunately for Palm, the device speaks for itself. Word of mouth, internet buzz, and carrier advertising will have to do.

If i was Palm and all i could come up with is crap like that facebook junk, i'd save the money and pour it into producing more Pre's or enticing some developers to get some killer apps.
    And you are - a-hem - an expert in marketing?

I admit I know very little (if anything at all) about marketing. But I can tell you one thing: Marketing is very much about psychology. If you market a product and start tooting about processors and Megs and Gigs and specs, people are going to shut it off -- that's geek stuff. Geeks are not popular.

People are swayed by emotion: Go ahead, pique my interest!!! If you've never heard of the Pre but have a vague memory of "some company named Palm" somewhere in the back of your mind from years ago. If that were you... try and tell me that the new commercial would not pique your interest. It's beautiful (the scenery, the woman) and feels very personal (her voice is low, sounds almost like your own voice inside your head). Now what's that voice saying: Keep on top of every aspect of your life, knowing what all your peeps are up to. The commercial focuses on the main character, her life and what's going on in her mind. It implies, "this device will help organize all that and keep you in contact." That's the only message they need to convey.

Now try and tell me it didn't take a degree in marketing and psych to come up with a commercial like that.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    What will make or break this phone are apps and ease of use. This is why I loved the original Palm. This is why I love my iPod Touch (no iPhone because I'm on Sprint - otherwise, I'd be all over it). And why I tolerate my current Windows Mobile phone (HTC Touch Pro).

Biggest deal breaker is the tethering. If there is no tethering app upon launch, I will wait until there is one. I've used PDANet (unreliable), then USB Modem (love it) on my Palm. Now I have WMWifiRouter for WinMo. I recently bought that app, too, so I want to stick around WM longer to make it worth the $30.

The apps on the iPhone is insane! If the Pre have this kind of support, I'll bite (Pandora, Myspace app, Facebook app, usefull apps, and useless apps that are just fun to have).

There's one thing I'm kinda pissed off at - Sprint/Palm is not advertising this phone! They did it for the "craptastic" Instinct, so why not a real contender like the Palm Pre?

It would have to show people how to use it (much like the iPhone comercials) - just show how cool the gesture interface is, as well as some apps that are available for free. People respond very well to these comercials instead of the flashy stuff that doesn't even show how the phone works or why we would want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

I admit I know very little (if anything at all) about marketing. But I can tell you one thing: Marketing is very much about psychology. If you market a product and start tooting about processors and Megs and Gigs and specs, people are going to shut it off -- that's geek stuff. Geeks are not popular.

People are swayed by emotion: Go ahead, pique my interest!!! If you've never heard of the Pre but have a vague memory of "some company named Palm" somewhere in the back of your mind from years ago. If that were you... try and tell me that the new commercial would not pique your interest. It's beautiful (the scenery, the woman) and feels very personal (her voice is low, sounds almost like your own voice inside your head). Now what's that voice saying: Keep on top of every aspect of your life, knowing what all your peeps are up to. The commercial focuses on the main character, her life and what's going on in her mind. It implies, "this device will help organize all that and keep you in contact." That's the only message they need to convey.

Now try and tell me it didn't take a degree in marketing and psych to come up with a commercial like that.
    With this type product, marketing is visual. The main star is the Pre (and webOS).

It's actually very simple. We were blown away at CES. The star was the Pre & webOS. The people showing it? Who cares.. Where it was shown at? Who cares.. What pictures were in the background? Who cares...

I don't have a psych degree but i do have an MBA & common sense. Want to impress people? Show what it can do. Not this nonsense that Palm's marketers came up with that looked more like a feminine hygiene commercial.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I didn't read the article because I simply don't care enough about it. But if it would be impractical to own both products in question then they are in direct competition. And when it comes to these phones then nobody would own both an iPhone and Pre.

(And when I say "nobody" I exclude myself. I carry a Touch Pro and a disabled iPhone that I use for media, camera and games. The Pre will eliminate the need for 2 devices and therefore Sprint wins a customer. Done and Done.)
    Last edited by Urkel; 06/04/2009 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

I'm a marketing professional, and I agree with this 100%. You have to consider who Palm's going after, and what their objectives are at this point. The ad's intent is to re-establish the Palm brand, not specifically to sell the Pre. Those ads will come later.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Not this nonsense that Palm's marketers came up with that looked more like a feminine hygiene commercial.
    Funny you should say that, considering that consumer products companies are fracking marketing and advertising geniuses. What, do you think feminine hygiene makers aren't trying to sell their products?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm a marketing professional, and I agree with this 100%. You have to consider who Palm's going after, and what their objectives are at this point. The ad's intent is to re-establish the Palm brand, not specifically to sell the Pre. Those ads will come later.
    I also agree, which I think is why they don't want to be known as an iPhone competitor right now because so many have already tried and failed that the public wouldn't listen to any advertising that refers to itself as an iPhone competitor. They're more interested in bringing back the Palm name.
    With this type product, marketing is visual. The main star is the Pre (and webOS).
    No, this commercial says, "YOU" (your life and getting it organized) are the star; and the Pre is the tool that's going to get you there.

It's actually very simple. We were blown away at CES. The star was the Pre & webOS. The people showing it? Who cares.. Where it was shown at? Who cares.. What pictures were in the background? Who cares...
    Yes, WE were blown away... we tech geeks. Are we the target?

I don't have a psych degree but i do have an MBA & common sense. Want to impress people? Show what it can do. Not this nonsense that Palm's marketers came up with that looked more like a feminine hygiene commercial.
    Some of the best marketing EVER has been indirect. Many things don't follow what people consider to be "common sense." Think of this: Watching the blood go down the drain in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho was much more gripping than if he had simply shown a kitchin knife repeatedly thrust into the victem's body.
    Last edited by ronlongo; 06/04/2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus
    I called it the most exciting product at CES 2009, and it is, in fact, the only product we're still talking about six months after the show.
    That's because all the other hot new gizmos from CES have already been out in the marketplace for 2-3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus
    But let's get something straight first. The Palm Pre is not competing with the iPhone. I know that everyone likes to create this kind of buzz. A
    So you're saying Roger MacNamee's comment about Pres eating iPhones for breakfast at the AllThingsD conference has nothing to do with the Pre competing with the iPhone? How warm-and-fuzzy of you to think so.