Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Yay. I think this might be a lonely one!

BestBuy and a Sprint Corporate store are about 500ft apart in Williston, so I'm planning on getting out there early and making it happen
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Okay--so, the Sprint Corp store in Williston first told me that they're having regular hours, opening at 10, but now they're telling me they're opening at 8am, and that it'll be first-come first serve. Currently the BestBuy (#360) shows 1 Pre (based on last night's leaked stock numbers), and they'll be opening at 10am.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Hey Lee- looks like we were the first two in Vt to actually get it!
    Take care,
    Tom
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    Hey Lee- looks like we were the first two in Vt to actually get it!
    Take care,
    Tom
    Totally! It was a good experience...I felt bad for not saying by to you guys when I left...I guess after the wait and being the first one done, I sorta floated out of the store. Do you know how many others beyond the initial 10 they let in?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I think another 10 or so got there phones that day. By the time I left a few more came in. Unfortunately they allowed purchase of up to 5 phones, something Sprint should have thought about suspending for launch day...but Sprint will be Sprint in some ways. I had a friend get turned away after waiting who was 14th in line in Hyannis.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Hey guys,

I'd be very grateful if you could give me a little info on the Pre/Sprint in Vermont:

I'm likely moving to somewhere in or between the Montpelier/Barre area and Randolph/Randolph Center. I know from looking at the coverage maps that even along 89 coverage is pretty weak south of Montpelier, but on a recent weekend there with my 755p set on Sprint-only seemed to have coverage in more areas than the coverage map would indicate.

I've been following the Pre closely - and would already have one if I thought I was staying in the Boston area - and I've seen concerns about the signal strength.

How's the Pre experience up there? Are you roaming a lot? How's data roaming VZW? No GPS roaming on VZW, is there? Any experience with Sprint booting folks off for roaming too much?

My contract is up in December, but I'd much rather stay with Sprint for the cheaper rates if service is okay. I'm just concerned about buying a new Pre and either being disappointed with service or getting my contract cancelled for roaming too much.

As it stands I'll probably wait until I move to see how things shake out within a return period, but any info/advice from you locals would be much appreciated!
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by virtual-human View Post
    Hey guys,

How's the Pre experience up there? Are you roaming a lot? How's data roaming VZW? No GPS roaming on VZW, is there? Any experience with Sprint booting folks off for roaming too much?
    Hey the Pre on Sprint works great here in VT. As far as coverage, I never roam in the Burlington area and it keeps 3g coverage without any trouble. A friend of mine travels throughout the state for his job with a Centro. He does put the phone in 'roam only' on those occasions where Sprint is lacking.

Data and voice roaming on VZW are both available. Roaming with VZW does slow the phone somewhat, but still faster than ATT EDGE. In Vermont that's all ATT has available until they invest in some 3g towers. (The main frustration of my work Blackberry).

Sprint puts America Roaming on plans sold here up front. Being kicked off for too much roaming is not a worry. In fact they are more likely to be on the receiving end of the issue from rural customers sick of having to roam too much.

Hope this helps you out. Gotta love the Pre and just deal with Sprint, but that's probably equally true of any of the wireless providers.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I mostly agree with Roams' thoughts above...since roaming, both data and voice, is included with the plans, it roams onto Verizon's network very fluidly, and I haven't noticed any issues. Come to think of it, I downloaded the 1.0.2 update on release day while driving through that area with no issues!

I used to be a VZW customer and I can tell you that their rural coverage in VT has always been excellent. If you look at the areas you mention on their maps (Coverage Locator - Verizon Wireless), you'll see that there's pretty thorough coverage through there, so you should be all set with the Pre.

Just make sure you set Data Roam on...it's off out of the box!
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I've looked at the maps and VZW definitely appears to have the best coverage up there.

I know that I'd get free voice & data roaming, but I am worried about the fact that there is a cap after which it's in our contracts that Sprint can (although anecdotally they don't always seem to choose to - ) cancel our contracts if we roam: more than half the minutes allotted on our plan, half of the total minutes *we actually use*, or over 300MB of data roamed, over a three-month period.

I've also still got some concerns over the reports that users are seeing less bars/more roaming on the Pre than their previous Sprint phones, and that this drains the battery very quickly and uses even more roaming minutes.

Still, waiting until January at the earliest for a Pre to maybe drop on Verizon, which could be crippled in various ways such as WiFi, GPS, etc, and will definitely cost a lot more isn't particularly attractive.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try one out once I get my residence nailed down and see how it pans out. Thanks again for the input.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by virtual-human View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I've looked at the maps and VZW definitely appears to have the best coverage up there.

I know that I'd get free voice & data roaming, but I am worried about the fact that there is a cap after which it's in our contracts that Sprint can (although anecdotally they don't always seem to choose to - ) cancel our contracts if we roam: more than half the minutes allotted on our plan, half of the total minutes *we actually use*, or over 300MB of data roamed, over a three-month period.

I've also still got some concerns over the reports that users are seeing less bars/more roaming on the Pre than their previous Sprint phones, and that this drains the battery very quickly and uses even more roaming minutes.

Still, waiting until January at the earliest for a Pre to maybe drop on Verizon, which could be crippled in various ways such as WiFi, GPS, etc, and will definitely cost a lot more isn't particularly attractive.

Anyway, I'm probably going to try one out once I get my residence nailed down and see how it pans out. Thanks again for the input.
    I guess the last tidbit I'd add is that I do live in an area with what I'd call "decent" coverage, but not exceptional, and I've spent a lot of time criss-crossing the state already, and I can say that the Pre doesn't get any worse signal that my BlackBerry 8330 did or the Q...and I feel the Q really didn't have good signal at all. I imagine for a lot of users that are having the biggest reception issues, they're likely in a marginal area anyway, so perhaps a slight reduction in performance makes the biggest difference to them, if that makes sense.

I'm a pretty heavy user, and I haven't run into any issues in the past with my roaming onto other networks--I know this was especially true when I was living in Maine for a while. I think that mostly those terms exist as threats to the biggest abusers. Even the folks I know who had iPhones in VT before they were available didn't bump into issues, despite AT&Ts serious threats about phones that "lived" in areas where the iPhone wasn't available at the time.

Hope this helps, and do feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about moving here!
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leez View Post
    I guess the last tidbit I'd add is that I do live in an area with what I'd call "decent" coverage, but not exceptional, and I've spent a lot of time criss-crossing the state already, and I can say that the Pre doesn't get any worse signal that my BlackBerry 8330 did or the Q...and I feel the Q really didn't have good signal at all. I imagine for a lot of users that are having the biggest reception issues, they're likely in a marginal area anyway, so perhaps a slight reduction in performance makes the biggest difference to them, if that makes sense.

Hope this helps, and do feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about moving here!
    Some nice observations by Leez.
    To add some comments on signal, I've also found the Pre keeps good reception. Traveling through a regular 'dead zone' on my Centro near Addison 4 corners area, I am surprised to now keep a connection on the Pre. This is also the first phone to at least give me voice mail notifications in a virtually dead zone at my parents in the Adirondacks.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    You know, it occurred to me that, assuming that no folks from VT were at release parties, I was the first person in the state to have a Pre!
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I've got it rooted, tethering enabled, all the homebrew apps I can use...I'm using 64 bit Vista so some of it was a challenge. Anyway, think there is interest for a rooting party here in VT? Just a thought.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    I've got it rooted, tethering enabled, all the homebrew apps I can use...I'm using 64 bit Vista so some of it was a challenge. Anyway, think there is interest for a rooting party here in VT? Just a thought.
    I'm in the same place--I've even started trying to cobble together a few apps. I was surprised to see that there wasn't a PreDevCamp location for Burlington. If there are other folks in the area interested, I think it'd be worth looking into.

Personally, I'm eager to get my hands on a book and really dig in.
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Just wanted to pop back in here and say thanks again, roams & leez. I ended up getting a Pre last week. Mostly loving the phone.

Took it up to VT last Saturday. It was great having NAV... until it chewed through a fully-charged battery on the Palm-branded car charger in just a couple of hours. I know weak signal/roaming/NAV are going to be rough on battery life, but on a charger?! I hope that the update or a better broken-in battery help things when I'm back up there tomorrow!
    Hello fellow Vermonters!

virtual-human, could you tell me how Sprints roaming is in Randolph/Randolph Ctr? I'm a Vermont Tech student (that's living in Randolph and working in Bethel this summer) and looking at the Pre since VZW and ATT aren't looking like they'll have Android devices anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts0x21 View Post
    Hello fellow Vermonters!

virtual-human, could you tell me how Sprints roaming is in Randolph/Randolph Ctr? I'm a Vermont Tech student (that's living in Randolph and working in Bethel this summer) and looking at the Pre since VZW and ATT aren't looking like they'll have Android devices anytime soon.
    Nuts, I've had it up more in the Montpelier/Berlin/Barre area than Randolph, but I had my Treo 755p at VTC in June. At the time I left it on Sprint-only since my plan didn't have free roaming. Coverage on campus seemed fine. Coverage in Randolph Center seems okay, while coverage in Randolph seemed a little spottier. There is also a bit of a weak signal/dropped call area just as you jump on I89 from VTC, and again just after you get on 89N. Now the Pre doesn't have nearly as good reception as my old Treo, so I'd guess things are a good bit spottier on the Pre, but it does roam on VZW which I think is pretty strong there. From what I've seen around Montpelier, sometimes the phone is dropping calls as it tries to figure out whether or not to roam, but at least you should probably mostly have some sort of signal.

It did seem to scramble itself after a while looking for a Sprint/roaming data connection today though, which you have to switch from Sprint-only if you want to allow roaming, and reported that none was available when I know there was coverage, even once I'd gotten back to the Boston area tonight. A reboot fixed that.

Just remember that roaming minutes come out of your "anytime" pool, so you might need to bump up to a plan with more minutes if you live/work/play in a place that turns out to make you roam a lot.

As for "anytime soon", from what I've read online it looks to me like VZW will likely have an android device by the end of the year (I don't know if that qualifies as soon to you, but Android wasn't coming fast enough for me). The bigger question to me though is whether they will cripple it and what the app store will look like.